Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What is this Dawn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Taya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this Dawn?

Couple questions as I just made my Zaino order. (Z2, Z5 and Z6) I guess the basic.

1. What is this Dawn everyboady wash the car with?
2. I have 1 coat of turtle, should I remove it or go with Zaino on it
3. I have the Touch of Class on my car - Will Dawn remove it?
4. I planned to use several coats of Z5 until now swirls (in between to have coat of Z6) and then switch to Z2 followed by a Z6... is that a good practice?

Thanks you guys

My Z is a SB and I want it clean!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Moroccan_Mole

dish soap...

it has a high akaline content to remove all other waxes/sealents/etc from the car... use it once when you first want to zaino your car.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
dish soap...

it has a high akaline content to remove all other waxes/sealents/etc from the car... use it once when you first want to zaino your car.
Noooo....

He means to wash the car in the early morning, when the dew is still on it

Seriously, the dish soap. I think he recommends the blue colored Dawn for some reason. Oh, and don't use it to wash the car except when you want to strip stuff off like before your first use of Zaino.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:27 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: What is this Dawn?

Originally posted by Taya
Couple questions as I just made my Zaino order. (Z2, Z5 and Z6) I guess the basic.

1. What is this Dawn everyboady wash the car with?
2. I have 1 coat of turtle, should I remove it or go with Zaino on it
3. I have the Touch of Class on my car - Will Dawn remove it?
4. I planned to use several coats of Z5 until now swirls (in between to have coat of Z6) and then switch to Z2 followed by a Z6... is that a good practice?
1. The others answered it right. Blue Dawn dishwashing detergent, buy it at the grocery store. It removes wax.
2. Remove it with Dawn (see #1)
3. I don't know TOC. If Dawn will remove it, you need to remove it. If Dawn won't remove it, Zaino on top of it.
4. That is a good practice, a good plan. You don't mention claybar. Claybar is not very difficult and a good idea between the Dawn and the first coat of Z5. If you didn't order the Zaino claybar you can buy it at most autoparts stores. You also didn't mention ZFX. You really need ZFX & probably shouldn't start without it. See the tips at www.zainobros.com

My Z is a SB and I want it clean!
Applied properly, Zaino will not disappoint you!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Taya

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, better understanding now. I would do the Dawn no problem but I do want to keep the TOC on my car, what worth a 5 years warranty and so far did good job in keep the paint from scratches and chips, I want to make sure Dawn will not remove it... Any idea's how to make sure about that? maybe I should ask my dealer... TOC is a teflon clear coat the dealer apply to some of us here, they usually charge way too much money but hey isn't it good to maintain a good warranty for that?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

teflon isnt anything good, real teflon can not be applied to a car due to the process it takes to apply it.

meaning teflon is more or less a fancy name that sounds good to people.

with that said, 99% chance zaino is 10x what any coating they put on your car is. and if dawn takes it off, then it was useless to begin with.

lastly, your dealer will never know, you paid for a warrenty. thats all you got. if there truely was a incredable wax that protected your car for 5 years, that can be applied on site with nothing more than a rag, we'd all be usin it... doesnt matter what it costs. but we dont, we use zaino, or black fire, or cg, something, but it aint "teflon".
Old 06-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: Thanks

Thanks guys, better understanding now. I would do the Dawn no problem but I do want to keep the TOC on my car, what worth a 5 years warranty and so far did good job in keep the paint from scratches and chips, I want to make sure Dawn will not remove it... Any idea's how to make sure about that? maybe I should ask my dealer... TOC is a teflon clear coat the dealer apply to some of us here, they usually charge way too much money but hey isn't it good to maintain a good warranty for that?

Dealer applied paint waxes and sealant are huge SCAMS, just intended to make the dealership more money. There is no such thing as teflon coating onto paint, it takes 600+ degrees to bond teflon to bare metal, not going to happen to paint. They put the word Teflon in waxes and sealants just because it sounds cool and impresses the car owner. See here: http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled23.htm

BTW, if you used Turtle wax on top of the dealer sealant, then the sealant is gone as Turtle Wax is a cleaner wax.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Kevin Overall

Default Re: Thanks

Teflon is of no use in a car wax, see here:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled23.htm

BTW, if you used Turtle Wax on top of TOC you removed the TOC as Turtle Wax is a cleaner wax.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Taya

Default Question

Kevin,
Thanks for the information, I just ordered my Zaino stuff so next time I will get from you... What do you mean with Turtle and sealant is gone? should I go back to the dealer about that? Is there something specific with turtle wax making it such a bad product?. I do not care much for the teflon or whatever the TOC sealant is, but I do care about the fact that I both have 5 years warranty and so far more than 6 months, not even one chip (touch wood..). In any case I plan use dawn and than few coats of Z5 to start eliminate the swirls Z6 in between any of them and once happy goto Z2... Hope that the right approach.
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:42 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he just meant that the wax is a cleaner, it removed anything that was on your car in the process of applying itself.

as for not having chips, whatever they did to your car did not affect that. thats just you being careful, getting lucky, whichever, but not that they put some magic sealant on your car thats crystal clear, thin as can be, and can stop a rock goin 60mph or a door from damaging your paint.

as he said, dealer protection packages are a scam, in todays world, your car is not gonna rust in 5 years. if it does, we are ALL in trouble. its probably 500 or more dollars to wash and wax your car basicly. hence why it is one of the most widely known dealer offers known as a scam.

if and when you do get your first chip, I urge you to go to them and have it fixed, chances are theyll use touch up paint, purchasable from courtesy parts.com for I think 6-10$ for a paint pen.