Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Poymer Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 06:17 PM
cgrosby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polymer Sealant

I recently purchased at the Miami Auto Show a product called: Total Finish Protection (TFP) that claims to be a Polymer Sealant with Free Amines. It says on the bottle that it provides poly-shield protection with teflon.

As a long time AACA member and owner of several show cars, I can honestly recommend this product. I've used Griots "Best of Show Carnuba Wax, Meguires, etc.. and this stuff is far better. It's easy to apply and best of all does not leave any residue on chrome, rubber, glass, plastic, etc...In fact it works great at minimizing the front wheel brake dust problem, because nothing sticks to it. It also is terrific on the windows. Water just beads up and rolls off. Much better than RainX. My car stays cleaner during the week, and isn't that the point of car care. Keeping your paint looking new. One application takes about an hour. I noticed that when I wash the car the water does not bead up but rolls off the car in sheets. I guess you could say its' like, you know the stuff for the dishwasher, when they say it has "sheeting action". Which really helps speed up drying, which eliminates spots. I know, its hard not to love the look when a frshly waxed car beads up, but I'm convinced that it's actually bad for a car's finish. The beads of water act like miniture magnifying glasses and that's what contributes to the water spots, because the high temperture in Florida evaporates the water so fast that all that is left is the mineral deposits, which is why it's such a pain to remove the water spots. Because it just bonded with the clearcoat. That's bad!!!

I am not a rep and I don't sell it. I just want to let fellow z enthusiats know that there are other great products on the market that don't take hours to apply or that need 3 coats to work, and will last 3-4 months. I'm told its not available in auto stores either, only by mail order. I am very impressed with this product and I am very fussy about keeping my car clean, just ask my family.

Last edited by cgrosby; 11-18-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:00 PM
never2old

Do they have a web site
Old 11-19-2003, 04:38 AM
Vrm_Vrm

I'm not questioning the validity of your claim, but I must admit that I've heard a lot about Teflon in automotive products lately, and I just don't get it. I mean, I got this quote from the Teflon/DuPont site: Due to the substrate preparation, baking/layering/spraying application and curing process that is required to apply DuPont non-stick coatings to cookware and household appliances, DuPont is not able to manufacture a "spray on" Teflon® coating."

So if there's no baking or curing process, isn't that "Teflon added" moniker just selling snake oil?

Any chemists out there that can help clear this up? I haven't heard back from DuPont yet.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:31 AM
FlaPhil

I remember years ago when Teflon came out on frying pans, the car wax industry jumped on it too. Teflon finishes were having flames and other damaging things thrown at it to prove it's validity. Since then, you never hear about it anymore. I remember hearing something about Teflon either being the snake oil you mentioned or actually being harmful to clearcoated surfaces. Either way, I'm sticking with my BlackFire. It is a polymer and I love the look.