Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Teflon or Carnauba?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:23 AM
TommyBoy76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Teflon or Carnauba?

Hi guys. What in your opinion is best for our clear coat finishes. I've decided that I'm going the Mcguires route. I love their products. Should I go with "Gold Class" or just regular yellow Carnauba. Please let me know. I currently already have the Teflon "paint sealer" from the dealer on my car.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Kevin Overall

Oh boy not Teflon talk again

Teflon is useless in a car wax or polish, do a search, you will find out, we have hashed and rehashed that subject over and over on this site. (see article below)

Also, Gold Class is not a Teflon, its some sort of synthetic based wax. BTW, its Meguiars on the spelling.

Basically, your choices are carnauba or synthetic based products. Mind you, carnauba waxes are kinda misleading to the novice, most all carnauba waxes of today are only 4 to 5% actual carnauba wax, the rest of the product is carriers, fillers, and oils like silicone that do most of the paint protecting.

Article:

Although TeflonŽ is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a TeflonŽ flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of TeflonŽ fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain TeflonŽ, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless TeflonŽ is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." This
is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive. TeflonŽ is a registered trademark of Dupont.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:52 AM
TommyBoy76

Thank you Kevin. I guess I'll be going "Gold Class" as I have been on my previous cars. Anyone else here used Gold Class??
Old 11-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Michael-Dallas

I do and honestly, I really can't tell the difference in shine between Meguiar's Gold Class and the $4 Meguiar's cleaner wax (in the red container). My cars shine w/ Meguiar's cleaner wax and they shine w/ Meguiar's Gold Class. I stopped using the cleaner wax mostly because Gold Class was easier to find at stores.

Michael.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Must............hold...................back! Can't................give.........in!

Urge...........toooo.........strong...................

AhhhhhhHHH.................ZAAAAAAAINNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Vrm_Vrm

Meguiars is a very popular wax due to its availability, but you may wish to consider other brands that last longer. The Wax Test (performed by the Guru Reports) gave Meguiars only an average durability and shine rating. If you like the way the Meguiars is applied, you may wish to try P21s carnauba. Zaino and Klasse are also exceptional products, but their appication methods are slightly different.

To summarize, don't just judge your wax by how it looks right after you apply, but consider how long it will last on your car and how well it will protect.

Oh, and sadly, the teflon myth is just a myth. Sorry about that. Keven O was spot on.