Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How long doest it take to Zaino your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
rkd350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How long doest it take to Zaino your car?

I haven't ues any Zaino products yet but I'm interested in Zainoing my car.

I saw many different comment and everyone here puts Zaino differently.

How long is going to take when I first do Zaino and how long is going to take

after the first?

And what method do you suggest? How many layers of what and what?

It's kinda confusing.. but oh whell.. maybe I'll try if you guys can answer me

good. by the way, my Z is MB.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I can put on a "maintenance" coat in 45 minutes. That's putting it on, waiting a half-hour to dry and wiping it off. Add another couple of minutes if you're going to top it with Z-6 or Z-8 (spray).
Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 AM
nothingremains

is this stuff really that good and it worth all that money?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Wil350lieZ

It's worth the investment, I have an 03 LS and just bit the bullet and got the Zaino kit and I should have been doing thiss all the time. I was looking at the cost and now I'm looking at the shine on my Z.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I found more that 500 How to use Zaino threads. Do we really need another?

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1244730
Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
I found more that 500 How to use Zaino threads. Do we really need another?

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1244730
a mod should really sticky one of the detailed how to zaino posts in here.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Mathys

^^ +1

What's wrong with the good instructions on the official Zaino website anyway? People don't trust them?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:05 AM
plumpzz

Zaino is good. i used meguires for a while (the 3 step) and its pretty hard to put on and it takes a long time to take off- since its so thick. Zaino is thinner than water so you get a very thin layer on and it comes off easier. Also, the shine lasts for freakin ever. Its been 3.5 weeks since i zainoed my car, and it still looks like i zainoed it a week ago..
Old 04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
VashZ350

yeah Its worth it

Old 04-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingremains
i love how people make it sound like your gonna drop hundreds on this stuff. for the love of god people! please feel free to spend $30 to get the best protection and shine for you 20k+ investment.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:02 PM
dens_310

sorry about this question. but what is zaino..?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 PM
dens_310

is it a brand wax or something? just want to know
thanks

dennis
Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 PM
VashZ350

here you go bro' http://www.zainostore.com/

i love how people make it sound like your gonna drop hundreds on this stuff. for the love of god people! please feel free to spend $30 to get the best protection and shine for you 20k+ investment.
^^^ +1

I mean I spent like 90$ for the kit and It lasted me for almost a year !! and its the best 90$ I ever spent that makes my car look even better than new!!

Last edited by VashZ350; 04-22-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 PM
plumpzz

it takes about.. 20 minutes to put it on, then wait 1 hour, and then 10 minutes to take it off. You usually do 2 coats, but it lasts for about 2-3 months. the 90 dollar zaino kit will last me 1 yr. i've only used 1/4th of it and ive had it since december, and yes, i wax my car in 20 degree weather :-D
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
risin

I just claybar my car and wow it does make the paint as smooth as glass. I followed docs directions. I only put on one coat of z5 and z2. It took maybe 5-6 hrs, not really sure.

Supposedly, the next time i wash it i can just spray on z7 and wipe it off with a towel. I don't have to do the z5 and z2.

Dr. Bonz's Zaino Guide

Bare minimum Zaino products:

Z-6 (two bottles)

Z-2 (one bottle)

Z-5 (one bottle)

ZFX (one bottle)

You can use any mild carwash but the Zaino Z-7 is best. It is pH balanced and cleans very nicely without removing any of your Zaino polish.

Also, nice to have (but not essential) are the Zaino Tire Dressing (Z-16) and the Claybar (Z-18). Zaino makes a nice leather seat product, a plastic cleaner, a window cleaner and several other non-essential products.

Here are the initial steps of the Zaino process (at least how I do them)

-Wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Use a non-scratching wash mit. I use a microfiber mit. Make sure it is completely free of dirt and debris. Make sure your bucket is completely clean too.

