Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I bought a random orbit buffer/polisher.... What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I bought a random orbit buffer/polisher.... What should I do?

I bought a new buffer, and it incluldes applicator bonnets, terry cloth bonnets, and a polishing bonnet. I'm about to goto the store to see what I can buy.

My first question is, I have some Zaino Clay bars, would it be a good idea to buy a mother's clay bar because it includes a clay bay lubricant?

My second question is, how should I use this for my prep work? Like... should I use it after claying to polish out any remaining waterspots, and what should I buy to do that with? (I always seem to have water spots left, even if I dry it really quickly.)

My third question is, should I use the applicator bonnets to apply Zaino, or should I use the terry cloth ones? The applicator bonnets are these blue disposable ones that have pores in them... I hope that helps.

My fourth question is, should I use the polishing bonnet to buff off Zaino, or should I just do it with a towel (And if its a towel, would it be better for me to buy a microfiber one, or would it be better if I just used a 100% cotton towel)?

I appriciate your help ^_^
Old 05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Kevin Overall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My first question is, I have some Zaino Clay bars, would it be a good idea to buy a mother's clay bar because it includes a clay bay lubricant?"

??? why would you want to spend more money for another clay bar, the Zaino clay will work fine, you do not have to use expensive detail sprays to clay with, simple car wash and water make a fine clay lube, see the this link:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...de=APPLICATION

"My second question is, how should I use this for my prep work? Like... should I use it after claying to polish out any remaining waterspots, and what should I buy to do that with? (I always seem to have water spots left, even if I dry it really quickly.)"

I assume you mean what kind of polish compund should you try after claying? if so, just pick up some 3M Swirl Mark Remover part number 39009, it is a good product especially for newbie detailers.........

"My third question is, should I use the applicator bonnets to apply Zaino, or should I use the terry cloth ones? The applicator bonnets are these blue disposable ones that have pores in them... I hope that helps."

Neither, Zaino is applied by hand, I do not suggest a newbie use a buffer to apply Zaino, just apply it with a cotton applicator (use the Zaino applicator), let dry, and buff off and then Z-6 it.

"My fourth question is, should I use the polishing bonnet to buff off Zaino, or should I just do it with a towel (And if its a towel, would it be better for me to buy a microfiber one, or would it be better if I just used a 100% cotton towel)?"

Buff off by hand as I mentioned above, buy a high quality towel, if you plan using micro fiber you have your choice of either the cotton micro fibers offered from www.dftowel.com or all other micro fiber towels are man made, but get them from an online retailer that sells them just for car paint, do not buy them at a discount store. If you use a cotton bath terry towel, but a good one made from Supima cotton at Kohls or Bed, Bath, and beyond, do not buy a 2 dollar bath towel, a good Supima towel should run 15 dollars or more each......................
Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Zshazz

Okay thank you ^_^

Edit: For the Zaino window polish, it says it can be applied by machine, which one of the applicators should I use your that?

Last edited by Zshazz; 05-08-2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: another question
Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I seriously suggest that you don't use that buffer unless you KNOW how to do it. You may end up causing more damage than you are repairing.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally Posted by Zshazz
Okay thank you ^_^

Edit: For the Zaino window polish, it says it can be applied by machine, which one of the applicators should I use your that?
The Zaino z-12 is a very high powered abrasive made to remove tough water spots and stains from the glass area, it is not a windex type window cleaner. If you want to use with a buffer you would use a terry cotton bonnett and dampen that with water a little bit.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
I seriously suggest that you don't use that buffer unless you KNOW how to do it. You may end up causing more damage than you are repairing.
Everyone has to learn some things as they go, he can start on an older car and get the hang of it........
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevin Overall
Everyone has to learn some things as they go, he can start on an older car and get the hang of it........
That'd work...I just wouldn't start out on a brand new car that you're trying to keep perfect. If you have a beater/winter car/another car you don't care about...or a neighbors car when they aren't home then try that first to get the hang of it.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Zshazz

Thank you ^_^

I've been trying to clean up my old 1997 BMW, and thats what I'm learning on. I can't do too much more damage than what has been done to it. It has sooo many paint chips and super deep scratches, its not even funny. After I've washed and waxed it, though, it looks a whole lot better. I'm gonna end up doing the windows tomorrow... I might try using the buffer for the outside windows and using a window cleaner I got from autozone for the inside. I don't like windex for windows. When it becomes foggy, you can see streaks and it looks bad o_O.