Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

how often should you wax

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 AM
jvolpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often should you wax

i've done a few searches but didnt get exactly what i was looking for. anyone know how often you should wax your Z, and what type of wax gives it the best shine? i know the type is subjective, but is there any type of wax you SHOULDNT use?
Old 11-03-2002, 07:25 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some sort of polymer wax is best, there are many brands. I use zaino.

as long as I can I plan to wash and wax every weekend. if I miss a weekend of waxing, Itll live. I dont think you can wax too much, but in the case of polymer waxes, it takes a little while for the wax to totally dry after your all done waxing.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:28 AM
jvolpe

i had heard a whlie back that waxing more than every 6 months could strip the clear coat off. doesnt sound right, but wanted to ask. also, are you waxing by hand or with an electric waxer/buffer?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by jvolpe
i had heard a whlie back that waxing more than every 6 months could strip the clear coat off. doesnt sound right, but wanted to ask. also, are you waxing by hand or with an electric waxer/buffer?
No, any common use wax or polish will be fine to use as much as you like, it will not strip the clear coat. Now if you used an polishing or rubbing compound every week, that would be different as those products are made to remove small amounts of clear coat to level down and feather paint scratches.

Zaino is totally non abrasive, there are no solids and no cleaners in the Z-2 Show Car Polish or the Z-5.

Most of my customers go 4 to 6 months without applying coats of Zaino polish. The MOST important thing to do on a weekly basis is a good washing by hand with Z-7 Show Car Wash and a car detail using the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer.

The Z-7 contains the Z-2 polish, so every time you wash you also polish without even knowing it. The Z-6 also helps to boost the polish lasting ability.

Zaino like most waxes is meant to be applied by hand and removed with a 100% cotton, bath towel, white in color.

Never wash your car towels using powder detergent, the powders do not wash out and the granules can scratch the paint. Always use liquid detergent to wash your car towels.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:05 AM
jvolpe

Kevin you rock!! Thanks, you also answered all my other questions that i didnt post

Is there a website that i can purchase these products from? I'd love to get a head start on my car care products before my car comes in. 2 weeks and counting
Old 11-04-2002, 07:16 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by jvolpe
Kevin you rock!! Thanks, you also answered all my other questions that i didnt post

Is there a website that i can purchase these products from? I'd love to get a head start on my car care products before my car comes in. 2 weeks and counting

www.zainobros.com is the home page, I will send you an email/PM with more info.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Zerostixxs

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
www.zainobros.com is the home page, I will send you an email/PM with more info.

Can you send more info also Kevin? I'm getting my car soon also.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:33 AM
Kevin V

You can also e-mail Zaino and ask who the closest distributor is to you.

wet@zainobros.com
Old 11-05-2002, 12:26 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Kevin Overall

The Z-7 contains the Z-2 polish, so every time you wash you also polish without even knowing it. The Z-6 also helps to boost the polish lasting ability.

Wait a minute.....by definition, "polishing" mean you are using some sort of abrasive to eliminate surface contaminants or hairline scratches. Polishing also removes wax and/or polymers. You're saying that the car wash contains abrasives? This sounds ridiculous, especially since when you wash, you certainly do not address the entire surface in a uniform manner as you do when actually using a polish.

"Polish lasting ability"? What does that mean? Polish is an abrasive...why would you want to leave it on your paint???
Old 11-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by ZZtopp
Wait a minute.....by definition, "polishing" mean you are using some sort of abrasive to eliminate surface contaminants or hairline scratches. Polishing also removes wax and/or polymers. You're saying that the car wash contains abrasives? This sounds ridiculous, especially since when you wash, you certainly do not address the entire surface in a uniform manner as you do when actually using a polish.

"Polish lasting ability"? What does that mean? Polish is an abrasive...why would you want to leave it on your paint???

There are polishes with abrasives and then there are some without, I know it is confusing but Sal Zaino, 20 years ago named his product which is a synthetic paint protector a polish as at the time synthetics where very new on paint surfaces and he did not call it a wax as it was not a carnabua wax. And actually if your product is a cleaner wax it will contain a very small amount of grit for paint cleaning. Zaino contains no cleaners nor abrasives of any kind.

Z-7 contains the same gloss agents as the Z-2.

There are many synthetic based non abrasive products on the market now that are called polishes, Duragloss would also be another example of such.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Kevin V

I think of Zaino as a "synthetic polymer".