About to Buy a Z: Test Drive Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
EverySingleDay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Buy a Z: Test Drive Questions

Hey all,

Hope this is the best forum for this.

I'm looking to buy a 350Z, and I've looked at quite a few. Most were ragged and I didn't bother driving them, but today I drove a very clean looking Z that seemed to have been pretty well maintained. It's a 2003 Base with ~80k miles, that has already had the transmission replaced for the synchro issue. That was done by Nissan over 5 years ago, and the owner states that there haven't been any problems since. It shifted well on the test drive, but I only really ever upshifted. My questions are:

1) When Nissan replaces these transmissions themselves, do they replace an '03 transmission with another '03 transmission (that may very well fail again later), or do they use an upgraded (CD009) model?

2) The car felt a bit sluggish. It wasn't slow, but it certainly didn't feel like you'd expect a nearly 300hp car to. I've read even on this forum that some owners noted their cars felt sluggish/diffferent after the transmission replacement. Is this a likely culprit?

I'm hoping the car just needs a bit of basic maintenance/modding (say plugs, air filter, maybe a couple simple mods and a tune) to be woken up, but I'm curious to hear the thoughts of a couple people more familiar with these cars than me.

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
TWhetsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend trying to find a higher trim Z. You won't have LSD if that would be something important that you would like.

1. Check all doors to make sure vins match. As well as hood and deck lid.
2. Ask what type of oil they use, how frequent they changed it.
3. SERVICE RECORDS.
4. Make sure all lights/lens are the same dis-coloration. Dont want 1 new and 3 nasty.
5. Make sure all tires match (Brand, Size).
6. Possibly check under-carriage.
7. Mainly check for everything to be original such as gas cap, radiator cap, oil cap.
8. When you cold/warm start the vehicle, check to see how fast the oil pressure rises on the oil pressure gauge (Middle Gauge center dash).
9. Operating temp (Middle or a little below mid.)
10. Make sure the electric fans are working when sitting in traffic, should kick in at 75*f plus to keep engine cool in traffic.
11. Condition of wiper blades.
12. Shift **** Condition.

Little things but could possibly raise an eyebrow
There's more questions to ask just those are what came up for this time being.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
EverySingleDay

Originally Posted by TWhetsZ
I'd recommend trying to find a higher trim Z. You won't have LSD if that would be something important that you would like.

1. Check all doors to make sure vins match. As well as hood and deck lid.
2. Ask what type of oil they use, how frequent they changed it.
3. SERVICE RECORDS.
4. Make sure all lights/lens are the same dis-coloration. Dont want 1 new and 3 nasty.
5. Make sure all tires match (Brand, Size).
6. Possibly check under-carriage.
7. Mainly check for everything to be original such as gas cap, radiator cap, oil cap.
8. When you cold/warm start the vehicle, check to see how fast the oil pressure rises on the oil pressure gauge (Middle Gauge center dash).
9. Operating temp (Middle or a little below mid.)
10. Make sure the electric fans are working when sitting in traffic, should kick in at 75*f plus to keep engine cool in traffic.
11. Condition of wiper blades.
12. Shift **** Condition.

Little things but could possibly raise an eyebrow
There's more questions to ask just those are what came up for this time being.
Thanks! Cosmetically the car looks excellent. Matching panels/paint. No signs of any bodywork. No signs of corrosion. The seller has records and seems to have been on top of oil changes and fixing whatever has broken.

However, my concern is more with the repair of the more serious issue, which was the transmission. Hopefully Nissan fixed it properly and I won't be doing having to deal with it myself, but I'm not sure.

Additionally, I didn't see much in the way of the basic simple tune up stuff (spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc...). I'm wondering if it's likely that's most of the sluggishness I felt today, or if the transmission replacement was the cause like some other members here suspected. Don't want to just speculate if somebody has an answer.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

My trans was replaced 6 years ago, the latest was installed. Yes the cars do feel sluggish IMO, depending on what you drove before. Torque is deceiving, the car feels slowish, but is actually moving out well.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
TWhetsZ

Originally Posted by terrasmak
My trans was replaced 6 years ago, the latest was installed. Yes the cars do feel sluggish IMO, depending on what you drove before. Torque is deceiving, the car feels slowish, but is actually moving out well.
^ Great info from a Z owner that has had his transmission replaced and you experiencing same symptoms.

As long as the transmission isn't grinding, shifts smooth, downshifts smooth, I wouldn't be worried. Oh, also that the engine is running smoothly.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 AM
EverySingleDay

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Good to hear about your trans. Also, good (is it?) to hear that the slowish feeling is normal. I guess I just expected a bit more drama.

Originally Posted by TWhetsZ
^ Great info from a Z owner that has had his transmission replaced and you experiencing same symptoms.

As long as the transmission isn't grinding, shifts smooth, downshifts smooth, I wouldn't be worried. Oh, also that the engine is running smoothly.
Yep, it felt great on the test drive, but I wasn't sure as I'm certain many of the failure-prone transmissions felt great at one point too.

Any other experiences that corroborate mine, or any bang-for-buck mods/maintenance that could liven the car up a bit?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the goals of the engineers was to produce an engine with a flat torque curve which keeps the car stable when driven aggressively. The result is that you don't ever feel a surge in acceleration like you would with a turbo car.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

80,000 miles can get expensive. Does the Z need new dampers? New clutch?

Look for tell tale signs under the hood for previous forced induction: holes drilled in the engine bay? Brackets in the engine bay with nothing attached?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM
EverySingleDay

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
One of the goals of the engineers was to produce an engine with a flat torque curve which keeps the car stable when driven aggressively. The result is that you don't ever feel a surge in acceleration like you would with a turbo car.
Could be (and hopefully is) just that.

Originally Posted by davidv
80,000 miles can get expensive. Does the Z need new dampers? New clutch?

Look for tell tale signs under the hood for previous forced induction: holes drilled in the engine bay? Brackets in the engine bay with nothing attached?
Clutch felt good as it was replaced with the trans, so it doesn't have even close to 80k on it. Suspension felt good. I didn't see any signs the car was ever FI. I did look around the engine bay and it was normal. Car is bone stock and I saw no signs anything on the car was ever not factory.

Last edited by EverySingleDay; 06-24-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
bstingZ

What the asking price?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 PM
sonnydayZ

I just picked up a Z about a month ago. 03 base. Yeah It doesn't have LSD or brembo brakes, but I think I got it for a steal. It does seem a little sluggish in the cab from what i was expecting as well but then you look at your speedo and are going a lot faster than it feels. From what people have told me its normal. Mine had a 105 on it and I'm in love with it I'm sure you will too.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
TWhetsZ

OP, all that's left there to do now is pick up the Z. Also don't forget to post to the new owners section and let us know when you do! ADD PICS!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
EverySingleDay

Many thanks for all the replies, guys!

I'll report back if I pick it up and post up a few pics.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
kyoo

good luck w ur potential purchase