Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

StopTech new product update

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:24 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StopTech new product update

Hi guys,
We test fit the new ST-22 rear brakes on my car yesterday, and here are the photos. The kit was taken off of my car and was put on the new white Axis Wheels 350Z yesterday. The kit uses our new ST-22 2 piston billet caliper and a 328x28 fully floating 2 piece rotor. Price for the rear kit will be $1895 retail. This kit is targeted at the track guys that are burning up the tiny base model rear pads, and that want to run 17" wheels. For those who already have our front 332mm and front 355mm kits, this will be a direct add-on, and will maintain proper balance. They use the same pad as the stock Track Model rear Brembo's, so lots of good friction available.

I'd anticipate that we are now at about 4-6 weeks before kits ship to end users. In the meantime, they will continue to undergo testing on the Axis car, World Challenge cars, and Grand Am Cup cars. We want to make sure we beat the hell out of them before we release them to the world. You guys asked for it, so here it is.

http://www.stoptech.com/images/st-22_350z_4wheel.jpg

http://www.stoptech.com/images/st-22_350z_rearwheel.jpg

http://www.stoptech.com/images/st-22_350z_wheel.jpg

Also, the new 2 piece fully floating Track Model replacement AeroRotors are on the way. We haven't finalized pricing yet, but they will almost definitely be cheaper than buying the stock plain Track Model rotors from the dealership. They will shave a couple of pounds off per corner. They will flow significantly more air than the stockers. They are fully floating, just like the rotors that come with our brake kits...which means, no coning and good pad contact as the rotors heats up and expands. Also, once you have the hats, you'll be able to simply replace the iron disc portion of the rotor...which will be about half the price of buying a new set from the dealership once you've worn the first set out. We are going to make both front and rear rotors. The Unitech Racing (Performance Nissan) 350Z's in the Grand Am Cup will be the first to run these new rotors. I'm pushing to have these rotors in customers hands within 30 days.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 PM
stx

What is the actual size of the rotor? Also, how much do the way in comparison to the stock non brembo Z?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, is that your car? Nice rims and brakes.. I'm gonna have to start saving my pennies for the rear set

--mike
Old 07-10-2004, 08:27 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRitt,

Very interested in your Track Model Rotor Replacements. Please let us know when you finalize the pricing.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:46 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally posted by fdao
JRitt,

Very interested in your Track Model Rotor Replacements. Please let us know when you finalize the pricing.
Damn those look yummy!

Yet ANOTHER future expense...

Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Fede

crap

another hole in my wallet...

but 2000$, you sure? There are a few places where you can get the full 355mm BBK for the same amount it would cost for the rear kit, plus a 332 BBK. That I don't get.

Last edited by Fede; 07-12-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Fede

forgot link

http://www.streetp.com/infiniti/brak...ECHbrakes.html
Old 07-12-2004, 05:13 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are our rotors at J Ritt?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:19 AM
azrael

how does the rear brembo/ST-22 pad size compare to the pad used on the 355mm ST-40 rears? Also, how does it compare to the postage stamp-sized stock rear pads?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:28 AM
J Ritt

What is the actual size of the rotor? Also, how much do the way in comparison to the stock non brembo Z?
The rotor is a 328x28mm...in inches, that's 12.9" x 1.1".

Jeff, is that your car? Nice rims and brakes.
Yep, that's good ole' chassis 399. I drive the car every day, but it looks cooler in those pictures than it really is.

but 2000$, you sure? There are a few places where you can get the full 355mm BBK for the same amount it would cost for the rear kit, plus a 332 BBK. That I don't get.
I'm not sure what you mean by this...our 4 wheel kit prices will be:
332x32 F/328x28 R = $3890
355x32 F/328x28 R = $4295
355x32 F/355x32 R = $4495 (the 4 wheel kit we've been selling for quite a while)

You can still buy the front 332 ($1995) and 355 ($2595) kits separately, and add the rear on at any time for $1895. You cannot get a brand new 4 wheel brake kit with components of this quality and capability for $2000...an absolute impossibility.

