Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a Used 350z in Canada. Help Me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
TheRegime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Used 350z in Canada. Help Me!!!!

I am new to this forum so hello everyone. I have been feverishly searching for a used lower mileage 350z in Canada. I am looking for a 2007 or 2008 coupe. I have noticed that in the states they are a lot cheaper than here in Canada. Most are around 20k that I find right now.

Couple of questions?
-Is 20k that a good price for 07 or 08?
-Is the hassle of getting it across the border worth the money I would save?
-Should I try and buy one out east from Ontario where they seem to be about 5k cheaper? Then get it privately shipped across Canada?
-Is there anyone selling or know of any good deals in BC or Alberta at this current time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I started searching for a new car and caught a glimpse of a 350z I was instantly hooked. They are beautiful.

Thanks in advance to all replies.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM
CannMann21

20k for an HR with low miles is a decent deal for BC prices, I wouldn't pay much higher though. I looked on craigslist, and there aren't many for sale, a lot more 03-06.

I can't speak about importing from US, but just do a google search and there should be some information on it.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Kijiji. Foo'
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM
TheRegime

Originally Posted by CannMann21
20k for an HR with low miles is a decent deal for BC prices, I wouldn't pay much higher though. I looked on craigslist, and there aren't many for sale, a lot more 03-06.

I can't speak about importing from US, but just do a google search and there should be some information on it.
I searched a lot and actually think I found a car I might buy soon.

Originally Posted by Syner
Kijiji. Foo'
Looked on there and autotrader. Actually found this one at a used car dealer very near me.

A 2008 grand touring package with 55k km on it. It is listed at 21k on this site and 19,900 on their website. Ive been emailing the guy and offered 12500 he already dropped the price significantly with his counter offer. I think I can wrestle him down to 13500 with 500 fee for him and tax. So about 15000 bucks total after tax.

Is that a good deal? Im looking at the car tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by TheRegime
A 2008 grand touring package with 55k km on it. It is listed at 21k on this site and 19,900 on their website. Ive been emailing the guy and offered 12500 he already dropped the price significantly with his counter offer. I think I can wrestle him down to 13500 with 500 fee for him and tax. So about 15000 bucks total after tax.

Is that a good deal? Im looking at the car tomorrow.
Personally, I wouldn't want an automatic transmission so it's worthless to me. Standard transmission and I would definitely look at it - though I highly doubt you'd get an HR Grand Touring in Western Canada for under $20K.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
TheRegime

Originally Posted by Syner
Personally, I wouldn't want an automatic transmission so it's worthless to me. Standard transmission and I would definitely look at it - though I highly doubt you'd get an HR Grand Touring in Western Canada for under $20K.
I know standard is better for the track and truly driving a sports car. But I dont have the option unless I wait and wait for a deal to pp up. I do a lot of stop and go driving in my town. A lot of 4 way stops. Only learned how to drive standard last year. So I dont mind the automatic. If I had the choice and both were right here right now for close in price Id go manual.

But since this one is close by and here right now only has 55k on it and is a 2008 I think I have to take it at that price point. Maybe trade up to a manual sports car when i get some more money in the future.

Still like 13 or 14k for an auto 2008 has to be a good deal. Especially in western Canada, wouldnt you think?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

if it doesn't have Brembo brakes, it's not a GT, and I'll second the thumbs down on the 5AT. It's a shame to waste the greatness of the HR engine with that transmission.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 PM
TheRegime

Originally Posted by dcains
if it doesn't have Brembo brakes, it's not a GT, and I'll second the thumbs down on the 5AT. It's a shame to waste the greatness of the HR engine with that transmission.
Ill definitely ask to make sure it is a Grand Touring and not just a touring. It better have those brembo brakes and all the bells and whistles.

Also I know I know manual is better but Im in a tight spot. i want a new car I havent found any manuals for a good price. This one is like 45 mins away and priced to sell.

