Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Z Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
WherestheZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Advice

Here's my situation: I'm a current Chevy Tahoe owner. I bought the Tahoe back in '02. At that time I really wanted a Z (when they just came out), but my dad for some reason talked me out of it. That was when I was 22, single, and living with my parents. Now I still have the Tahoe (which has been paid off for more than a year now), almost 30, getting married in September, have a house of my own, and still itching for the Z.

I'm looking at used 350z's... 2006 or newer with low mileage (20k or under). What I really want to know is if the 350z owners out there are really happy with their car? How about those guys who just got married or have a family and a Z? Will I hate it in a year or 2? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Q_USAF_G35

Default Go for it....

Sounds like your kicking yourself for not buying the first time around. It's time to jump in the game. I purchased a 03, shortly after the 350z came out. Then I sold that and got a G35, then sold that and I now have a 2006 Touring.

You should jump all over a 2007 or 2008, the HR engine is boss. The prices are dropping like my 401k. But I think now is the time to buy. Also, being a family guy, this car can coexist with your family ride. Plus it's cool to take the wife out in the Z from time to time.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Obviously more happy than you.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us are very. As long as you have a second vehicle, the two seater should not be a problem.

All Zs have proven to be quite reliable but I've seen the fewest issues on 05s.

Read through threads here and have a mechanic check out the one you want.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
dhays

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Most of us are very. As long as you have a second vehicle, the two seater should not be a problem.

All Zs have proven to be quite reliable but I've seen the fewest issues on 05s.

Read through threads here and have a mechanic check out the one you want.
A bit of an old thread but I agree with Brickyard. I'm old with a house, wife, two college age kids and 5 vehicles. The Z is one of them. It is a great car that I enjoy DD when it isn't icy. The other car than I drive when I don't drive the Z is a 2002 Ford Explorer. Having an SUV and a Z is a very good combination for a family man. You have the Tahoe to haul stuff and passengers and then the Z for the most of the rest of the driving which is usually by yourself.

Buy a used Z with cash, take note of the insurance costs, and enjoy.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
WherestheZ

I went to the dealership on Friday and test drove a brand new 08 Enthusiast. They quoted about 25.5k before TT&L. I walked out because I needed time to think. They tried to call me on Saturday, but I didn't answer.

They also have an 06 Touring with 22k miles for about $20.5k at their "internet price." I plan on trading in my Tahoe for part of the down payment. My girlfriend has a 4 door car for the family stuff. The only thing I'd miss about my Tahoe is hauling around the occasional load of stuff from Lowes or Home Depot.

What do you guys think about a used 06 Touring with 22k miles? I've already bought a used Sentra years ago right out of high school with hardly any problems. I just don't want a used 350z to bite me in the ***.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by WherestheZ
I went to the dealership on Friday and test drove a brand new 08 Enthusiast. They quoted about 25.5k before TT&L. I walked out because I needed time to think. They tried to call me on Saturday, but I didn't answer.

They also have an 06 Touring with 22k miles for about $20.5k at their "internet price." I plan on trading in my Tahoe for part of the down payment. My girlfriend has a 4 door car for the family stuff. The only thing I'd miss about my Tahoe is hauling around the occasional load of stuff from Lowes or Home Depot.

What do you guys think about a used 06 Touring with 22k miles? I've already bought a used Sentra years ago right out of high school with hardly any problems. I just don't want a used 350z to bite me in the ***.
If you like the car go for it. You only get to do life once. There is no dress rehearsal.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
dhays

I think that you will miss the Tahoe more often than you think.
I think that used is almost ALWAYS a better buy than new.
I think that an auto loan is almost always a bad idea.
I think $20.5 is way too high. I bought my '06 GT last September with 21k miles on it for $20k. It would be worth a lot less now but mine is still worth a lot more than a Touring with 1k more miles.

I think you'll do what you want despite any advice you get.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
I think you'll do what you want despite any advice you get.
Good luck.
Man I wish the other folks that frequent this section would understand that. They waste so much time and energy trying to convince folks when they are jumping into a bad situation : P
Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 PM
WherestheZ

Thanks for the advice (even though I didn't get a few comments until after the purchase). I went ahead and bought the 08 Enthusiast model. I ordered a carfax on the 06 Touring and found out that it had 2 previous owners which really turned me off.

I'm happy with the purchase so far. The Z just looks really odd in my garage. It's so ... small. But it's really comfortable inside. I hope I feel the same in a year!

Now I'll have to move onto the "New Owners" section.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
davidv

Thanks for the advice (even though I didn't get a few comments until after the purchase). I went ahead and bought the 08 Enthusiast model. I ordered a carfax on the 06 Touring and found out that it had 2 previous owners which really turned me off.

I'm happy with the purchase so far. The Z just looks really odd in my garage. It's so ... small. But it's really comfortable inside. I hope I feel the same in a year!

Now I'll have to move onto the "New Owners" section.
Congratulations!