Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

DF Towels causing Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DF Towels causing Swirls

Suppposedly a few folks are saying the DF towels are causing swirls. Anyone else wanna back this theory or fact up?

Here is what the folks are saying.

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlantic/118889-zaino-anyone.html

The test is to rub a DF towel on a scratchless CD.
Folks are saying the DF towels are scratching the CD thus will leave swirls.

Any other towels that will not scratch when detailing?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Vrm_Vrm

Never had a problem with the DFTowels. If anything is scratching, it's something that didn't get watched out of the towel, my guess.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrm_Vrm
Never had a problem with the DFTowels. If anything is scratching, it's something that didn't get watched out of the towel, my guess.
Normally I'd agree with you but I know that's not the reason behind mine. I do the exact same wash and dry to my DF towels as my cotton towels and the cotton towels are failing the CD test.

I also don't have a problem with swirls, so as far as I know my DF towels are not causing a problem but I'm worried about the potential for one later.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I am testing my brand new DF towel right out of the package today on a CD, I will post the results this afternoon.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:45 AM
DFTowel

zand02max, the thread you point out does not mention DF towels. Have you actually seen this yourself? I'd be curios to see the towel that did this as all our testing and all our client feedback has never indicated scratches or swirls. Keep in mind, however, that any towel can cause scratches if it picks up debris or other foreign matter. Even undissolved powdered detergent can be a problem.

We test each and every production lot and cannot get a CD to scratch no matter how hard we rub.

If the towel you have is scratching contact me at df@leocerruti.com so I can send you a new one and you can send me that one to test.

Leo
Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by DFTowel
zand02max, the thread you point out does not mention DF towels. Have you actually seen this yourself? I'd be curios to see the towel that did this as all our testing and all our client feedback has never indicated scratches or swirls. Keep in mind, however, that any towel can cause scratches if it picks up debris or other foreign matter. Even undissolved powdered detergent can be a problem.

We test each and every production lot and cannot get a CD to scratch no matter how hard we rub.

If the towel you have is scratching contact me at df@leocerruti.com so I can send you a new one and you can send me that one to test.

Leo
Your right, thats the wrong thread,

Here you go,

https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-and-detailing/118534-swirls-light-scratches-are-pissing-me-off.html

Last edited by zand02max; 04-19-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
afr0puff

Originally Posted by zand02max
I am testing my brand new DF towel right out of the package today on a CD, I will post the results this afternoon.
IIRC, you are supposed to wash the towels before using them. They aren't packaged "clean."

But this thread got me scared so I tried it. First I tried my old microfiber towels. The blue ones. That did not leave any scratches. Then I tried a clean DF towel, no scratches. But I tried a DF towel that I had used for buffing Z5 off, that left ever so slight scratches. But I hadn't washed that towel in weeks, so maybe the z5 was caked on.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 PM
pyindeem

Just wash my car for the 1st time today, using "the Absorber" to dry it , do you guys know if this type of material will give swirls to the clear coat?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Vrm_Vrm

Default Come on, join us in the new millenium!

Originally Posted by pyindeem
Just wash my car for the 1st time today, using "the Absorber" to dry it , do you guys know if this type of material will give swirls to the clear coat?
It won't swirl, but you'll be wringing out The Absorber until your arms ache. HIGHLY recommend a waffle-weave microfiber towel (normally called the "Big Blue Drying Towel." On your Z, you'll probably only have to wring the towel out once, maybe twice. It is a FANTASTIC drying product.

But, to answer your question, if you're using either one on a clean car, you will not get scratches from the towel.

Froogle search for drying towel
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

DF towels are great, no swirlmarks here. I'll go through 4 towels removing a coat of Zaino, on for each quarter of the car. When in doubt, grab a clean towel...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
pyindeem

Originally Posted by Vrm_Vrm
It won't swirl, but you'll be wringing out The Absorber until your arms ache. HIGHLY recommend a waffle-weave microfiber towel (normally called the "Big Blue Drying Towel." On your Z, you'll probably only have to wring the towel out once, maybe twice. It is a FANTASTIC drying product.

But, to answer your question, if you're using either one on a clean car, you will not get scratches from the towel.

Froogle search for drying towel
Thanks. I ll try the blue towel out.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 PM
dan-14

when you wash/dry your car do it in one direction over the entire car using a back and forth motion instead of a circular motion. this will reduce the visability of any scratches you may make, because a scratch in a straight line is harder to see at all angles than a circular scratch(swirl marks).
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dan-14
when you wash/dry your car do it in one direction over the entire car using a back and forth motion instead of a circular motion. this will reduce the visability of any scratches you may make, because a scratch in a straight line is harder to see at all angles than a circular scratch(swirl marks).
Same rules apply for waxing and buffing. The only variation to the recommendation is front to back on horizontal surfaces, up and down on vertical surfaces.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the test with my large arsenal of DF towels. They are over one year old now and were recently cleaned. NO Scratches from mine.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:29 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Last edited by zand02max; 05-08-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
DFTowel

Originally Posted by zand02max
Well I tried the CD test on my DF towels, Guess what, I got scratches galore.

I am e-mailing DF Towel. This is disturbing as I am very **** and I only wash with woolite and on delicate and wash them by themselves.
I received your email and responded, as most companies will tell you it is better to first approach customer service before making public statements. However, we find no record of your purchase except a request to be on our mailing list nearly a year ago. I suspect over time these towels have not been properly cleaned as using Woolite is too mild and you should wash in HOT water, normal cycle, liquid detergent.

In over 20,000 towels sold this is the first complaint. The earlier one by another member here was retracted as you know.

Send us the towels in question along with the CD and we'll send replacements. Once analyzed we'll be sure to post the results here for you.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:00 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by DFTowel
I received your email and responded, as most companies will tell you it is better to first approach customer service before making public statements. However, we find no record of your purchase except a request to be on our mailing list nearly a year ago. I suspect over time these towels have not been properly cleaned as using Woolite is too mild and you should wash in HOT water, normal cycle, liquid detergent.

In over 20,000 towels sold this is the first complaint. The earlier one by another member here was retracted as you know.

Send us the towels in question along with the CD and we'll send replacements. Once analyzed we'll be sure to post the results here for you.
Sorry for posting on the forum like this. I am not in the game of trying to get free towels here.

I purchased the DF Towels from Kevin Overall, as you know he is an authorized DF Towel vendor. I have used the Towels approx 10 times.

I e-mailed you concerning my issue.

Last edited by zand02max; 05-08-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:45 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

FOLKS,

I am doing the cleaning process all wrong, thats why I have scratches.

1. I am washing them with cold water not hot water and using Woolite instead of a liquid detergent. Apparently the Woolite and cold water is not getting the particles out.

And the biggest one of them all,

I am leaving them in my garage instead of in a container.

I apologize to DF Towel for this issue.