Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Teflon or Carnauba

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:18 AM
TommyBoy76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Teflon or Carnauba

What in your oppinions is best for our clear coat finishes?
I've definitely decided that I'm going the McGuires route and I want something very reflective. Should I go "Gold Class" or just regular yellow Carnauba??

Thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 06:17 AM
cincyspider

Zaino!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:25 AM
TommyBoy76

That wasn't my question.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Zaino is more reflective than anything you an buy at Autozone or Wal-mart. It actually builds up over time, where Carnuba and other waxes wear off, or melt odd with the sun and weather conditions, so to speak. You will find alot of people who love Zaino in this forum, because it is good stuff.

If you have to go with a store bought product, I heard good things about Mothers, and I have personally used Meguires Gold Class before I found Zaino, and they are both good products...
Old 11-17-2003, 08:27 AM
gooters

I use Meguires pure caranuba. I dont know anything about Gold Class, but have never had a problem with the caranuba. I always take my bottle with me when I wash my car. If I notice the water isnt beading well on a part of the car...I wax it, doesnt take too long and looks good imo.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:38 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont get too many good responses here because well, simply put we are all car snobs, and as such we use only the best. I.E. polymer waxes like zaino, blackfire, or crystal gaurd.

caranuba is fine for everyone else, but if you know there is something better why not use it?

anyway to somewhat answer your question teflon is nothing but a marketing term, true teflon must be baked onto the surface at high temps. not realistic for application by hand to a painted surface. meguires makes a good caranuba wax (I beleive they also make a polymer type, but not quite as easy to find, and no cheaper than zaino)
Old 11-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Drumtemp

I've used the Gold Class and I like it a lot . However, I went the whole route with the multi-step process beginning with Dawn, claybar, pre-wax, etc. Doing ALL that really does make a difference.

My Z received the teflon treatment from the dealer--looks nice, BUT having recently discovered a new web site (search: Nissan touch of class) on the TOC treatment and their claim of helping dealers reap BIG profits, I'm having major 2nd thoughts.

If you go with the Gold Class, use the pre-wax and polish as well--it'll give you that wet look, IMO.

Next up for me is to give the Zaino products a try.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:28 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by Drumtemp
I've used the Gold Class and I like it a lot . However, I went the whole route with the multi-step process beginning with Dawn, claybar, pre-wax, etc. Doing ALL that really does make a difference.

My Z received the teflon treatment from the dealer--looks nice, BUT having recently discovered a new web site (search: Nissan touch of class) on the TOC treatment and their claim of helping dealers reap BIG profits, I'm having major 2nd thoughts.

If you go with the Gold Class, use the pre-wax and polish as well--it'll give you that wet look, IMO.

Next up for me is to give the Zaino products a try.
A side note, Meguiars has discontinued the Gold Class Pre Wax (or what ever it was called)
Old 11-18-2003, 11:09 AM
SizongZ

Since you have a dark car you can use the Yellow wax first just for more luster and then top it with the gold wax for the shine. That's what I do with my Brickyard.
But I personally only put a very thing coat of the Gold. I'm not into the wet look to much. I go for more of the mirror look.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:27 AM
TommyBoy76

Thanks Sizong.....I will probably be doing a double layer. However, I read on www.properautocare.com that its necessary to first apply a synthetic layer and finish with a layer of Yellow Carnauba. They also speak highly of "Blackfire" I hear they make an exellent super synthetic polymer wax that incorporates the benefits of Carnauba asweell. Anyone experience the benefits of this product yet??
Old 11-18-2003, 04:20 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Teflon

Ares is right. Using Teflon in a wax is just a marketing ploy. Teflon can't really stick to the surface unless it is baked on or mechanically bonded on. Adding little bits of teflon to a normal wax probably does nothing but dilutes the wax.

Carnuba has a mystique to it, but it is not the hardest or longest lasting wax around. I personally find it annoying to apply since it get gummy or sticky when you buff it off.

If you want to go cheap, Rain Dance synthetic is pretty damn good for a readily available brand.

For my Z I am joining the cult of Zaino.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:40 AM
FlaPhil

Originally posted by TommyBoy76
Thanks Sizong.....I will probably be doing a double layer. However, I read on www.properautocare.com that its necessary to first apply a synthetic layer and finish with a layer of Yellow Carnauba. They also speak highly of "Blackfire" I hear they make an exellent super synthetic polymer wax that incorporates the benefits of Carnauba asweell. Anyone experience the benefits of this product yet??
I use BlackFire on my SuperBlack and absolutely love it! It has a great shine like the polymers (Zaino) but gives a really slick, wet-look finish like a carnauba. I used to use carnaubas exclusively, but didn't like the way the water beaded and sat on the car. With BlackFire, the water beads, but when you start moving, it blows right off. In a few blocks the car is dry.

I highly recommend the BlackFire. I use the Gloss Enhancing Polish, All Finish Paint Protection, and detail in between applications with the Deep Gloss Spray.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:45 AM
TommyBoy76

Good stuff FlaPhil.....After doing a little research, Blackfire seems to have all the characteristics I'll need for my Super Black. Depth and shine as well as protecting . There's not much more I can ask for!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:28 AM
FlaPhil

You'll like the BlackFire.

BTW - I like your avatar