Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech, or Brembro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004 | 01:29 PM
CatastrophZZ

Default Stoptech, or Brembro?

which one does better job and more reliable than the other? and is it better to have cross-drilled or slotted discs? for daily driving and autoX. i don't know what except for weight saving?!?! but it seems like even stock Track Z, the rear brakes are 1" or so smaller than the front. i dont know if other high performance cars does the same thing or not but im pretty sure i've seen set up like that on them. so would it be smart to have 14" front and 13" rear, 14" front+rear, or 13" front+rear?

thanx!
Old 11-03-2004 | 02:29 PM
seanrulz

I have a track model and had a stock Brembo for about a year, and then switched to 14" Stoptech BBK front and back. I thought the stock Brembo's were both 12.7 inch rotor front and back? In terms of price, 14" front and rear Stoptech BBK and 13" front and rear BBK won't have that much difference. If their price is pretty much same, I'd go for 14" all around for better look if you have wheels bigger than 18" and can clear 14" BBK. (It's all subjective tho)
Old 11-03-2004 | 03:01 PM
BigRich

both track reliably - thugh that is also a function of the pads used - but cannot say for autox. also, the stoptech kit is heavy compared to the Touring and I would guess track model setups. since it is displacing more fluid and the rotor is larger, do not expect weight savings...if i had the money, i would have gone stoptech front/rear using the single pot rear...
Old 11-03-2004 | 03:46 PM
CatastrophZZ

http://www.hopupracing.com/st143bigbrki1.html

that's what im thinking about. i looked up the 14" Brembros on Tirerack.com, my god they're expensive!!! just for the front(2), it's the price of front+rear(4) Stoptech.
Old 11-04-2004 | 05:46 PM
MY350Z.COM

Go with STOPTECH's. I got them and love them. As does most STOPTECH owners.
Old 11-04-2004 | 09:31 PM
Skrill

Stoptech 14" 4-wheel kit here.

I am very pleased with them. I will be swaping in Pagid Orange pads in the front and running these at Buttonwillow on the Nov. 13th. I expect they will be awesome and allow me to brake late and deep without fear of fade.

For mere street and Auto-X -- the stock setup works fine. And the Track Brembros should be plenty (especially if you add the Stoptech Aero rotors). You really only need a true BBK if you plan to track a lot. I chose to purchase an Enthusiast model and upgrade the brakes. It's a lot of money to spend just of looks. If you are not doing track events or driving schools -- you don't need Stoptechs.

If you do a 14" kit you will not see any real weight savings. If you do the 13" (f) and 12.8" (r) Stoptech kit -- you will save a pound or two at each front and about 7 at each rear. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice the 14" all around as the extra weight does not help. But I wanted a lot of heat capasity in the front -- and the nice thing about the 14" rears is that even at a hard track day, they neven get hot enough to need real track pads (so you don't have swap rear pads).

If you get them -- get the slotted rotors. Slotted are far superior for performance. Drilled are just for bling.

BTW -- it is completely normal to have much smaller brakes on the rear. The rears only contribute about 20% of the stoping power and are used more to keep the car straight than to slow it down. To be honest -- if you did the stoptech front with stock rears -- it would work fine. On my kit -- the rears are huge, but the pistons on the rears are sized such that the brakes do not deliver too much clamping force. When yo brake the rear gets light -- so the last thing you want is to have a lot of clamping force on the rear and lock it up.

Check out the white papers at Stoptech -- and do some research and assess what you NEED before you buy.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical/

Last edited by Skrill; 11-04-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2004 | 05:10 AM
KShep

StopTech...outstanding customer service if you purchase from an authorized reseller.