Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Contemplating Z Ownership: Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Destroyeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating Z Ownership: Some questions

I have read the top 100 questions and it was helpful, but I have some more in an attempt to not be this guy:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-z-driver.html

Any advantages from model year to model year? I'm leaning towards 07+ with the new engine and I haven't seen as much about reliability issues as I have with the original years. Does this sound about right?

Do you think I can expect a reasonable amount of life out of something with <75k on the odo that'll become a "spirited" dd?

What type of audio hookups do the varying trim levels have? Right now I'm using one of those cassette adapters and it works fine, but I'd like to know my options.

What are their quirks?

Anything else I should know about Z ownership?

Thanks yall.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the '07 and '08 Zs were the best ever. I drove some '09s before buying my '08, and I still like it better than the later models I've driven, including the '13 I drove last week.

Their are only a few common issues to be aware of:
Concentric slave cylinder issues on the MT models
Front tire feathering, noise, and alignment issues
Plastic interior parts scratch easily

The 5AT in the Z is really, really good.

Good alignment on a regular schedule cures the tire issue. I think the problem is a result of the unusual double lower ball joint arrangement that's peculiar to the 350Z. It's great for handling and road feel, but it doesn't hold the wheel alignment like traditional setups will.

You'll just have to live with the scratches, or do something creative with paint or vinyl wrap, etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Suwaidi

I would suggest getting an 07 or an 08. As for reasonable amount of life, there are plenty of members with 100k+ on here.

Audio hookups, assuming you mean aftermarket adapters? You can get an iPod adapter that also comes with an AUX input option - search my threads and I've posted a review on it.

I fell in love the moment I test drove my Z. Prior to that, I drove my brothers Genesis Coupe over the summer. I initially had my eyes set on a muscle car, but after driving the Z I remembered just how much I loved Japanese (and Korean!) tuners. It all comes down to your wants/needs.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Destroyeron

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
I fell in love the moment I test drove my Z. Prior to that, I drove my brothers Genesis Coupe over the summer. I initially had my eyes set on a muscle car, but after driving the Z I remembered just how much I loved Japanese (and Korean!) tuners. It all comes down to your wants/needs.
Admittedly, I really want a Camaro, however the Z makes much more financial sense for me right now. Hopefully in a couple years I'll have a paid off Z and a muscle car as well. I suppose in the end we'll see what I enjoy more.

The interior doesn't really bother me, I've been driving Jeeps all my life so...yeah.

As far as the slave cylinder problem (I'll definitely be getting a MT), was that recalled? I'm trying to look at models with a warranty or some type of extended warranty, but it'd be nice to know if that issue crops up that I'm covered. I don't see that repair being cheap otherwise.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The camaros are a dime a dozen. Plus they drive like boats. I'd take the Z over it any day unless u are getting the ZL1 Camaro.

The slave cylinder issue was a recall. You can have the dealer check national records to see if the work was done. If it fails again, there is always the alternative of buying an upgraded CSC. Just google around.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Destroyeron

Originally Posted by Deteria
The camaros are a dime a dozen. Plus they drive like boats. I'd take the Z over it any day unless u are getting the ZL1 Camaro.

The slave cylinder issue was a recall. You can have the dealer check national records to see if the work was done. If it fails again, there is always the alternative of buying an upgraded CSC. Just google around.
I've had Jeeps my life, so anything I step into from that is going to feel like a ballerina. I just think the 5th gen looks awesome, and the back seat would allow me to drive it and take my dog with me.

That said I'm pretty set on a 350Z now. I just have to find one with the right mileage and price.

I've read about 03/4s having a lot of problems. Most of those problems were fixed with warranty work correct? Should I shy away from those years or still consider them? I'm still going to consider the later years more preferably, but if one comes up at a good price then I'd like to know if I should go for it.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Deteria

Buy an 07+ if u can afford it. 03-06 have way too many issues that would affect you being able to have a safe n sound driving experience for the years to come. Oil consumption, bad transmission synchros, tire feathering.

And like I said, the 07-08 only really have 1 issue that would be of concern, and most ppl have already done the warranty/TSB on it. If anything, there are upgraded CSCs you can buy that would permanently alleviate the issue.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Destroyeron

I'm looking at an 07 Enthusiast with 50k on the clock for 15k right now. It's silver and I'd prefer black, but I think I'll survive.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Suwaidi

Do remember that if you get an 08, you still have warranty on the engine/transmission/airbags (powertrain is 5 years) till next year. I had a flashing airbag light and they replaced my passenger seat under warranty, out of warranty it would've been $2k+
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Shin Beats

Buy an 07+ if u can afford it. 03-06 have way too many issues that would affect you being able to have a safe n sound driving experience for the years to come. Oil consumption, bad transmission synchros, tire feathering.

And like I said, the 07-08 only really have 1 issue that would be of concern, and most ppl have already done the warranty/TSB on it. If anything, there are upgraded CSCs you can buy that would permanently alleviate the issue.
At the same token, I felt the necessity to add that 03-06 have been very reliable for plenty of members here...
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
TheWoods

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Destroyeron
As far as the slave cylinder problem (I'll definitely be getting a MT), was that recalled? I'm trying to look at models with a warranty or some type of extended warranty, but it'd be nice to know if that issue crops up that I'm covered. I don't see that repair being cheap otherwise.
My slave went out on my 06 (I personally love the 06 model) I bought a brand-new slave for 60 bucks (you can get a rebuilt kit for like 15 bucks on ebay) and it only took 20 minutes to change out and bleed. I wouldn't worry about that.

