Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Can't make my mind up

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Stuntman22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't make my mind up

Hi,
I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a 2006 Convertible in Pikes Peak white with a blue top, auto trans with navigation & 14k miles for $22500

I then found. Triple black 06 convertible with only 8k miles , no nav for 20k but it's around 3 hours from my house.

I do like the white better but the black has less miles and is 3 hours away. I also think the black one is more open for negotiation but the white one is firm.

Is 22500 a ton of money for a 6 year old car?

Is there any other options that the white one has because of the navigation compared to the white one or is it just the gps by its self?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. I never purchased this expensive of a used car before but,I always loved the z's since I bought one new in 1987 and drove it for 11 years. It had 170 Hp. These have close to 300.

Stay safe,

Lou
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey Lou,

I have bought few cars that were 20 hours away, i think it's fun to do a road trip right after to understand your car better.

is the Black 06 with auto trans also? do you perfer auto or manual?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Stuntman22

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Hey Lou,

I have bought few cars that were 20 hours away, i think it's fun to do a road trip right after to understand your car better.

They are both auto trans. I drive a stick every day at work. I just want to put it in drive and step on the gas....I am lazy. I'm sure the manual is lots a fun though.

Is 22500 a little high? I see them for that price at the local stealerships with more miles. This white one is super clean so I'm leaning towards it. I had a triple black Camaro ss in 2010 that I lost in hurricane Irene and was was ***** and *** to keep clean.
I just a little wishy washy..... No matter what ever I buy I get buyers remorse.

Thanks for responding....
Lou
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

About Stuntman22

Z/G Owner
Z
Color
Pearl white
Trim Level
touringwhite touring
MyMods
Bone Stock but showroom

Congratulations. You are officially a New Owner.

Last edited by davidv; 06-26-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Stuntman22

Default color questions?

Originally Posted by tSaroya
If you find that you will be reluctant to keep the black clean, perhaps you should get the white. But if its a weekend car, I see no reason why you couldnt keep the black clean without having to over-do it on the maintenance. Ive never really liked the 350z roadster tho....it always looked like barbies dream car to me...but thats just my opinion. I have seen a few that have had minor mods that have asthetically changed to look of the car. If it were me, id go for the black. Lower km, lower price, and 3 hours is nothing.

Hmmm. I dont think I could be mistaken for Barbie?
unfortunalty my garage is full of my kids hockey equipment and i coud not fit a wet fart in there. So my Z will reside in my drivewayduring the week. (perhaps covered) but it will still get dirty im sure. Im going to check out the black one this weekend.
The Pikes Peak one has a Navigation System from the factory. Is that a package option? Meaning is it only the Navi? My Brides mini van cam with navi but had extra options that came with the navi on it like a rear camera and heated steering wheel, etc...

Thaks for the responses. My only gripe is i'm 6'4 and its a little tough looking through the windshield. But hey, who needs to see?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Stuntman22

Default transmission

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Hey Lou,

My first Z which i bought new in 87 had a five speed. Loved my "T" tops. Sold it 11 years later for more than half of what i paid. Very happy with my Z. I drive a stick everyday at work (Theatrical Teamster in NYC) and i curse the vehicles with manual trans becuase of the traffic. Perhaps Im too lazy or too old or a combo of both.
I am strictly looking for a auto trans. I know thats blasphemy to the purists, but a mans gotta knw his limitations. Crappy Knees..... i just wanna press the gs and go....
Im gonna check out the Black Z. The owner is 66 years old and its in a heated garage with 8k miles....
Lou
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM
bena1916

I always like to check and see what the completed listings went for on ebay to determine market value of a car.

http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.co...5.l1513&_pgn=1

I didn't see any 2006's with low miles but there are some other comparable's and they all look like they went for under $18K. Good luck with your purchase I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go on cars.com or autotrader and look up similarly configured Zs' price. Use their listed price as an example of OTD price.

And as far as too much for a 6 yr old car... it really comes down to how much you like the Z.

There are more expensive used cars out there. 2004 Gallardo lists for $90-100k lol.

But honestly, if your budget is around 22-23k, I'd probably aim for an 07+. What's a grand or two more? If you are going to finance it, it's maybe $20 or more a month (which you can't deny that you have never wasted $20 a month on something stupid), or just put off buying the Z for a month or two till you save up that extra 1-2k. Being hasty with purchases only limits your choices and funds.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Blu Hvn

As mentioned above, check cars.com, autotrader.com, etc. to get comparisons. Prices on Z's vary on geography.

Re. navigation...that, to me, would be a non-factor. When I bought my '05 navigation was a $2,000 factory option. Plus it needs to be updated periodically with a CD (I believe). A $100 Garmin works as well.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Stuntman22

Originally Posted by Deteria
Go on cars.com or autotrader and look up similarly configured Zs' price. Use their listed price as an example of OTD price.

And as far as too much for a 6 yr old car... it really comes down to how much you like the Z.

There are more expensive used cars out there. 2004 Gallardo lists for $90-100k lol.