-Rinse

-Clay the car with a solution of Z-7 and water. A quart of water and a cap full of Z-7 should do it. I use a clean spray bottle to spray it on the car. Do small sections at a time. Make sure the clay glides over the paint easily and doesn't stick. If it does, spray on more lube solution! Continue to knead the clay to keep a clean fresh surface against the paint. DON'T drop the clay! If you do, toss that bar and get another one.

-Wash with Zaino Z-7 carwash. Do the tires/wheels first and then use a separate bucket of suds to do the rest of the car.

-Rinse. After you are done rinsing with your spray nozzle, remove the nozzle and rinse the car with the stream of water from the hose only (no nozzle, no thumb over the hose). Use the stream of water to "push" off the beads of water. This is a neat trick that will decrease your drying time significantly!

-Dry the car with a microfiber towel. I prefer the waffle weave microfiber towels. I like to use a shop vac to suck out drops of water in tight areas that you can't get with the towels. Make sure you don't touch the car with the vacuum hose.

-Do a Z-6 misting. It's just like using Windex on windows. Just spray on a light mist of Z-6 detailing spray and wipe it off (in). You don't let it dry, just take it right off. I use the Z-6 on all the glass as well. It cleans well and rain zips right off of it.

-Apply your first layer of Z-5 polish. You can add 2-4 drops of ZFX "flash cure" accelerator to ONE OUNCE of polish. If you do this your drying time with be decreased to one hour or less depending on the temperature and humidity. I use 2 if it is very hot and dry and 4 when it is colder and humid. I recommend applying Zaino polish in the shade but it will work fine in the sun as well. It will just dry a lot faster. Take note that the small mixing bottles you get from Zaino with your order are TWO OUNCE bottles so you only fill them half way up (one ounce). One ounce will do the entire car easily. In fact, if you apply the polish thin enough (and thin is the best way to apply it) you can get two layers on the car with one ounce. Zaino shouldn't look like wax on a car. In other words it shouldn't look hazy and white. It should look like the color of your car only a little blurry. If it looks the least bit white, you applied too much.

The other way to go at this point it to not use the ZFX flash cure and just apply the polish to the car. This is fine only it will take a good 6-8 hours to cure on the car and this will limit the number of layers you can get done in a day (or weekend). I often do two layers with the ZFX, and the third one without it. I apply the last one at night and let the car sit in the garage all night and remove it the next day. You can tell if it is ready to remove when you smudge it lightly with your finger and it ALL comes off and leaves a very shiney surface behind. If it is the least bit blurry it isn't ready yet.

The polish goes on with the applicator Zaino sends you. I like to slightly dampen it first with water. It helps to apply it a little smoother and evenly this way. I recommend side to side straight line applications on the horizontal surfaces of the car (hood, roof) and up and down straight lines on the vertical surfaces (doors, quarter panels). Do not use circular motion (swirls) to lessen the chance of scratches and swirl marks.

-Buff off the polish with a microfiber towel.

-Another Z-6 misting

-Repeat another layer of Z-5 (with or without ZFX)

-Buff off

-Z-6 misting

-Final layer using Z-2 this time (with or without ZFX)

-Buff off

-Final Z-6 misting.

This is my method. You don't HAVE to do all three layers nor do you HAVE to do all the prep work (the Dawn and the claybar) but you will get a MUCH better result if you do them. Many feel that the Zaino process is too complicated and involved and want to use "easier" products. It is important to realize that the prep process is NOT exclusive to Zaino. It should be done with ANY product for best results. Also, you don't need to do three layers or even two for that matter. If you want to do just one, go for it!

For maintenance all you need to do is wash with the Z-7 and do a quick Z-6 misting after you dry. This is enough to keep your ride looking great between your BIG detailing sessions.

Good Luck!

The Doc
Old 05-05-2006, 10:19 PM
plumpzz

i like to do Z5 and then Z2. You can finish off with either Z6, Grand Finale (Z8??) or nothing at all. Grand finale gives HOLY smokey finish.. its what gives zaino a super deep look.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 PM
jakesford

here is what i would recommend after talking to a Zaino rep that i buy my stuff through and experience...

