Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Newbie, advice on test drive and buying...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
pklingem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, advice on test drive and buying...

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks in preparation to start shopping. Two weeks ago I would not have even considered buying another car, however I have been really discouraged about what I've read about the cupping/feathering problem and nissan's service related to the matter.

I'm not convinced by anything that I've read that the problem has been fixed for the 2005 MY. I'm looking for some advice on questions I should ask the dealer regarding the problem. Here's what I already know:
  • It is generally believed that the cupping/feathering problem is caused by suspension/alignment issues.
  • Nissan has upgraded the suspension in the 05.
  • Dealers/Nissan have been standoffish about taking responsibility for the problem.
  • Nissan released a TSB that covers only the 03.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
ANXIOUZ

Also keep in mind that the people who are the most vocal here are the complainers. We all LOVE our Z's so we bring up issues with each other just to give us things to talk about.

The feathering issue is less likely to occur on an 05 than an 03 but it's really on a car-by-car basis. I have an 03 with 13k miles and on aftermarket tires I'm not even close to showing signs of the issue. But others have seen signs after only a few thousand miles.

Don't let it stop you from buying the Z. The stock tires are kind crummy and are no doubt contributing to the problem.

And a few people have brought up that the NSX has the same problem and that Acura basically just posted a statement saying that it's a high-end sportscar and the feathering is just a by-product of performance. I feel the same way about the Z. It's really not that big of a deal.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
bixby

I haven't seen reports of the feathering issues beyond 04 models. The dealer in my case had absolutely no problem replacing my tires. Also, in my case feathering didn't appear until 14k miles. For the 05 model year, I would imagine (just like 03's) that if enough issues are reported on ANY problem a TSB will be issued.

All of the 03 buyers (at least on this forum) really rallyed together to report problems like feathering, window grease and the big "Blows" (Bose) issue. TSB's were eventually issued on all those problems and several others.

Bottom line, if you like the car buy it. Most of the issues experienced by us first year buyers don't really take away from how much we enjoy this car. Of course there are a few exceptions from owners who had tranny and other more serious issues.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 AM
97 grn ss

Some of the best advice I can give if you are ordering the car

1. insist that it is delivered in the shipping packaging (plastic sheets covering fenders, hood, etc.

2. DO NOT let the dealer wash your car. Buy some microfiber (pakshak) and Zaino and do it yourself. Your paint will thank you!

Jeremy
Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by 97 grn ss
Buy some microfiber (pakshak) and Zaino and do it yourself. Your paint will thank you!

Jeremy
Did you say Zaino?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie, advice on test drive and buying...-zainoz8-2w.jpg  
Old 05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
pklingem

I appreciate the responses guys. I agree that the percentage of people having problems is really distorted by the fact that these people are more vocal. That is why I wish Nissan would own up to the problem a little better, so the consumer will trust them.

Whatever car I buy will be my daily driver, if I get a Z I will want to keep it for many years, if I get something else it will more than likely be a lot cheaper and I will get rid of it after a few years. But before I buy a Z I want to feel comfortable that it will be alive in 6-7 years. The dealer will have to convice me of that.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:37 AM
wj4

i am also looking to get a Z. it will also be a daily driver. the feathering issue has also got me concerned but like stated, it doesnt happen to all models.
currently i have an 04 accord v6 coupe and with the forum i visit for that car, there has been complains about issues that i dont face with the car so it is really a car to car basis. so i understand where you guys are coming from. i mean the car is $30,000-$35,000 so you would expect everything to be flawless.
i'm going to most likely get the car in august or sept. when they are really trying to get rid of the 2005 models to make room for the 2006s. i just want a touring edition that is 6 sp and navi. im going to go with the lowest price i can get, regardless of color lol. i like them all except in white (actually i like the white also, but its the color of my current car and getting the same color 2 cars in a row would be boringgg).
good luck to you bro
Old 05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The dealer will have to convice me of that."

Man, never rely on the dealer for anything.

If your looking for assurance on long term reliability, you might take comfort in the Z engine has been around for several years and won numerous awards.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 PM
pklingem

Default Re: quote

Well, its not so much that I want to hear the dealer say the car is fine. Of course he will say that. I just want to hear him acknowledge that there is a problem with 03 and especially the 04, because Nissan doesn't publicly acknowledge the problem with the 04. Then I want to hear the specifics of the adjustments that have been made to ensure the problem doesn't persist. If I am satisfied with his explanation it will go a long way towards making me comfortable entering into the long term commitment.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
pklingem

Default Visited the dealership...

In case anyone is interested, I went to the dealership today with the intention of test driving a Z. Brown's Nissan in Fairfax, VA, remember that.

I was with my dad, and got a young salesman pretty quickly. I first asked if they had Base and Enthusiasts in stock. He said they had enthusiasts, but rarely had bases. I asked what the difference was (even though I knew), he said the tire size was different, among other things, which is untrue. Then he asked if I was sure the Z was the car I wanted, I said it was until I heard about the feathering/cupping problem. He said he knew nothing about it. So I explained it and he referred me to his manager.

The manager came out and I briefly described the problem. He said he hadn't heard of it. I explained some more, then he gave in and said that the dealership recalled ALL of the 03 Zs and fixed them. Quite a change from never hearing of the problem. I mentioned that I heard the 04 had the same problem on fewer cars, he was indifferent. Then I asked what had been changed to fix the problem in the 05. He said he didn't know but that he was sure it was fixed. (I know there was a suspension change, not sure if it fixes the problem, but he knew nothing of it)

Finally, for good measure I asked what would happen if I bought an 05 and started noticing the problem at 10k miles. He said AGAIN that he hadn't heard of the problem, but that if there was a problem they would fix it.

Anyway, I was bullshifted through the whole discussion and I'm really disappointed because I really like the Z, however now I'm not comfortable with the dealer or the car at this point. I just want anyone in my position to know that this is how I was treated, take it for what its worth.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Leslie

Dealers are dealers, some are good, most are bad, just the way it is, dont use them as a base for advice or info tho, they just sell em nothing more. your the customer, its your money,your responsiblity imo, you convince yourself what you want, do your own research on the car, thats the fun and easy part. getting the price you want thats the part you should be concerned with

try another dealer, for example, we've been to 3 nissan and 2 infiniti dealers here in vegas and all were a ripoff, some were even rude and all were cluless about the car, got it from a great reputable dealer in cali.

good luck
Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM
pklingem

Thanks for the advice Leslie, I hadn't thought of it that way. This is my first car buying experience, so I kind of expected the salesman to know a lot about the car. I guess that is often times not the case, however, I know both of those people were lying to me, they looked so guilty. I will try another dealer.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing unusual about your experience, pklingem. That is SOP at 95% of car dealers in the country. They are (almost) ALL dipsticks who would sell their dear mother's sole to make a sale!!

The only thing you want to know from the dealer is out the door price. Nothing else at a dealer counts. Well, be sure you check condition of the car before accepting.