Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying out of state suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Warrior21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying out of state suggestions?

Never did this before...is it wise to purchase out of state? I find a very nice car, great condition, low miles, color is perfect, great deal. He lives in TX, I in NY. Seems pretty hard to come by the car that I want locally. What do you guys do? Thanks. If there is a link on this, I do apologize.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive been looking to do this as well, since I cant find the exact color/trim I want locally.

First things first, get the vin and car history reports. Next thing Id do is arrange for a mechanic to meet with the dealer and have an inspection done. If everything passes you should then fly out and test drive the car yourself. If youre happy then close the deal and have the car transported/drive back home.

I would never buy a car out of state without looking at it in person, not an option.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Warrior21

I was thinking about the whole mechanic situation as well, I'd find it hard to trust one that I know, let alone one that I don't know. Not sure there are many other options though. These cars are pretty rare it seems, narrow it down to what your preferences are and it could be quite the task.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Buying a vehicle out of sate is pretty easy. You can pickup temporary tags at the DMV.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Warrior21

How about the actual inspection of the vehicle? I'm not concerned with the paperwork portion of the deal but checking the car out. Obviously it would become cost prohibitive to fly around the country to find a car if you can't find one in your local area. David, is there a safe method that you can suggest for making sure the vehicle your are acquiring is in good shape?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrior21
How about the actual inspection of the vehicle? I'm not concerned with the paperwork portion of the deal but checking the car out. Obviously it would become cost prohibitive to fly around the country to find a car if you can't find one in your local area. David, is there a safe method that you can suggest for making sure the vehicle your are acquiring is in good shape?
Attempting to arrange a vehicle inspection after you arrive may be difficult. Shops such as Pep Boys do pre-sales vehicle inspections. CarMax will also inspect and give a written trade-in estimate. It would be smart for a seller to have these before selling.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Warrior21

Ok, thank you. That was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:32 PM
-Trav-

Originally Posted by Warrior21
You want to lose a couple hundred on a plane ticket or 20 grand on a lemon? Thats why you have it inspected first, then fly out. Being picky aint cheap.

Call some shops in the area and see if they can work something out for you. Pay over the phone and have the customer drop off the vehicle, and have the results sent to you via email. Do your research and find a well known shop. Im sure you could get some recommendations in the regional forum.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Advice to you is hire a mechanic to fly down there and inspect it for you unless you are knowledgeable about the car and can inspect everything yourself.

Either way, it's going to cost you more than if you can find the car local due to cost of the trip and the owner knows you are really invested in the car if you are willing to send someone/yourself that far to check out the car. Will be harder to negotiate in your favor.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Warrior21

Originally Posted by -Trav-
You want to lose a couple hundred on a plane ticket or 20 grand on a lemon? Thats why you have it inspected first, then fly out. Being picky aint cheap.

Call some shops in the area and see if they can work something out for you. Pay over the phone and have the customer drop off the vehicle, and have the results sent to you via email. Do your research and find a well known shop. Im sure you could get some recommendations in the regional forum.
I realize that. That was not the point. I meant multiple times. Trying to minimize the risk of my personal inspection being a bad experience that could have been prevented.

I appreciate your advice those, the second part makes perfect sense.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 PM

This is what these forums are all about. Locate someone close to the car, who subscribes to this thread, ask them to check out the car and PAY them a fair price.

I've bought cars all over this country using this method and never had a problem.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM
-Trav-

^ It better be someone you know personally or someone with close ties to the community, otherwise youre asking for it.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above advice is spot on. If you have patience wait it out and you will find what you want some what locally. What exactly are you looking for, we may be able to help you find it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Also you'll be paying taxes on it when you bring it back to NY. Picked up a SUV at a dealership in Ohio and being that I was out of state I didn't get charged taxes on it till I got back to MN.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where in TX is the car?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by -Trav-
Ive been looking to do this as well, since I cant find the exact color/trim I want locally.

First things first, get the vin and car history reports. Next thing Id do is arrange for a mechanic to meet with the dealer and have an inspection done. If everything passes you should then fly out and test drive the car yourself. If youre happy then close the deal and have the car transported/drive back home.

I would never buy a car out of state without looking at it in person, not an option.
I bought my roadster without seeing it.. bought it with only 5k miles though with bumper to bumper warranty still...no regrets and shipped to my door for only $400