Most of the issues I've seen/had with Zs were easy to fix, since most of the stuff you can fix in your drive way. The only thing I would be concerned about is the clutch. I had 88k on my 06 when I bought it 6 months ago and I had to replace the clutch becuase it was pretty much gone.

A clutch can cost up to 2.5k w/ a flywheel @ a dealer. ( I would do it if you have the skills, time, and tools. You can get a OEM Exedy kit for 300 bucks.)

Besides that, like everyone else said, the interior sucks...

I'll list problems I've seen with the Zs

Slave cylinder
Headlight lense fogging
Window acuators doing w/e the f*** they want
Tire feathering
Throw-out bearing rattle (cant really do anything about that)
Diff clicking
Oil consumption (mainly 06 model)
Paint chips on front bumper
Interior rattle
Interior paint comming off
Dudes keep staring at you
Broke from moding addiction

A great link to see all the chief complaints and to get an idea what you'll probably experience is this one:https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...never-say.html

Last edited by TheWoods; 11-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
TheWoods

I have an 06 and the only prob I have had was the slave. And I DO NOT have an oil consumption issue. I got lucky?

Btw, my 06 just hit 100k. (knock on wood )
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Destroyeron

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
Do remember that if you get an 08, you still have warranty on the engine/transmission/airbags (powertrain is 5 years) till next year. I had a flashing airbag light and they replaced my passenger seat under warranty, out of warranty it would've been $2k+
But only 60k, most 08s I'm seeing don't have much, if any, of that left. I'll keep it under consideration though. As much as I love wrenching on cars I live in an apartment now, so it's not that easy anymore.

How should the clutch feel? Most of my stick experience is from old as hell Jeeps so I'd imagine it's completely different. Any surefire way to know its almost gone?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
FWM69

03's have tire feathering, early 04's had crappy trans I believe, 05 is the revup with no issues? Correct me if I'm wrong, some 06's consume oil, 07's slave master cylinder goes out but it's a cheap fix I've heard, and then 08 and 09's I believe are fine. So I would say if you get a late 04, you are fine but do not get upgraded headlights, with the 05 you get the rev up engine but no upgraded lights, with the 07,08,09's you get dual throttle bodies with two intakes, upgraded headlights, music control on the steering wheel and some bad a headlights, you choose.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
805350z

Besides the obvious motor and price differences, I'd go for an 03 or 08. least problems of any Z in those years. If you go for and 03, you can find a forced induction with low miles for about the same dollar as a sub 100k 08.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
FWM69

Originally Posted by 805350z
Besides the obvious motor and price differences, I'd go for an 03 or 08. least problems of any Z in those years. If you go for and 03, you can find a forced induction with low miles for about the same dollar as a sub 100k 08.
Have to keep into consideration though that some FI cars are done incorrectly so who knows what problem lies in the near future, if buying FI I would ask for so much documentation of all the work done and even then I'd still be skeptical.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Destroyeron

I think I'll keep away from FI. This is going to be my dd and as awesome as that sounds, I'd rather not have that on my mind.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 AM
JCITY
Banned

I'll take a different approach to your question.Some of the posts giving
their views have a laundry list of potential problems.
IMO,these problems will be more evident depending on howthe previous
owner/owners care for and drove the car.Some design quirks aside in
the earlier Z's(tire feathering),if the car was driven moderaterly,car
given to the interior(some guys hauled their dogs in the car!),the car
is pretty bulletproof.Furthermore,in any list of problem areas,MT cars/
clutches are mentioned.Maybe your driving style calls for a 5AT?
All in all,I've had my 03 Touring for 10 yrs.The only problems have been
replacing pads,the trunk accuator,cam sensor.Plus general upkeep belts etc.
Leather is in excellent condition.No scratches in the interior.
You just take care of your car.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Destroyeron

Originally Posted by JCITY
I'll take a different approach to your question.Some of the posts giving
their views have a laundry list of potential problems.
IMO,these problems will be more evident depending on howthe previous
owner/owners care for and drove the car.Some design quirks aside in
the earlier Z's(tire feathering),if the car was driven moderaterly,car
given to the interior(some guys hauled their dogs in the car!),the car
is pretty bulletproof.Furthermore,in any list of problem areas,MT cars/
clutches are mentioned.Maybe your driving style calls for a 5AT?
All in all,I've had my 03 Touring for 10 yrs.The only problems have been
replacing pads,the trunk accuator,cam sensor.Plus general upkeep belts etc.
Leather is in excellent condition.No scratches in the interior.
You just take care of your car.
I appreciate your opinion and agree with you. I'm certainly looking for a car that will only require basic maintenance to maintain for at least the length of my loan. That said, I find it comforting to know what is most likely to go wrong, if something does, and it just looks like the later years seem to be more affordable to fix.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Destroyeron

Went for it! 07 Enthusiast with 50k on the clock for 15k. What a blast to drive!