Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

AHH! Please help!! Cooked brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:22 AM
eazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHH! Please help!! Cooked brakes!

Ok, first things first, I have a base model. The other night I got a wild hair up my wazoo and decided to cook my brakes. As soon as I got out of my car I could smell an aweful smell. Thats when I noticed the smoke and saw my rotors glowing red hot. Doh!! It was a short lived episode. To give an idea what it took to cook them, I braked very hard from 159mph, and then about 4 more times from 100+.

I'm going to check the brake fluid as soon as I get done posting.

I really don't know that much about this, it's the first time I've ever cooked my brakes. How can I tell if I damaged my rotors? Do I need to pull the wheels off and inspect the brake pads? Can one of you helpful souls please direct me on what I should do to ensure everything is in proper working order? Any help would be very much appreciated. TIA!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:19 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure your brakes are fine. I and several others regularly take our cars to road courses with the factory brakes. I even had my rotors up to 1000 degrees at the end of a session once. Thats almost 60 stops in 20 minutes!! Definitely check the pads to make sure you have some left. It helps greatly to change the brake fluid as well. If you feel vibration when you press the brake pedal when stopping, its possible you warped the rotors. But unlikely given how few times you did it. It could also just be pad deposit. Make sure if you try that again, that you warm up the brakes before you start trying to melt them down. Do that by making 4-5 hard stops from 60 to 0. Then you can beat on them pretty bad.