Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino Z1 vs. ZFX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 07:05 PM
bhobson333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Z1 vs. ZFX

I think that there is an incorrect attitude or opinion being spread here. I may be mistaken or I may be missing some knowledge; I'm interested in discussing it.

The understanding I have gotten from several posts I have read recently is that Z1 and ZFX are basically the same except in their cost and the way they are applied. The understanding that I have gotten from Zaino is different; that Z1 is old-tech and obsolete and that ZFX is the new formulation, much better in the results you get. I got this understanding from conversations with Sal and from this quote from the Zaino web page:

Please note: ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive replaces Z-1™ Polish Lok and is superior to Z-1™ Polish Lok. Z-1™ Polish Lok is NOT necessary when using ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive.
Disclaimer: I have never used Z1, I have only used ZFX

Z1: A pre-step to Zaino. It prepares the wax-free clearcoat surface to bond properly with Zaino. You wipe it on, then wipe Z2 or Z5 over it. It is a lot less expensive per unit of volume than ZFX. One benefit is that you can apply Z1 to a small area, for example if you need to strip a spot and build it back up again to recover from a catastrophic mar.

ZFX: Also prepares the wax-free clearcoat surface to bond properly with Zaino, but is instead mixed in with the Z2 or Z5. Much more expensive per unit of volume than Z1, but is used very sparingly, approximately two drops per ounce of Z2 or Z5 (One ounce is approximately one coat on a 350Z). It greatly speeds the drying of Z2/Z5, is not necessary with every coat but is recommended at least once every 5-10 coats after the initial coat (when it is basically required).

When I first got ZFX I was appalled at how much it cost for how much I got. $20 for a little bitty bottle half full. What is it, 3 ml? However, I have used it as recommended, and I am still on my first bottle of ZFX and I have gone through a bottle of Z2 and a bottle of Z5 and I still have almost 1/2 of the ZFX left!

From the Zaino web site:
The vial of ZFX™ inside one of the mixing bottles contained in the ZFX™ package is half full. There is enough ZFX™ for 80 to 100 drops which yields 16-20 ounces of polish!
The reason I started this thread is that I have read several posts recently that push the idea that Z1 is the way to go, that ZFX is just a waste of money, etc. I wanted to counter with the idea that ZFX, although it may seem expensive when you look at the numbers, is not necessarily more expensive to use, and since it is a newer formula it may very well give better results.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:55 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Z1 is also used sparingly. You don't use it for every coat, or even treatment. I've gone through a bottle and a half of Z2, and most of a bottle of Z5, and have most of my original Z1 left, because I use only when it has been quite awhile since I've put anything on.

Zaino's website does say ZFX is superior to Z1, but I'm very happy with my Z1 results, and have been using it for at least a couple of years now on my black GTP, and it looks great to me. I don't think I've read anybody saying ZFX is a waste of money, but I'm not going to buy it when I've already got most of my original Z1 left. If you are buying the basics, and aren't trying to spend more than you have to, Z1 works great.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with bhobson333. ZFX, while more expensive than Z-1 is used VERY sparingly and NOT with every layer. I now have 35 layers of Z-5/Z-2 and I've used the ZFX with every 10th layer roughly. I still have my original ZFX bottle.

On the layers I didn't used the ZFX, I simply let the layer dry on the car overnight.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:12 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure which is better, if one is at all... at the beginning someone(not on here) said he tested the new stuff for sal, and it was actually their decision that the Z1 produced a better shine. I dont know if it was correct, he could have been BSing.

I just use Z1 cause its used less, and half the price. I wax overnight just like bonz. I tried washing, and a full wax, I wanted to pass out when I was done, its nice to break it up.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Kevin Overall

Z-1 and ZFX both chemically activate the Z-2 or the Z-5 and put the polish into a state that makes it bond tighter with the paint, Z-1 is two step, ZFX is one step. Also with Z-1 you do not get the instant curing/multiple coat effect in the same day as you get with ZFX.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Kevin V

Here is the short list of the benefits of ZFX over Z-1 from when it first came out. I've been using Zaino for 5 years and was lucky enough to test out the ZFX for 2 years prior to its release. I use the ZFX with every coat I apply.

(originally from Sal Zaino)

The new Zaino product will be an accelerative additive that can be mixed with Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5....

Below are just a few of the improvements....

1. When mixed as per directions, you will not need to apply Z-1...
2. It will reduce the drying time, thus making the polish more user
friendly in damp environments...
3. It will increase the gloss factor and extend the durability level..
4. It will have an instant cure time, so you can immediately apply
multiple coats.. No more waiting between coats...
5. And more........
Old 07-07-2003, 06:31 PM
rolman

Smile

can someone tell me what the deal is with not using the zaino zfx mix after 24 hours and to just throw it out. i have been using the mix for afew weeks and see no problem/
. i just found out about this lately. enlighten me
Old 07-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Showcars

can someone tell me what the deal is with not using the zaino zfx mix after 24 hours and to just throw it out. i have been using the mix for afew weeks and see no problem
The ZFX starts polymerizing the Z2/Z5, which builds the long molecular chains - this makes Z2/Z5 stronger, and the polish "cures" fast - once it cures in the bottle, it's not going to stick to your car. Only mix as much as you intend to use. That's why you have the small applicator bottles (1/2 bottle should be enough for one coat on a Z). When I have extra polish that has been activated, I polish my stove (works great on porcelain cooktops), the screen of my palm pilot, anything in my house that is chrome or gloss paint (I haven't attacked the toilet yet, but nothing is safe when I'm armed with Z2).
Old 07-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I like those ideas but I don't think I'd do the toilet. I'd be afraid of too many SLIPPING OFF accidents!