Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Cleaning really bad hard water(?) drip stains on glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Louis21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning really bad hard water(?) drip stains on glass

Hey guys
I'm having a hell of a time trying to clean some hard water stains from my glass. Basically all my windows/windshields came this way from the dealer. It looks almost like someone would have poured water form the top of the car and it dried while it dripped down the glass. It is not like regular rain water spots in which there are literally just spots or drops on the glass, this one is drips running along the windshield/windows from top to bottom.
I would say this is rain, but its just very weird that rain would have dried up as drips, usually in my experience it'll etch up as drops or spots....but not drips all along the glass
You cannot see this while the glass is dry, looks perfect, but as soon as it starts raining and you tun on the wipers, there's this ghosting effect showing all the drips across the entire glass.
I have tried from simple stuff like windex and invissible glass cleaner all the way to the zaino glass cleaner. I must say that with the zaino, I was able to clean my driver's side window to some extent but had to use a lot of elbow grease and pressure..end even then didn't get rid of all the marks especially on the edges cos I guess i was scared of using too much pressure and messing up the painted surfaces. Doing the windshield would be almost impossible considering the amount of effort/ time it took for me to just do a single window, half assed....i would not be able to aply as much pressure to the entire windshield.
Anyone had anything like this/ My friend who bought an altima around the same time I bought my car, but from a different dealer, seems to have the same issue...
I'm wondering if this happens while the car is being shipped here or what but its really annoying and can't seem to get the thing clean...thanx!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

try some vinegar, if that doesnt work ive heard you can use alkzelter that has been dissolved, if not ?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Louis21

Thanx,
Tried vinegar already ..not even a dent.... this is some stubborn stuff! Hadn't heard of the Alka seltzer though...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a glass polish and a machine buffer. Works great.

I found using the glass polish by hand will only cause scratches in the glass. I have used a machine on very old honda's front windshields and it still did the job.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Louis21

Thanks..
I was afraid that would be the only way...guess Im going to have to shell out the bucks for a PC....any clue where i can get one for decently cheap?
Would any buffer work? I have a friend who has some sort of buffer but i think its a de-walt or something like that....
Amazon has the 7336 for 136, and the 7424 for 129 (free shipping)...could i do better?
I remmeber reading the difference was the counterweight or somehting like that...does it really make a difference one over the other?

Last edited by Louis21; 01-29-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I wouldn't polish the glass unless you absolutely have to. I have yet to try but I know it requires a lot of heat and pressure. There is also the potential to leave a haze in the glass so it's not optically clear, when done improperly. I'm not saying don't do it, but make sure you have exhausted other possibilities first. You may even want to call your insurance company first. Often times they'll replace the glass at little to no cost. Insurance companies like their drivers to be able to see through the glass with ease.

There is most likely a lot simpler and easier to use solution with the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This product deep cleans glass and removes very stubborn water marks. I used this on a bay window that got hit with the sprinkler system due to the wind. The sun then baked in the water all day and the glass was extremely hazy, borderline embarrassing to look at. I could feel the water marks with my fingers and I wondered if it would come out. The Glass Scrub removed all the marks no problems. I realize your situation is a little different but this is my "go to" product when it comes to glass care. It's probably well worth the $4.99 to try it regardless. Just apply a nickel sized drop on a wet and clean foam applicator pad and buff the glass with medium pressure. After multiple passes you can rinse the glass and it should be clean. I can't guarantee this will work but again it has fixed so many different glass problems I've experienced. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and let us know what you try and how it works.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Louis21

Thanks Greg.... might give that a shot.
The issue with replacing the glass is that it is in all my windows, literally would have to replace everything. The front windshield is the most annoying one cos I deal with it every time it rains and Im in the car....but they're all messed up..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I wouldn't polish the glass unless you absolutely have to. I have yet to try but I know it requires a lot of heat and pressure. There is also the potential to leave a haze in the glass so it's not optically clear, when done improperly. I'm not saying don't do it, but make sure you have exhausted other possibilities first. You may even want to call your insurance company first. Often times they'll replace the glass at little to no cost. Insurance companies like their drivers to be able to see through the glass with ease.

There is most likely a lot simpler and easier to use solution with the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This product deep cleans glass and removes very stubborn water marks. I used this on a bay window that got hit with the sprinkler system due to the wind. The sun then baked in the water all day and the glass was extremely hazy, borderline embarrassing to look at. I could feel the water marks with my fingers and I wondered if it would come out. The Glass Scrub removed all the marks no problems. I realize your situation is a little different but this is my "go to" product when it comes to glass care. It's probably well worth the $4.99 to try it regardless. Just apply a nickel sized drop on a wet and clean foam applicator pad and buff the glass with medium pressure. After multiple passes you can rinse the glass and it should be clean. I can't guarantee this will work but again it has fixed so many different glass problems I've experienced. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and let us know what you try and how it works.

Greg @ Detailed Image
I agree with this statement, and use it and the rain clear on all of my windows.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM
HKS-Z
Backroad Pro

Use a steel wool or sos pad-DO NOT PRESS HARD-keep it wet the hole time and use a very suddy carwash-worked for me
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 AM
silvaZ32

i have the same problem i think mine is acid rain it is on my windows, and even spots on my door handles. good thing my car is silver.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 AM
plumpzz

Try using acidic wheel cleaner. Some wheel cleaners use an acid and that might be able to disolve the hard water spots. The acid is stronger than the acid in vinegar so it might work a little better.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Try using acidic wheel cleaner. Some wheel cleaners use an acid and that might be able to disolve the hard water spots. The acid is stronger than the acid in vinegar so it might work a little better.
I picture this running down off the windows onto the paint
Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM
plumpzz

thats y you dont let it retard
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
crkextra

I HAD water spots on the Z's glass & paint.........

I used Zaino's Z-AIO All-in-one on the paint AND the glass w/an orbital buffer I bought @ Walmart years ago......the spots came off and I had a base to add some Z-2 to make it shine peeerrrtaaaay........

C.R.