Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Settle Time for Glazes and Sealants?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Lento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settle Time for Glazes and Sealants?

I am planning on detailing my car this weekend, and I was curious if there was any need to let the glaze settle (cure) into the paint before I apply the Sealant, and same goes for the sealant and wax.

For example on the back of some quick detailers it says that the full effect of the product will be obtained in X amount of time after application.

Anyone know how long I should or if I should let the glaze settle before adding the sealant? Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 AM
JMT

It depends on what you are using. I tend to follow the manufacturer's directions on their product.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
ZSpectrum

Ive never heard of a glaze settling. Make sure your glaze/ sealant will work together. What products are you using.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Lento

Sorry for the vagueness,

I am using Menzerna products Glaze, FMJ. and Poorboys Wax I am doing the application all by hand.

Yea I know the polish probably wont work very well by, but its better than something over the counter.

I havent seen any time to wait before applying something over the product in directions. Sometimes they have in there how long to wait before buffing off, but I just want to make sure Im not wasting my time or products.

The reason I ask this is becuase I have seen threads where people say they applied a coat, came back 5 hours later, and applied something else or another coat
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Set to a haze...15 mins or so.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

With most glazes there is no cure time, so you can basically go right to applying the next step. Sealants can vary with their cure time. Ideally I would wait 12 - 24 hours in between coats for it to fully harden. If you need to complete the detail sooner I would recommend waiting at least one hour in between multiple coats or a top coat of wax. Waxes generally need at least a half hour to cure and sometimes more. Also just to remind everyone what we mean by cure. I typically buff these products on and then wait about 10 - 15 minutes before removing the excess product. At that point the product or coating is really starting to cure.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Lento

Greg that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!'

If I wait 12 -24 hours to apply wax over the sealant should I spray down the car with quick detailer take off any dust that may have accumulated? Or will this remove the sealant?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
BlueBoxer

The quick detailer will not remove the sealant, but I would recommend rinsing the vehicle off anytime you take a break inbetween your detailing steps. I have allowed the FJM to cure for about six hours inbetween coats or wax and have had good results, but when possible I just try to get the first coat on early in the day and apply the second coat later that evening. Allow the second coat to cure all night and finish it up with a quick rinse in the morning and your choice of wax. The glaze doesn't need to cure for any longer than the above recommended times, allow to haze and remove.

P.S. Greg, the rethickulous towels are great, I have mainly used the Dragon Fibre, but really liked the towels.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Lento
Greg that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!'

If I wait 12 -24 hours to apply wax over the sealant should I spray down the car with quick detailer take off any dust that may have accumulated? Or will this remove the sealant?
Yes you can use a quick detailer to remove any dust, etc. Spray a light mist on your vehicle or on a microfiber cloth and lightly wipe the surface. The Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe is my product of choice for this part of the process.

Originally Posted by BlueBoxer
The quick detailer will not remove the sealant, but I would recommend rinsing the vehicle off anytime you take a break inbetween your detailing steps. I have allowed the FJM to cure for about six hours inbetween coats or wax and have had good results, but when possible I just try to get the first coat on early in the day and apply the second coat later that evening. Allow the second coat to cure all night and finish it up with a quick rinse in the morning and your choice of wax. The glaze doesn't need to cure for any longer than the above recommended times, allow to haze and remove.

P.S. Greg, the rethickulous towels are great, I have mainly used the Dragon Fibre, but really liked the towels.
Glad to hear you like the reTHICKulous microfiber towels. They are unbelievably thick and plush, which I find perfect for removing a wax or sealant. I also use them around the home on my new TV, laptop and PS3.

Greg @ Detailed Image