Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a new Z: Bargaining strategies anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 12:07 PM
feddi225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a new Z: Bargaining strategies anyone?

I'm interested in buying a base or enthusiast either '04 or '05. Wondering what criteria I should look for in a dealer, what bargaining strategy should I use, etc.

What's the most that you've been able to bargain w/ the dealer and how did you do it?

I really want to custom it w/the exact options I want, but does that reduce my bargaining leverage? I don't care about the wait.

Am I better off acting like I don't want the car and telling him to reduce the cost of what he has on the lot or else remove the options I don't want?

I would prefer only getting an enthusiast w/ extra airbags and that's about it. They throw in all those extras (marked up like 100%) in there which I can get cheaper elsewhere (i.e. alum kick plate, etc.). If I'm just going to put a different spoiler on there myself why waste money on theirs right?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:14 PM
freqflyer

Are you looking at a roadster or coupe? Most of the dealers are still on allocation with the roadster so it will most likely have to be ordered anyway. There may some bargaining room with the coupes because they are a little more available.

Te options packages are pretty set on the Z. Not many variations inside the 4 coupe and 3 roaster models.

Good luck!! Let us know how you do.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:06 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Go in there with a number in mind and don't be scared to walk away from the table.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First read the buying the new car pages at carbuyingtips.com. Lengthy but packed with good info. Knowledge is power so you might as well arm yourself.

Then visit fightingchance.com and buy the package for the 2005 Z, if availalbe yet ($35 I think?). Even if info is limited, the price tag get's you the phone number of the owner of the business whom is quick to help you out and answer any question you may have during your buying process. One note: email the Internet Sales Department instead of faxing the Sales Manager...saves time and hassle as they are familiar with the technique and are quick with a response.

I was able to buy my 04 for invoice with no dealer fee and never had to leave my home to 'negotiate' a price.

You may find that it is too early in the model year to get a good deal on an 05 as there will most likely be a demand for them initially, but that should trickle off quickly as we get into the holidays giving you better odds at a good deal.

Happy hunting!
Old 11-06-2004, 02:26 PM
jackie chan

buying is alot easier than people say...just do a little online research Carsdirect and edmunds are good sources. you can buy an 04 close to invoice these days and then you can also get 2% financing for up to 60 months. Personally I would use the web, but i am bias that way for a reason. Make sure you buy from a dealer that makes you comfortable and doesnt act like they are doing you a favor. Have fun you're buying a z
Old 11-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Q_350Z_USAF

Default So many factors to consider..

Most of what I'm saying, you've probably already heard so here's my .02 anyway. I think you have to have a game plan, which your forming, that's good. However, the key is sticking to that game plan and have the foresight to be patient if things don't go your way when your negotiating. You can search and get all the data you need, but if you don't use in the best or most practical means...It means nothing...Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get a fair deal.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:51 AM
willpower

If your NOT paying cash....Then I would say get your finances pre approved first....they will roll out the red carpet for you.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:19 PM
yeperra

Here on the west coast you can get a new Z for $300.00 over dealer invoice at Performance Nissan in southern Ca. or in Bremberton Washington go to Advantage Nissan and pay $500.00 under dealer invoice for a coupe or $500.00 over for a roadster. I just cut a deal here in the SF bayarea for $500.00 under dealer invoice for an 05 Track on order, cash. Advantage Nissan has a web site detailing all the deals they have. Adam Smith is great to work with also. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
Go in there with a number in mind and don't be scared to walk away from the table.
Totally.

* Determine the highest amount you are willing to pay before leaving your house. Don't budge on that price. Offer them less than that and when they weasle around and try to inch upward, don't budge. If you do move on your offer, don't ever go above your predetermined price.

* Don't trade in another vehicle. Sell it privately before or after getting the Z.

* You will like the test drive but don't go out of your way to show enthusiasm.

* Think about purchasing an extended warranty before leaving your house. We got a 10-year/100k miles full coverage warranty for around $1k. That wasn't something we considered when coming up with our original "comfort" price though.

* Consider insurance. My Z insurance is almost double that of the Ford Escape I used to drive. Almost double!

* Go to buy the car at the end of the month. They're much more willing to negotiate to meet quotas.

* If it works out, go to buy the car at the end of an even #'d month (Feb/April/June/Aug/Oct/Dec). Blue Book values change on the 1st of every odd #'d month. My dealer admitted to taking this into account when making the deal with us. A car worth $28k on Oct 31, will be worth a bit less on Nov 1.

* Be firm on your price. If I hadn't walked away from the table at another dealer, I might be driving an Integra Type-R right now.

When I got my 03 Track, we went to the dealer willing to pay $26k for a car. They had it listed at $32k-ish, on sale for $28/29k. We offered them $24,500 and eventually settled on $26k. When we said $26k was the best we could do, they wouldn't bite. So we thanked them, got up to leave, and they went *****-out. By the time we reached the front door, they had come back with an offer of $26,300. We still didn't move and they agreed to do $26k + they would pay our DMV fees (~$200).