If you have never done anything like this to your car i would go ahead and do the claybar, it really does clean the paint surface very well.

-First wash your car with any dish soap, this removes any waxes and grease on your paint.
-Use the zaino clay bar or mother's clay bar kit, it really doesn't matter just follow the directions on the box.
-Rewash the car the same as step one and completely dry the car.

Okay now for a quick explanation. A lot of people recommend the ZFX, the rep that sells the stuff basically told me that he doesn't use it or recommend it even though it cost more. Basically the only time i would use it is if you live in the rain-forest in 100% humidity or if you can't find a day over 50* to wax your car. (ZFX in extreme cases will help the Z2 or Z5 dry faster) The ZFX cost more than Z1 and won't last as long.

Now to start the wax:
-First you will apply a coat of Z1 over the entire body of the car without removing it. Apply with an applicator pad in thin coats! I can't say this enough, with every step of Zaino you use very thin coats! For example i used less than an OZ. of Z1 on my entire car. For one half of the roof i would use like eight drops.
-Let the Z1 dry completely but do not remove. You only have to apply Z1 once. To tell if its dry go to where ever you started and touch it with you finger, if it smears its not dry. It can take an hour or more if the humidity is high or if its cool out to just a few minutes if you're in the sun or its a hot dry day.
-If you have a color that shows swirl marks you can try the Z5, but I've never found it to work that great, I've heard it takes a few coats to start to cover light marks. I've always chose to skip Z5, but you would apply this now, let it dry and remove the dry Z5 and Z1 together or skip to the next step.
-Now the Z1 is dry start to apply the Z2 over the entire car, this is the actual polish that will make your car look amazing. Just apply the Z2 in the same manner as the Z1 directly over the cured Z1. Once again use thin coats!
-Let the Z2 dry, if your finger makes it smear you need to wait.
-Ok remove all the the dry Z2 with a clean cotton terry towel.
-Once you remove all the Z2 take the Z6 spray and lightly mist over an area of the of the car and buff the area you just misted with a fresh clean towel. Repeat until you have done this on all the areas that you waxed.
-Now you can re apply Z2, let it dry, remove, and polish with Z6 as you wish. Always make the Z6 the final thing you do how ever!

Some notes: One, always use high quality terry cotton towels to polish and to remove the wax on each step. I go to bed bath and beyond, or a similar store and buy some nice quality WHITE bath towels. When you get them home cut off any edges that aren't the soft cotton. The towels will start to come apart after you do this but the edges aren't made of cotton and could scratch! Wash and dry the towels at least once to get rid of any lent ect. before using them. I usually buy 3 or 4 towels and they will last me for around a year before they are retired from Zaino duty.

When ever you wash your car use the zaino car wash to protect the wax and if you want to make it really shine you can apply another coat of Z2 and Z6. I always go over my car with a quick coat of Z6 after i wash it and it really makes the shine "pop" even after a couple of months since I've done the initial waxing. If I have the time i will do the Z2 to.

Good luck, it seems intimidating at first because of the multiple steps but it really is easier than the other products out there because the wax goes on really easily!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Art Vandaleigh

I did about 4 coats of Z2/Z5 this weekend plus claybar. It usually takes me 6-7 hours total from initial wash - claybar, wax/buff for around 3 coats. Anywhere from 20-30 min to apply, 30 min to dry using ZFX, and another 20-30 min to buff out. Buffing part is the biggest pain in the ***.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VashZ350
yeah Its worth it

WOW thats all I can say is WOW!!!
gorgeous finish... wanna come do my dually and Excursion????
Old 05-09-2006, 04:32 AM
VashZ350

thanks man!

lOl if you pay me the flight to texas --sure can!

Quick Reply: How long doest it take to Zaino your car?