Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

I have a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Skorch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a dilemma

So here's the scoop: Back at the end of February I was going around all the local dealerships and trying to secure the best deal I could on a Base 370Z 6-sp w/Sport Package in pearl white. One of the dealerships I went to, let's call him dealer Dealer A, said that they could get the Z with those specs for me in about 3 weeks. Note, there are no such Zs with those specs anywhere in the Southwest. The Z would be ordered at invoice. However, they were offering me a little less on my trade-in than I wanted. So I go to Dealer B, which offers to order that Z from the factory but tells me that the Z won't be here for 2-3 months and that Dealer A must have lied to me about being able to get it so soon. Dealer B also offered to order it at invoice, and offered a much more reasonable price on my trade-in, asking only $500 as a deposit. I went ahead and placed the order with Dealer B. Dealer B also told me that if a car with the exact specs I want comes in to a local dealer before my ordered car they may be able to get it for me sooner.

Fast forward to today - I get a call from Dealer A, saying that the exact car I wanted just come on the truck today and wanted me to come in to take a look at it. Apparently when I came in the sales manager placed an order for that Z on that same day even though I didn't actually order it or put a deposit down. I don't know how he was able to get it so soon and how Dealer B missed that car in their search.

Immediately I called Dealer B, saying that Dealer A just got my car. The sales guy I worked with is off today, but I spoke with him on his cell. I explained what happened and he said he'll get in touch with his manager and see what he can do.

My question is, is there a way for a dealership to "force" a dealer trade with another local dealership? I already placed my deposit at Dealer B, so buying the car at Dealer A is pretty much out of the question. I doubt Dealer A would willingly want to give up the car that I want, but I don't know what all is involved in the politics of dealer trades. Any light you guys can shed on this for me will be greatly appreciated. It may mean that I could get my car much sooner than having to wait another 2 months for it!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 AM
midtx350z.

I strongly doubt Dealer A would give up the car, knowing that you are the customer they pretty much ordered it for. Keep us updated
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dealers "steal" cars all the time - provided they havent been delivered to the original dealer yet. Otherwise, they do also trade cars - dealer B might offer dealer A something for the car (or even the same car when their consignment arrives). Dealer A may take the trade, since they are getting something in return.

I have also heard of instances where the manufacturer steps in and forces a trade, because dealer B moves more inventory than dealer A.

Wait and see what happens, dealer B may get the car after all. Worse comes to worse, you wait a little longer for the car. However, the last thing you want to show any dealer is desperation, you will lose a lot of bargaining power if they see that you are too anxious for the car.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are buying a car from dealer A.

You gave dealer B $500.

I think you just lost $500.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Skorch

Originally Posted by davidv
You are buying a car from dealer A.

You gave dealer B $500.

I think you just lost $500.
I would be losing more than just my $500 deposit if I bought the car from Dealer A. Dealer A wanted me to pay $500 over invoice and offered me $500 less for my trade-in than Dealer B. So if I did get desperate and bought the car from Dealer A I'd be losing $1500, which I am not going to do.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:43 AM
E-licious

So don't worry about it. Just wait. If I could make $1500 by just waiting a couple months before buying something, I'd do it every time.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Skorch

Originally Posted by E-licious
So don't worry about it. Just wait. If I could make $1500 by just waiting a couple months before buying something, I'd do it every time.
I'm not considering ordering the car from Dealer A. I just wanted to know what are my chances of Dealer B getting the car from Dealer A for me via dealer trade.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Skorch

Dilemma solved. I bought the car at tonight at the exact same price as I ordered it from Dealer B. I'm still gonna try to get the $500 back from them, but if not then no big deal.