Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Flex clunking noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 04:19 AM
SuperRobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex clunking noises

I had Tein Flex coilovers installed. I notice that on slow sharp turns I'm hearing clunking noises coming from front and back. Prime example is going down through one of those multi level parkades. You're going down the ramp and steer into a 90 degree turn for the next level and "clunk".
I'm suspicious that the "professional" wasn not done correctly - I'm going to get it checked out.

Anybody else had any similar problems?
Old 05-11-2004, 06:41 AM
jesse@ptp

The Flex kit makes noise I have talked to tein about it they said it's a known issue and there is nothing to do about it. Mine almost sounds like it's loose when going slow over certain bumps but I have checked it many times and all the bolts are tight. I guess it's not that bad but for the money paid for this kit it should be perfect.

Last edited by jesse@ptp; 05-11-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:00 AM
KShep

After install at slow speed over bumps I had noise from the rear strut tower. No noise at speeds over 35/40. Took it back and the techs found that while installing, a nut had loosened at the top of the coilover. The noise was very "clunky", but they checked all four corners and she's as quiet as stock now, even at slow speeds over bumps.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the pillow ball. They tend to make some noise- same with JIC. Cleaning out the pillow ball seems to remedy the noise for a few weeks- but it always comes back. Funny thing is I saw some brand new Flex coilovers at my friends shop the other day- Tein has completely redesigned the top of the rear coils. I've also heard from a few on this board that the newly designed Flex are less prone to noise.
I've grown quite accustomed to the rattle- unfortunately mine have recently developed an annoying and frequent clicking sound as well. Debating whether to swap out the suspension or just live with it.

Last edited by failsafe; 05-11-2004 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i just spoke to the TEIN representative on the phone.

its $60 service fee per shock to service
$100 per shock to revalve
$140 for the new upper rear mounts per shock,

so if you plan on rebuilding BOTH rear shocks, the price is around $600!!!

#%@# the customer service representative said "its best to sell off your old kit, and buy the new one...

fantastic advice.. (being sarcastic)....
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 AM
KShep

This is not good news. I know this is a sports car, but rattles annoy the crap out of me. Everything is quiet now, I'll wait and see if the noise returns. The right thing for Tien to do would be replace/swap old design for new, if new is designed to eliminate noise complaints. ( which I will be making should noise return )
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 PM
pLacebo
The Eradicator

I asked the Tein rep at SEMA if they would offer the redesigned rear coilovers to those who had purchased the early design (even at a discounted rate). He basically told me to go pound sand. Not surprised with the response from their customer service either. So I guess I'll do the only thing I can- tell customers and friends about their less than stellar customer service and recommend something else. When it comes time to replace my Flex I will not be replacing them with another set of Teins.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:15 PM
SuperRobin

Okay, get this, I had to drive home from work in a freakin snow storm today... I'm not kidding! Anyway I hit the parkade and did I get all kinds of noise and complaints from the suspension. So when summer arrives... say like 4 days in July... will my Teins warm up a keep quiet?
Old 05-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have installed several of the Flex's (older versions and have had zero issues. a torque wrench is mandatory to do the install..check, recheck, and recheck again!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
pLacebo
The Eradicator

Then I would say your either in the minority or lucky on your installs to this point. Almost every owner I know who has the early design for the 350 experience some rattle and/or clunking noise.
As mentioned Tein even acknowledged this as a common problem in the design when I spoke with them at SEMA. And this is also reiterated by the fact that they redesigned the rear coils.
I realize that there is sometimes a trade off between performance and comfort but my Tein Flex are easily the noisiest aftermarket suspension I have had on any car.
I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that the problem was serious enough to require a redesign. But early owners are not even offered some kind of program or offer to replace there rear coils at a reduced cost.

Last edited by pLacebo; 05-11-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:32 AM
KShep

Bump
Old 08-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, Tein flex...

I have another shock manufacturer to biotch about. Don't go Tokico either! Yes, I'm sure some may say they have a fine product, but have to disagree. I swapped out my old suspension for a full Tokico on my old 300zx. The front was perfect in every way, but the rear remained stock height and never dropped. I even had Tokico send me new coils and the problem persisted. CS said, did you install it correctly? I told them, installing the rear coil was the easiest damn thing. The coil sits between bare metal top and bottom with the aid of two rubber bushings. I triple checked everything, even the seating of the coils in the bushings and came to the conclusion that the rear coils were improperly engineered. The parts moved fine and the ride is good. It's just the damn car is jacked up 1" in the rear, MF...grrrrrrrrrrr! One reason I'm leaving my new baby at stock height and just filling the gap with big rims and tires