Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Volk Wheels - discoloration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks bro, I have the same wheels in gold and I haven't had any problems, more than likely it's that purple tire gell I think. There's also another guy who has a similar problem and he's been using tire gell on his volks as well and wheel cleaner, so I'm guessing it's due to the fact of any products other than soap hitting the lip is going to disfigure the color.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Will Pwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had this problem with any of the 7 sets of volks that I have owned, but I did have this problem on an old set of Racing Hart Tracers....it was due to the lye in a certain wheel cleaner....if you leave it on too long it "burns" a haze into the clear coat. From that point, on I have been very careful and selective with using any wheel cleaners.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-19-2006, 04:58 PM
noodleman

Will_Pwr, so what do you use now to clean your volks? I'm thinking of using Zaino on my up and coming volks, think that will stain the lip?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by noodleman
Will_Pwr, so what do you use now to clean your volks? I'm thinking of using Zaino on my up and coming volks, think that will stain the lip?

Diluted mixture of simple green works or just use regular carwash mixture. I have a good sponge specifically for wheels or use a pressure washer on them as well. For polish, I use mothers aluminum polish. I havent had expericence with Zaino, so I cant say for sure...but I know that those spray on wheel cleaners (not all, but some that I have used) arent always friendly, especially if you leave it on there for a while.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Tzuten

Originally Posted by ryanwiggum
http://www.mackinindustries.com/contact.html

I suggest you call them instead. THey didn't respond to my e-mail
Have you gotten any response yet from them? I left a message with one of their reps, they did not call me back. I'll try calling again Tuesday, but it seems we're SOL.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Volk350Z
Master

For those that email productinfo@mackinindustries.com we get alot of email each day. Sorry for the delay, but we do have other stuff to do then replying email lol.. If you have question please call us directly, but concerning the color problem. Please contact the dealer/shop you got the wheels from, they will contact us to resolve the problem.

I have 13 other volk wheels as well and never had this problem, but my friend with a set of GTN on his Integra that use some wheel cleaning product that did discolor his wheel.

please contact your dealer that you got the wheels from. This way we will see which shop offer you guys good service.

Brian x102
Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Tzuten

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
For those that email productinfo@mackinindustries.com we get alot of email each day. Sorry for the delay, but we do have other stuff to do then replying email lol.. If you have question please call us directly, but concerning the color problem. Please contact the dealer/shop you got the wheels from, they will contact us to resolve the problem.

I have 13 other volk wheels as well and never had this problem, but my friend with a set of GTN on his Integra that use some wheel cleaning product that did discolor his wheel.

please contact your dealer that you got the wheels from. This way we will see which shop offer you guys good service.

Brian x102
I believe some of us have. However, they're unwilling to do ANYTHING. Basically the shop informed me that they tried to contact you guys (I am assuming you are a rep for Macklin) but you guys said there was nothing you can do. So who's responsibility does this fall in? The dealer or the distributor? And I can 100% say that I've NEVER used any cleaning product that was not clearcoat safe. If Volks discolor from normal car wash (Meguirs) fluid, then I guess I did...

I'll try calling the dealer again. I'll not mention who the dealer is, for now...

Last edited by Tzuten; 02-20-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by Tzuten
I believe some of us have. However, they're unwilling to do ANYTHING. Basically the shop informed me that they tried to contact you guys (I am assuming you are a rep for Macklin) but you guys said there was nothing you can do. So who's responsibility does this fall in? The dealer or the distributor? And I can 100% say that I've NEVER used any cleaning product that was not clearcoat safe. If Volks discolor from normal car wash (Meguirs) fluid, then I guess I did...

I'll try calling the dealer again. I'll not mention who the dealer is, for now...
Well the only time I heard about this was from chris @ f1 motorsports, other then that I never heard anything for anyother vendor. But please contact your dealer and make sure they call us...

