Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Waffle Weave Towels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Lento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waffle Weave Towels?

I have heard great things about the waffle weave towels for drying, but I was in my local Autozone yesterday and when I saw it, the way it was stitched looked like it would scratch the paint if I moved it over the surface.

Granted it was autozone brand and it was all frayed and such.

I am thinking about getting one from detailed image but I was just curious if you just "spot dry" with a waffle weave as compared to "swipe dry", and is there a certain type of microfiber towel to use after the waffle weave or will any costco brand microfiber towel work.

also another random question about the Menzerna line of polishes waxes etc.

I recently claybared then used FJM sealant then Poorboys wax on my car

FMJ is awsome and easy to use by hand. So I will definitly be sticking with teh Menzerna line.

Next time I am think I am going to use a filler or polish or something to get the swirls out. The swirls are still relativly light, so I was thinking of just using a filler untill the whole car started to get them, then do a machine heavy polish job instead of risking my new finish this early on in having the car.

My problem is there are about 10 different Menzerna products, and they all seem very similar. If anyone has any experience with them could you give me some advice on what worked and what not. I will be doing this by hand untill I will that Flex in Gregs giveaway

Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have tried a number of different towels for drying. My favorite is the synthetic chamois.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

The best drying towel I have ever used came from Griot's Garage. It does an outstanding job.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rying+towel.do

Les
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

I like using a leaf blower to dry the car, there is no contact w/surface so no chances of extra swirls/scratches/water spots etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
savvy

isn't it weird how chamois need to be drenched with water before they can dry properly?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I think you'll really love our Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels. These towels are extremely thick and super absorbent with the waffle weave pattern. It's also very safe with high quality microfiber threading and silk edges. For a 350Z one towel should be more than enough to thoroughly dry your paint. If you have any other questions please let me know.

I'd be happy to explain more about the Menzerna products as well. Let me know what your goals are and I'll try and provide some good recommendations for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I think you'll really love our Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels. These towels are extremely thick and super absorbent with the waffle weave pattern. It's also very safe with high quality microfiber threading and silk edges. For a 350Z one towel should be more than enough to thoroughly dry your paint. If you have any other questions please let me know.

I'd be happy to explain more about the Menzerna products as well. Let me know what your goals are and I'll try and provide some good recommendations for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thick is good! I have some waffle weave towels from Meguiars and they are too thin. I have to wring them out often. I got a couple of large thick microfiber towels from Target that have actually impressed me. They are called Vroom or something like that. One towel can do my whole car.

Those waffle weave towels from Detailed Image look nice and thick.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Image

Greg @ Detailed Image
+1 for Greg & his waffle weave drying towels.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
1cleanz

i am going to have to pick one or two of them up from detailed image
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Lento

Thanks guys, Looks like I will be grabbing one of those towels from you Greg. I still have a question about their use. Do I spot dry or swipe dry.

For example do you

-set the towel down on a wet area and let it absorb the water (spot dry)

or

-drag over an area (swipe)

I actaully went to target yeterday and saw the Vroom towels. They looked like they were the similiar to the ones from costco, but less towels for more money. I have been using the 36 pack yellow towels from costco that come plastic wrapped. Once I use them all up I just go and buy another pack. I think they are like $20 and one pack lasts me about 10 + washes. I find once you wash them they become a little coarse.

I then use them for the bottom/wheels of my car.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I own a few waffle towels. Can't say I like them very much. They are a bit rough on the car if you ask me. Their absorbing power is not as great as an oversized microfiber drying towel either, if you ask me..

IMO, about 4 large micro fiber towels are all you need to get the car completely dry. I also use my air compressor at 125psi to get all the excess water out of the rim/brake area. It works well...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Lento

Originally Posted by vo7848
I own a few waffle towels. Can't say I like them very much. They are a bit rough on the car if you ask me. Their absorbing power is not as great as an oversized microfiber drying towel either, if you ask me..

IMO, about 4 large micro fiber towels are all you need to get the car completely dry. I also use my air compressor at 125psi to get all the excess water out of the rim/brake area. It works well...
Yea I agree with you, when I saw the weave it did not look very soft. Thats why I was asking of people swipe dry with them because they look like they could do some damage.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
BlueBoxer

I went with the following polishes in addition to the FMJ:

Intensive Polish
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...Polish-IP-P72/

and

Final Polish
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...h-II-FPII-P73/

Seems to be the most common recommendation that everyone is happy with. I went with the Natty Wax as well, but am dying to try the 50/50 wax that Greg recommends:

Looks so perty
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...aste-Wax-P185/
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Lento

^ Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
cavallino33

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
The best drying towel I have ever used came from Griot's Garage. It does an outstanding job.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rying+towel.do

Les
+1 thats what I use they work great
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I haven't had them scratch the car. They just don't feel right when you're rubbing down your car's finely waxed surface. They're too course IMO. The woven edges of the waffle towels also like to get hung up and snagged on the windshield wipers and rear 350Z emblem. And again, they just don't hold as much water as the oversized microfiber drying towels do.
Originally Posted by Lento
Yea I agree with you, when I saw the weave it did not look very soft. Thats why I was asking of people swipe dry with them because they look like they could do some damage.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
BlueBoxer

Griots Garage towels are sweet, I have been tempted to get them for the last year, but my current towels and microfiber are still in tip top shape. I don't really care for their pricing, but I do appreciate them offering premium products for nuts like us. Boars hair brush and their towels are on my birthday list.