But honestly, if your budget is around 22-23k, I'd probably aim for an 07+. What's a grand or two more? If you are going to finance it, it's maybe $20 or more a month (which you can't deny that you have never wasted $20 a month on something stupid), or just put off buying the Z for a month or two till you save up that extra 1-2k. Being hasty with purchases only limits your choices and funds.
Is the 07 that much better? I know the hood looks a little different, is the motor upgraded as well?
Thanks for the info guys. This board is a great resource. I hope to contribute when I learn more.
Lou
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Biscuit

Originally Posted by Stuntman22
Is the 07 that much better? I know the hood looks a little different, is the motor upgraded as well?
Thanks for the info guys. This board is a great resource. I hope to contribute when I learn more.
Lou
As you said, this forum is a great resource. https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html Read that, should be a good starting point. 07+ got the VQ35HR motor, more refined.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I see it is the 350z were being sold during the end of 2002. It's now 2012. Essentially the 350Z is a 10 year old car generationwise. Do you really want to buy something that old and not get the latest revision? If it was me, getting a previous generation vehicle, I'd want to pick up the latest revision and with a completely decked out trim; or else I could have just paid a bit more and gone with the current gen model and settled at a lesser trim.

Now regarding the 07+, the VQ35HR is a diff motor (80% different internals I believe). Also revs to 7500 rpm. Generates more power than the DE. Back in early 2000s, the hp ratings were different/lenient. Then the new SAE ratings were implemented, so the 287 was actually a bit less. The VQ35HR was rated after the new SAE ratings @ 306, so that 306hp vs the 287 is quite a difference. Granted the 07+ weigh a lil bit more than the DE so the power gain gets negated, I still rather have an easier time achieving 300whp with a few mods (ART Pipes + Motordyne Shockwave Exhausts + Osiris Tune).

With a 7500 redline, exhausts also sound better higher up you go (that is if you ever decide to get aftermarket exhaust like Motordyne Shockwave)

And with age, cars will have things falling apart like more and more rattles, unkept interiors (scratches), electrical issues (window motor/lights/etc...), or just random things breaking.

I drove my cousins 03 Z before I bought mine. His was around 100k when I had it for the week. Great car, but interior was not kept well. Tons of rattles. Engine and transmission didn't feel as solid. Totaly diff feel than when I test drove my 07 before I bought her. Engine definitely felt more refined and solid. Also the DE motor will take more mods to match up to what the HR can already produce. For example, the HR motor you don't really need to do intake mods because airflow is already pretty optimal. It's only really done for the sound. Now the DE have plenum spacers, mrev or w/e which is all just more $$$ you'd prolly end up spending once the mod bug gets to you.

06+ get the new bixenon headlights which are much better lighting at night. Bump on the hood just looks a little more aggressive. Larger stock wheels than the 03-05. Dual piston brakes vs 1 pistons 03-05. 06+ have CD009 transmission. Much improved, much less synchro issues. 05 anniversary edition 6MT + 06 RevUp 6MT models have oil consumption issues. I'd say it's pretty major issue as some people had to get whole new motors replaced (I think).

07+ really just has the Clutch Master Cylinder issue that would be a major concern. There was a recall on it so you didn't really need to exhibit an issue to get it replaced. Less hassle I'd say vs you having to demonstrate an issue like having the dealer run tests to see if you actually have oil consumption (since not all RevUp had that issue)

Hope this helps ;p

Last edited by Deteria; 03-30-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Biscuit

Originally Posted by Deteria
The way I see it is the 350z were being sold during the end of 2002. It's now 2012. Essentially the 350Z is a 10 year old car generationwise. Do you really want to buy something that old and not get the latest revision? If it was me, getting a previous generation vehicle, I'd want to pick up the latest revision and with a completely decked out trim; or else I could have just paid a bit more and gone with the current gen model and settled at a lesser trim.

Now regarding the 07+, the VQ35HR is a diff motor (80% different internals I believe). Also revs to 7500 rpm. Generates more power than the DE. Back in early 2000s, the hp ratings were different/lenient. Then the new SAE ratings were implemented, so the 287 was actually a bit less. The VQ35HR was rated after the new SAE ratings @ 306, so that 306hp vs the 287 is quite a difference. Granted the 07+ weigh a lil bit more than the DE so the power gain gets negated, I still rather have an easier time achieving 300whp with a few mods (ART Pipes + Motordyne Shockwave Exhausts + Osiris Tune).

With a 7500 redline, exhausts also sound better higher up you go (that is if you ever decide to get aftermarket exhaust like Motordyne Shockwave)

And with age, cars will have things falling apart like more and more rattles, unkept interiors (scratches), electrical issues (window motor/lights/etc...), or just random things breaking.

I drove my cousins 03 Z before I bought mine. His was around 100k when I had it for the week. Great car, but interior was not kept well. Tons of rattles. Engine and transmission didn't feel as solid. Totaly diff feel than when I test drove my 07 before I bought her. Engine definitely felt more refined and solid. Also the DE motor will take more mods to match up to what the HR can already produce. For example, the HR motor you don't really need to do intake mods because airflow is already pretty optimal. It's only really done for the sound. Now the DE have plenum spacers, mrev or w/e which is all just more $$$ you'd prolly end up spending once the mod bug gets to you.

06+ get the new bixenon headlights which are much better lighting at night. Bump on the hood just looks a little more aggressive. Larger stock wheels than the 03-05. Dual piston brakes vs 1 pistons 03-05. 06+ have CD009 transmission. Much improved, much less synchro issues. 05 anniversary edition 6MT + 06 RevUp 6MT models have oil consumption issues. I'd say it's pretty major issue as some people had to get whole new motors replaced (I think).

07+ really just has the Clutch Master Cylinder issue that would be a major concern. There was a recall on it so you didn't really need to exhibit an issue to get it replaced. Less hassle I'd say vs you having to demonstrate an issue like having the dealer run tests to see if you actually have oil consumption (since not all RevUp had that issue)

Hope this helps ;p
Amen. +1.
/thread