Only manuals Ive found have been 2006 for around 17k. And Id rather pass on the rev up engine and oil problems and get a 2007 or 2008. So I guess I will have to settle for automatic. I can still do manual shift mode I know its not the same but at least its not full auto.

On to my main question since Im going there tomorrow to work out a deal. What is a good price for an 08 if it is grand touring? What about if its just touring? Also how much would you pay for an auto as opposed to manual?

Please dont say 0.00 for auto give a realistic pricing it would really help me out.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
TheRegime

For example here is a 2007 on kijiji about 8 hours drive from me. He is asking 26000.

ABOVE NUMBER OF KM IS IN MILES NOT KILOMETERS (wasn't able to put in miles) . Excellent driving sports car, well looked after and kept clean. It's a 3.5L V6 (VQ35HR) Aftermarket parts include:
-Dual Nismo exhaust
-Dual Nismo intakes
-Nismo v2 spoiler (carbon fiber)
-Lightweight crank pulley
-New clutch
-Pioneer aftermarket stereo
-Bose sound system
-Tinted windows (Front 35%)
-3M on front
This car also comes with a set of 4 Blizzak winter tires

with 56k miles not km like the auto.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Can't help with Canadian pricing, but I'd pay ay least $1K less for a Touring, simply because any decent big brake kit (even used Brembo's) will cost at least $1.5K just to buy the parts.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 PM
TheRegime

Originally Posted by dcains
Can't help with Canadian pricing, but I'd pay ay least $1K less for a Touring, simply because any decent big brake kit (even used Brembo's) will cost at least $1.5K just to buy the parts.
Thanks for the info that helps a lot. I have to get all my ducks in a row before I go into battle and haggle with this dealership.

Last edited by TheRegime; 07-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking at the Canem Auto website this appears to be a Touring (not Grand Touring) model. One of the pictures of the front seems to show the single piston brake caliper of a Touring peeking through the wheel. Also the GT has staggered 18/19-inch lightweight forged wheels. This has some horrible chromed aftermarket things; make sure they are the correct offsets, sizes etc.

Still, 15,000 Canadian dollars out-the-door-price is a great buy for a low km 2008 Touring model. As always check Carfax etc. for accident history. Also arrange for an independent inspection, as this type of dealer may buys cars (with a history) that franchised dealers won’t touch.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM
TheRegime

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Looking at the Canem Auto website this appears to be a Touring (not Grand Touring) model. One of the pictures of the front seems to show the single piston brake caliper of a Touring peeking through the wheel. Also the GT has staggered 18/19-inch lightweight forged wheels. This has some horrible chromed aftermarket things; make sure they are the correct offsets, sizes etc.

Still, 15,000 Canadian dollars out-the-door-price is a great buy for a low km 2008 Touring model. As always check Carfax etc. for accident history. Also arrange for an independent inspection, as this type of dealer may buys cars (with a history) that franchised dealers won’t touch.
Ya I got the VIN JN1BZ34DX8M700449 and did that little work around trick on autocheck.

http://www.nextcarrental.com/autoche...-problem-check

It said had a lean back in 2007 and was a USA rental car. But it got repossessed and title says its completely clean now. ill still get a carfax but it does seem to check out. I also realized after seeing this post

350Z (base)
-306 - hp, 268 lb-ft of torque, 3.5-liter V6 with a 6-speed manual transmission
-18" Aluminum-alloy wheels
-High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights and heated outside mirrors
-Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
-Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
-CD audio system

Enthusiast
Includes 350Z equipment, plus:
-Traction Control System (TCS)
-Viscous Limited-slip rear differential
-Illuminated steering wheel-mounted audio controls and cruise control
-Auto-dimming rearview mirror
-Aluminum pedals

Touring
Includes Enthusiast equipment, plus:
-Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System
-Bose audio system with in-dash 6-CD changer
-Leather-appointed heated power seats
-Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)