Thanks for the support guys. I'll keep you updated as things progress on these products.

BJ, check your PM's.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:08 PM
typeSR2

J Ritt what wheels are those, size, and color? They look real nice and the brakes look great. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:43 PM
J Ritt

how does the rear brembo/ST-22 pad size compare to the pad used on the 355mm ST-40 rears? Also, how does it compare to the postage stamp-sized stock rear pads?
The caliper on the rear 355 kit is not actually an ST-40. For clearance reasons, we use a different version called the ST-45, which has a slightly different pad shape (actually a backing plate difference). This caliper does not have as many friction options as for the front ST-40. There are more frictions available for the ST-22 rear than for the ST-45. The ST-45 does not need as many friction options however, because the massive rotor is a better heat sink, and the pad is larger...that's why they don't burn up.

Both pads are significantly larger than the postage stamp sized rears of the base brakes however. The ST-22 pad will hold a lot more heat than that pad, and as most of the guys with Track Models will attest, they aren't really having many rear pad wear issues. Additionally, our rear rotor is a 328x28, which is larger and has more heat capacity than the stock Track Model rear rotor. Finally, our internal vane structure flows more air, and our aluminum hat has directional standoffs to flow more air across the outer face of the rotor to promote even inner and outer pad wear. In other words, if the current Track Model owners aren't having rear brake pad wear issues, you most certainly won't with all of the additional cooling our system provides.

In a nutshell, there's no need to be concerned about our ST-22 not being able to handle heat issues. It will handle the heat and come back for more. The stock base model rear rotors are tiny, as are the pads. They are not an effective heat sink. You can either continually replace those rear pads and run a front only kit (which is a completely viable option, and what I've been doing in anticipation of the the ST-22...the rear pads are cheap)...or, you can put our new rear ST-22 on there and not have to worry about rear rotor heat issues again.

I went through this with someone on a PM, but weight savings will be somewhere in the range of 7lbs per rear corner vs. our ST-45 355mm setup. I believe the total weight of this new rear setup will be almost identical (probably a little less) than the Track Model rear setup. The new caliper is roughly 5lbs, and the 328x28 is 11.75lbs. The aluminum hats and hardware are typically 2.5lbs or less, and this is including the large hat to accomodate the parking brake (comletely retains stock functionality).

As I've said all along, our biggest 4 wheel, 4 piston kit is overkill. It does look badazz though, and that's what a lot of guys want. Also, it solves the rear pad heat issue as well...but smashes the problem with a sledge hammer, rather than using a precision heat seaking missle.

http://www.streetp.com/infiniti/bra...TECHbrakes.html
Fede,
Never heard of these guys before...not an authorized reseller, and yet another shop violating our advertising policies and stealing our copyrighted material from our websites. Thanks for the link.

TypeSR2,
Thanks for the props. They are Rays Gram Light 57 Pros in 18x9 +25 offset and 18x10 +25mm offset. I think they are just called dark grey. And although I got whined to by some of my more brand-oriented friends, I took the stickers off the day I got them for a cleaner look.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:27 AM
azrael

J Ritt, thanks for the information. I'm fairly impressed with your customer service and the willingness to share technical information.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant wait to get these on my car!

We are taking pre-orders for these kits too (shamless plug)
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
bobowah

It's time to upgrade my brakes!!!

I'm gonna get a set too...

We will do pre-orders as well...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 AM
J Ritt

Some good news from the racetrack where this new rear caliper was put to the test on Sat. and Sunday... Bill Auberlin won the Speed World Challenge Touring car race on saturday, and got 2nd in the race on sunday using this new 2 piston rear setup. He was only running a 282mm rear rotor, and was carrying roughly 200lbs of 'winners' ballast. The other Turner Motorsports cars running this rear setup got 5th, and 6th in race 1, and 3rd,4th in race 2. Unfortunately, the Bimmerworld BMW's with this kit got tangled at the beginning of race one and were not sitting too well for the rest of the weekend.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/news/04press106.html

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/news/04press108.html