Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to clean water spot on windows & paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM
hidehide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean water spot on windows & paint?

I have parked my car on street every night. And the watering in the street makes the right side of my car has tons of waterspot..
Today I went to car wash, the water spot cant get out..
Do you guys know what do I need to use to get those water spot out??
Thanks in advance..
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try a light abrasive polish and if that doesn't work, user a heavier polish. If you have no money at the moment, lightly wipe vinegar on it to see it they come out and not etched in the clear.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 10-16-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^ Yup, try a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. That will dissolve most mild water spots.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM
hidehide

Will that harm the paint too? it heard ppl say mix venegar with water for cleaning windows with water spot..
and wt vinegar?? those that we bought in supermarket??
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Will it mess with my zaino layers?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No, the only things that can remove Zaino are alcohol or an abrasive polish.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
SolarOrangeZ

Hell yea, do you think I can mix vinegar with some soap and water and put it in my foam gun, you think that'll help with waterspots?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by SolarOrangeZ
Hell yea, do you think I can mix vinegar with some soap and water and put it in my foam gun, you think that'll help with waterspots?
what kind of foam gun? Those cheaper ones from lowes or walmart? Or the gilbert ones?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Spec_Tacular

I have heavey water spots on the glass of my car. It was like it when I bought it and I have tried an Acid we have at the dealership with very fine steel wool, I have tried glass cleaner with a razor blade and I can't get it off at all.

Does anyone have any idea how to get 3 yr old water spots off?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Yokohamaz

Glass scrub from http://www.properautocare.com will remove them. (on glass of course.) They have other tutorials to remove water spots on paint.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 PM
hidehide

I tried the vinegar route, but I still cant get the water spot away!!

Should I try clay bar??

Last edited by hidehide; 10-20-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Clay bar will remove very light etchings on the painted and glass surfaces. Unless they are very light you will probably need to polish them. Initially we recommend using a medium cutting polish followed by a light finishing polish. The first polish is a medium cutting polish (Menzerna Intensive Polish) that will buff an ultra fine layer of clear coat where the watermarks have etched themselves into. This will also help remove imperfections such as oxidation, fine swirls and light scratches. A medium cutting polish can leave a slight haze behind so we always recommend using a lighter cutting polish after, also known as a finishing polish (Menzerna Final Polish II). These polishes use extremely fine abrasives that will eliminate any haze and make sure the surface is optically clear and glossy. This two-step process will allow more light to pass through the clear coat so you get a deep reflection from your paint. These steps may sound a little intimidating but it’s really very easy to do and yields some pretty amazing results. These results are usually better with a buffer like the Porter Cable 7424.

For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This solution easily removes the etchings and leaves the glass clean and clear.

Let me know if you have any questions about these products or any part of the process.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
aleicgrant

I just discovered a whole bunch of water spots on my 07 Pike Peak White 350. They are only in the hood and unless you look at the right angle not easy to see. But once you catch them its a water spot farm. What light do you guys use to photograph these so I can determine if using the polish routine you mention. I am a little apprehensive about attacking such new paint as the car is an 07 with 1200 miles on it. At first I honestly thought it was a paint defect !!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
I just discovered a whole bunch of water spots on my 07 Pike Peak White 350. They are only in the hood and unless you look at the right angle not easy to see. But once you catch them its a water spot farm. What light do you guys use to photograph these so I can determine if using the polish routine you mention. I am a little apprehensive about attacking such new paint as the car is an 07 with 1200 miles on it. At first I honestly thought it was a paint defect !!!!
yeah, most hard on water spots will be on the hood. Your hood gets hot so water bakes into it. Just polish them out.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
aznriceball2

the plastic on my headlights are foggy, wondering if its water spots and how to get rid of em?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by aznriceball2
the plastic on my headlights are foggy, wondering if its water spots and how to get rid of em?
wetsand them and buff them out. I think you are referring to hazing.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by aznriceball2
That's not water spots. Trust me, you'll know a water spot if you see it. It looks like, well, a spot. For example, if it rains and the water starts to dry, it looks like a bunch of tiny rings all over the car... those are water spots.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by aleicgrant
I can understand that with such a new vehicle you probably didn't want to polish so soon. I always recommend you find the least aggressive solution to any situation. WIthout seeing or expirementing on your paint its hard to know what combination of polishes is needed to remove the watermarks. I'd recommend you start off with a finishing polish and use more aggressive polishes as needed. In my experiences most watermarks need at least a medium cutting polish and sometimes a heavy compounding polish. You can start with just the finishing polish but you may also want to at least pick up a medium cutting polish as well. I'd suggest the Menzerna Intensive Polish (medium) and Final Polish II (finishing) to start with. If you think the marks are deeper or if you can't polish them out I'd suggest the Menzerna Power Gloss (heavy). Even if you use all three of these polishes with an orbital buffer you'll remove a negligible amount of clear coat.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process or the products/tools involved.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Quick Reply: How to clean water spot on windows & paint?