Grand Touring
Includes Touring equipment, plus:
-Brembo braking system
-RAYS super-lightweight 18" (front)/19" (rear) forged alloy wheels
-Front chin spoiler
-Rear underbody diffusers and rear spoiler
-Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)

that is doesnt have a rear spoiler which only the grand touring has. I would guess its a Touring since it lists a BOSE audio system in the autotrader listing they posted. Is their any other way to verify? The VIN search just lists all models it doesnt specify.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Syner

I know standard is better for the track and truly driving a sports car. But I dont have the option unless I wait and wait for a deal to pp up. I do a lot of stop and go driving in my town. A lot of 4 way stops. Only learned how to drive standard last year. So I dont mind the automatic. If I had the choice and both were right here right now for close in price Id go manual.

But since this one is close by and here right now only has 55k on it and is a 2008 I think I have to take it at that price point. Maybe trade up to a manual sports car when i get some more money in the future.

Still like 13 or 14k for an auto 2008 has to be a good deal. Especially in western Canada, wouldnt you think?
Why compromise? You're making a knee-jerk decision because you "have to have one now." Wait it out, the right car at the right price will come around. You just have to be patient. IMO $20K is too much to compromise for.

But hey, it's your money.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
TheRegime

I went to look at the car yesterday. When I got there I saw that the model was a touring not GT. I took it for a test drive and it felt good but I think manual would have a lot more pick up. Seemed to take a little longer to shift in auto then it should. Also found out it had 3 accidents mostly recent and one cost 19k in damage. Also had 90k km not 55k as the ad said. So with all this in mind I would of still bought it for maybe around 10k. But not 15k. So after telling all of this to the sales guy he phoned his manager and came back with firm 14.5k. I walked away immidiately and said phone me if you have a better offer. He phoned his boss and phoned me back saying his boss said 15k but he will still honor the 14.5k he offered me before. Like he was doing me a favour. I just laughed and said lemme know when you have a real offer and hung up.

So the search continues. And I think 07 or 08 manual is my new search.

Also I noticed the interior even on the 08 looks dated. Cd player and buttons look worse than a 1998 car. Why didn't nissan make the interior consoles a little flashier or newer?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Syner

I went to look at the car yesterday. When I got there I saw that the model was a touring not GT. I took it for a test drive and it felt good but I think manual would have a lot more pick up. Seemed to take a little longer to shift in auto then it should. Also found out it had 3 accidents mostly recent and one cost 19k in damage. Also had 90k km not 55k as the ad said. So with all this in mind I would of still bought it for maybe around 10k. But not 15k. So after telling all of this to the sales guy he phoned his manager and came back with firm 14.5k. I walked away immidiately and said phone me if you have a better offer. He phoned his boss and phoned me back saying his boss said 15k but he will still honor the 14.5k he offered me before. Like he was doing me a favour. I just laughed and said lemme know when you have a real offer and hung up.

So the search continues. And I think 07 or 08 manual is my new search.

Also I noticed the interior even on the 08 looks dated. Cd player and buttons look worse than a 1998 car. Why didn't nissan make the interior consoles a little flashier or newer?
Pretty sure it's illegal for a dealership to pull sh*t like that here.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Regime are you interested in an HR roadster, there are a ton of HR convertibles here in Vancouver, West Vancouver and the North Shore. (roadsters will cost one to two thousand more than a coupe though). PM me your phone number and I’ll try to put you in touch with anybody selling.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
khudson7

Hey Regime or anyone else interested,
I live in suburbs of Montreal. I have a 2005 10th Aniversary edition(brembo brakes, leather seats etc) that I would like to sell. Originally bought it in California(U.S. car) but had it imported to Canada, made the changes needed to conform to Canada standard so it is now licenced in Quebec. Red color and in excellent condition. 46k U.S. miles. Looking for a price of $19,500.

If interested, PM me for more pics or info.
Ken

Last edited by khudson7; 07-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Syner

No offense Regime, but that price is too high.