Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nissan dealer for brake pads? cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan dealer for brake pads? cost?

I find it hard to believe that I need new pads at 25k miles, I guess it's possible, but I'm not "that" hard on my brakes, nor do I drive in traffic much at all.

Anyhow, how much can I expect to pay, and do you all reccomend to have dealers do this? I used to do brake pads on my bikes, but I really hated bleeding brakes. I am hesitant about them messing up my wheels, so I might go with this shop, SoulSpeed. Either way, I need to know how much the dealer is going to charge me so I know how much is too much at the speed shop. I figure it would just be front pads, right?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
SD350Z

I just had my brakes done. Not only did I need pads, but rotors too! And at 20784 miles. The pads I can understand (you've seen how dirty the wheels get from the brake dust) because of the compound, but the rotors were totally warped. I still don't know how that happened. I've never been to a track or auto-x event, and drive a lot of freeway miles. The rotors were covered under warranty, but they had to special order them, so it took a week to get them. Pads (with the normal labor to install them and turn the rotors) were quoted at $300, but I got a quote from another dealer in the SD area for $200, so I talked them down to that. If they tell you it's more than $200, call another dealer. Don't take it to a privateer shop, because they can't do the warranty work if you have crappy rotors like me.

Also done while I had her in the shop was the "fix" for the tire feathering. Nissan bought me new front tires and re-aligned the front end to the new specs. Car drives much better and much smoother than before. If the inside treads of your front tires are bald (like mine) or are wearing quickly, have the dealer check them. Since you have 25k miles, you will probably have to pay half of the tire cost (they pro-rate them after 21,001miles). Check www.nissanhelp.com for all TSB's and recalls before you bring it in. You'd be amazed how much you can get done for free.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:49 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

my dealer replaced my pads and bled the brake fluid for about 175
Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
HokieZ

Good lord, any chance you have a little mechanical aptitude and an hour or so of time? They are really VERY easy to change yourself if you're so inclined.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by HokieZ
Good lord, any chance you have a little mechanical aptitude and an hour or so of time? They are really VERY easy to change yourself if you're so inclined.
I told you in the original post, I have done it on all my bikes, and hated every minute of it.

Thanks for the info folks, I'll look into it, hopefully it's just pads.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:37 PM
SD350Z

Hell I'd do it myself if I had the space to do it (apartment garages don't allow much room for work or tool storage). I don't mind working on cars. When I've done brakes in the past, I found them to be pretty easy to do, only about an hour or so time to do it (not the two hours you get billed for). It's getting the damn parts that's a PIA.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:36 PM
HokieZ

The difference here is no bleeding of brakes so it's a VERY easy job. Quick description:

Jack up car
remove wheel
undo one bolt - swing caliper
remove pads
depress piston
install new pad
unswing and install bolt
install tire
unjack

I disassembled my entire brake system last weekend and each side took at most 10 minutes. Seriously, if all you really hated was the bleeding, don't let that stop you.

SD350Z: Do it in the parking lot. I changed the shocks and springs on my Grand Cherokee in the parking lot of my old apt. complex (although a garage is much nicer and you're absolutely right about the size of the apt. garages).
Old 06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
maxipad96

well i have 12k and my front pads are ruined... i don't drive hard at all either. Dealer replaced the rear pads for free, but not the front.. go figure.. they said there wasn't enough life left on the pad to warranty it.