Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Porter Cable VS Rotary

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 PM
CKY881
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porter Cable VS Rotary

Hi, i'm thinking of buying some polishing equipment, but I'm not familiar with them. I'd like to know what the difference between the porter cable and rotary, preferably the pro's and con's. Thanks for helping!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are many threads regarding this. Check with Greg @ DetailedImage. He will definitely give you some insight on the porter cabel vs the rotary. In a nutshell, if you're new to the "detailing scene", rotary is completely out of the quesiton.

Check this place out as well: http://www.detailuniversity.com/ for some great reviews and tips.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Don @ Migliore
Vendor - Former Vendor

Exactly! If you question the difference between a rotary and PC, you should be using the PC. The rotary is for experienced detailers as it generates much more heat output.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

The Porter Cable 7424 is an orbital buffer that poses almost no risk of burning your paint. It is very safe and easy to use and helps remove imperfections in the surface. This buffer offers significantly more power than a generic orbital so you can remove more imperfections in the surface and restore a deeper gloss.

Rotary buffers are the highest level of buffers for detailing purposes. They can remove the most imperfections on the surface but also take quite a bit of time to master. If you want to purchase this buffer just make sure you have lots of time to practice so you do not burn the paint.

A good inbetween buffer is the Flex XC 3401 VRG because it's quite safe like the Porter Cable 7424 but it has a lot more cutting power. This helps it remove far more imperfections than the PC 7424 and almost as much as a rotary. It's a high quality tool that a lot of professional detailers and enthusiasts like to use.

We are running a special on these buffers during the holiday week coming up so it's the absolute best time to buy. If you would like more details about any of these buffers or anything related to detailing please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
CKY881
Banned

What is the difference between polishing and waxing?

Also, I heard the pads on the porter cable aren't good quality, and i should consider getting aftermarket ones. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Last edited by CKY881; 11-24-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lake Country makes nice pads for the pc.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by CKY881
What is the difference between polishing and waxing?

Also, I heard the pads on the porter cable aren't good quality, and i should consider getting aftermarket ones. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Polishing and waxing are two totally different steps in the detailing process. Basically polishes can help you correct the surface to remove fine swirls and haze. This is the step where you can restore an optically clear surface and restore the deepest shine to the surface. A buffer really helps maximize a polish because they need to be worked in to the surface with more heat and pressure.

Waxing can only enhance what the surface already looks like. Waxes provide strong protection for about 2 - 6 weeks, generally much closer to two weeks. The other option you have for more durable protection is a sealant. They last more like 3 - 6 weeks and can be used with a buffer no problem. I really like the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 (personal favorite) or the Chemical Guys M-Seal for the best value. Let me know if you have any other questions about these products.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
CKY881
Banned

Can the porter cable or any other buffers be used for polish as well?
Do you guys know any websites that are dedicated to car detailing where I can learn all about it and perhaps a few tricks? I wanna get into it first and figure out what I want to do in terms of detailing before purchasing equipments.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out detailed images site from post above. Good info there & their a sponsor.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by CKY881
Can the porter cable or any other buffers be used for polish as well?
Do you guys know any websites that are dedicated to car detailing where I can learn all about it and perhaps a few tricks? I wanna get into it first and figure out what I want to do in terms of detailing before purchasing equipments.
I am the co-owner of www.DetailedImage.com and we have a wealth of information our website and our detailing forum www.detailluniversity.com. On our site I highly recommend you read our Detailing Guide. There are step by step instructions on there for each step in the process. If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to help you as well.

All the buffers I listed above are designed to apply virtually all of the liquid based products for your exterior. Some carnauba waxes come in the paste wax form (hard) and they need to be hand applied, otherwise the buffer should work. Some low speed buffers are not really effective for polishing but they can spread a glaze, sealant or wax just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
CKY881
Banned

Greg, what's the pros and cons of 6.5" vs. 4" pads? I was on your website and it states the benefits of 4" pads, but never 6.5".

Also, will you guys be having discounts for Thanksgiving on the pads and/or backing plate or is it only the items on ur ad?

Last edited by CKY881; 11-27-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Both work great and have very comparable results. A bigger factor will be which buffer and what pad you select. However I certainly understand you want to select the right one. Assuming you are not using a rotary buffer here are some differences. The 4" pads generally give you more cutting power, control while being able to easier to use in tight spaces. The 6.5" pads allow you to cover more area and can apply a glaze, sealant or wax faster in my experiences.

Our current sale offers 25% OFF on virtually all individual items including pads, backing plates, etc.. We also have specials on our buffers and other items. There is free shipping on orders over $150 and $5 flat rate shipping on orders under $150. This is our biggest sale ever so now is the best time to buy! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can provide more specifics.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
CKY881
Banned

Hi Greg, are the prices listed already 25% off? Thx
Old 11-27-2008, 03:45 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I think have have to enter the "holiday08" coupon code at the checkout screen
Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
CKY881
Banned

Thanks. Works like a charm!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

The buffers and daily special items will already be discounted, otherwise you'll need to enter the coupon code upon checkout and click redeem. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image