Also you are in orange country so worst case your vendor will tell you to come by and show it to us..
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an update, I checked and my wheels are stamped August 2005. Again, no discoloration whatsoever.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:51 AM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
For polish, I use mothers aluminum polish. I havent had expericence with Zaino, so I cant say for sure...but I know that those spray on wheel cleaners (not all, but some that I have used) arent always friendly, especially if you leave it on there for a while.

I wouldnt use aluminum polish on clear coated wheels that will ruin the finish for sure, those polishes are made for unclear coated wheels and billets. Many spray on wheel washes like AtoZ has corrosive chemicals in them that is supposed to wash off baked on brake dust is harmful for many wheels finishes.

Just use regular car wash soap with a soft wash mitt and wax the wheels regulary with a premium wax (i use Motul wash n wax) on my wheels so it keeps brake dust and junk easy to clean off and it doesnt get baked on.

Anyways good luck with your wheel questions, hopefully Rays will do something about it.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 PM
ryanwiggum

I was washing my car today, and I noticed that another one of the lips is discolored. Great.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Volk350Z
Master

If your wheel do have discolored please call your dealer and have them call us. All i heard so for is still one wheel from Chris @ F1 Motorsports.. so if there's more I havn't heard anything yet from all the dealer..
Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 PM
ryanwiggum

If your wheel do have discolored please call your dealer and have them call us. All i heard so for is still one wheel from Chris @ F1 Motorsports.. so if there's more I havn't heard anything yet from all the dealer..
I sent Chris an email, he hasn't responded yet.

I should probably wait and see if the rest of my wheels develop the discoloration

Last edited by ryanwiggum; 02-22-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Tzuten

I've also talked to Chris on the phone. Chris offered me the solution to chrome the lip, which I would have to pay for. Unacceptable as far as I am concerned. IMO, the wheels need to be replaced. There is no rash on the wheels and I've been VERY diligent in cleaning them and caring for them.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 AM
ryanwiggum

I was told by a rep from Mackin that I would I have ship the defective wheels back to the vendor to start the warranty claims process. However I don't know if that guarantees me fixed wheels. I would have to dismount the wheels from the tires and ship them out. that could end up costing a bit of cash.

Perhaps I should get them re-clearcoated? How much does that usually run?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Tzuten

Originally Posted by ryanwiggum
I was told by a rep from Mackin that I would I have ship the defective wheels back to the vendor to start the warranty claims process. However I don't know if that guarantees me fixed wheels. I would have to dismount the wheels from the tires and ship them out. that could end up costing a bit of cash.

Perhaps I should get them re-clearcoated? How much does that usually run?
Not sure.. But the problem is definitely the clear coat. So shipping it back to the Vendor, in Japan? Ugh... And who'd pay for that? This is probably the last time i deal in Volks.. I'll give my friends a heads up too. I've owned several BBS, and SSR's. Never a problem.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 AM
fahrenheit350

Hey guys, just a word of advice.

Please contact your dealer/distributor about any issues relating to manufacturing problems on your wheels. It's imperative to start and keep a document trail to file a claim. Keep all emails sent and received in addition to who and when you talk to on telephone conversations.

I makes it A LOT easier down the road if this keeps getting dragged on.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Driven1
Professional

You can also go out and buy an Aircraft/aviation rated stripper and strip the clear coat off the lips. Of course take the wheels apart first. This will take it down to the bare metal which you can polish all you want to get the desired shine you're looking for. Just one drawback, they become a little more maintenance as far as the cleaning goes. But bye bye discoloration forever. We just did it to a set of I forged and they came out amazing. Just be aware that aircraft stripper is some harsh stuff.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Mackin have a rep from rays usa here to check the wheels.. so it not going to japan. The shipping issue you would have to deal with your dealer.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
ryanwiggum

I called Chris from F1 last Friday, he told me he call Mackin to see if they guarantee to fix my wheels. He hasn't called me back.

He's probably annoyed.

Last edited by ryanwiggum; 02-28-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Volk Wheels - discoloration?