Last edited by ANXIOUZ; 11-08-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
OP Z

Wait until there's snow on the ground and right before Christmas if possible.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:37 AM
amallari

I have some friends at Herb Gordon Nissan, I've bought serveral nissans from them and they treat you professionally. I would stick to what you want for a Ethusiast Z or maybe a Touring model. If you do go ask for Russell States. He will take good care of you. Tell him Alan refered you. Good luck, and if you have questions let me know.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

At the end of the month.....

Write a check for $2,000 less than the lowest price you negotiate.......but don't sign it. Give it to the salesperson who appears to be most desperate for a sale, and leave.

They will call and call and call and call. Each time the price will be lower.

DO NOT BE ANXIOUS. Pretend (if you have to) that time is not important to you.

I'm not saying this works every time, but it did for me once, and I saved more than I ever imagined I would.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:28 PM
ClayA

Email me with your specs and I'll shoot you a straight price the first time! Thanks, Clay
Old 11-08-2004, 03:13 PM
gunmetal

wear a bomb strapped to your chest they will give you a little break on price
Old 11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
feddi225

Default Here's what I want

Why does Touring say base MSRP is $31,800 on the website and then when you design it, before adding any options it says total designed MSRP is $33,960. What does that mean. Can you get a touring w/o leather or a bose system? I don't see a Touring for MSRP $31,800. Regardless here's what I want...and why...

Enthusiast (I feel that the headlights are the only thing I cannot do myself w/aftermarket parts)
Don't care for leather, it's a sports car (Can't afford it either)
Stereo I can do myself
Why VCD? (My friends with their Gs always turn it off anyways)
Wheels I can get myself, same w/ a much better looking spoiler than their little piece of crap
Brembos are overpriced and I've heard people are having problems w/them
I don't see any other options really worth anything after the Base and Enthusiast models

What I want...

Ultra Yellow ($500) or Daytona Blue Enthusiast (MSRP $28,450)
Side and Curtain Air Bags ($620)
Splash Guards ($130)
Destination & Handling ($560)
Total Designed MSRP $29,760

What I don't want...

Carpeted Floor Mats ($80)
Aluminum Kick Plate ($100)
Carpeted Trunk Mat ($ 70)
Aerodynamics Package ($530)
Cargo Convenience Package ($80)

All these little pieces of crap are marked up so much. I can get these elsewhere, or better ones (i.e. all weather mats and a real spoiler) for much less. I can't even see the chin spoiler, I've looked and can't see it at all, I don't think they even install it sometimes (lol).

My thought is I can get a Base for $26k and an enthuZiast for $28k, am I right?
Old 11-08-2004, 05:12 PM
CDogg

Default Re: Here's what I want

Originally posted by feddi225
Why does Touring say base MSRP is $31,800 on the website and then when you design it, before adding any options it says total designed MSRP is $33,960. What does that mean. Can you get a touring w/o leather or a bose system? I don't see a Touring for MSRP $31,800.
With the Touring model, the manual transmission actually costs more. I think that's because getting the manaul trans comes as a package with different wheels and maybe other stuff.

When you first select to build a Touring on the NIssanUsa.com site, it starts as manual. After you pick the color, you choose transmission and, if you choose auto, the price will drop.

Carlin
Old 11-08-2004, 05:51 PM
DragonGcoupe

When I got my 03 Track, we went to the dealer willing to pay $26k for a car. They had it listed at $32k-ish, on sale for $28/29k. We offered them $24,500 and eventually settled on $26k. When we said $26k was the best we could do, they wouldn't bite. So we thanked them, got up to leave, and they went *****-out. By the time we reached the front door, they had come back with an offer of $26,300. We still didn't move and they agreed to do $26k + they would pay our DMV fees (~$200).
Didn't work for me.. I HATE Universal City Nissan. Still working to negotiate a FULLY LOADED Track to 31K-32K range. They sell 500+ cars a month and have the only Z I want...
Old 11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
feddi225

That's terrible?! My friend didn't get the touring and manual because of that reason. They are still doing that in '05. Gotta stay down low with the price, HP and looks don't change a bit. Only the headlights are worth it IMO.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 PM
CaptinB

Always start at the Invoice price and go up from there. Never start at MSRP and go down. Find the invoice price at Edmunds.com

The Enthusaist is the best value because of the HIDs, LSD, HomeLink, and Cruise Control.

CaptinB
Old 11-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just call the dealership where you want to buy the car and ask to speak with the fleet manager. tell him that you want an 05 enthusiast for the price that you want and tell him you want to come in and buy it today.

Always work with the fleet manager, it's always easier.

Quick Reply: Buying a new Z: Bargaining strategies anyone?