Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiar's DA Microfiber Kit Review - 2004 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 07:42 AM
Threads

Default Meguiar's DA Microfiber Kit Review - 2004 Mustang GT

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to detail a 2004 Mustang GT. Unfortunately, I was unable to take as many pictures as I would have liked because of time constraints, but I still managed to take some decent shots even with the iPhone camera.

Plan of Action

- I really wanted to get a "base" time to see how long it would take just using the system.

Before Shots - As received from the customer

- Car looks clean from a distance, but we'll see later that the paint if full of imperfections and has a lack of "pop" to it.

- Front bumper and hood scoop were in bad shape. There wasn't much I could do.

- Swirls on the roof

Progress

- The clay bar "bled" a lot. I'm unsure if this is normal with the more coarse clay bars, but it was a little annoying to clean up.

- If you can tell from the crappy picture, I taped off a section of the hood. Top half (front) of the hood remained untouched, while the bottom (back) of the hood had compound applied.

- Here is a better picture of the imperfections I was referencing early. The car was covered with these pesky swirl marks.

- Same swirls, different lighting

- Compound applied. Similar results were achieved throughout the entire vehicle. Most swirls were removed, and some deeper scratches remained. Since time was an issue, I didn't address the deeper imperfections.

Finished Results

- Roof again

- Here is a great picture of the "pop" back into the paint. It's amazing how much more blue the car appeared.

Overall, I feel like the Meguiar's system is very efficient at removing light swirls. I really did enjoy using the microfiber pads instead of the more traditional foam pads. No pad saturation, no product sling, and REALLY EASY cleanup. As stated above, deeper imperfections remained. If time allowed, I would have brought out a stronger compound/pad to handle those imperfections accordingly. As far as the wax, I can't really comment on the durability yet. Supposedly, the wax contains a polymer blend so it should hold up pretty well. As you can see, it really brought the blue out on the vehicle.

I would really love to start detailing more on the side, and I am hoping these pictures could help me sell my services. I still have ton to learn, so if anyone has questions or feedback please let me know! Thanks for looking
Old 05-30-2011 | 08:34 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Wow great write up... I'm more of a Griot's guy myself though but non the less I enjoyed reading it.
Old 05-30-2011 | 09:58 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic
Premier Member

nice job, good to see that it got the "rust" off the mustang. jk
Old 05-30-2011 | 10:33 AM
BrickyardZ2003

Very nice work! That blue definitely popped afterwards. Having a friend hook me up with a full detail like that at the dealership, and I can't WAIT to see how my Brickyard looks with some more POP!
Old 05-30-2011 | 12:09 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Wow great write up... I'm more of a Griot's guy myself though but non the less I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks. If I took a picture of my "arsenal", I am definitely a Poor Boy's guy. I was a little apprehensive on using something so mainstream as Meguiar's (Except M105), but after seeing some demonstrations I was sold.

Originally Posted by ImWeeZzel
nice job, good to see that it got the "rust" off the mustang. jk
Haha, thanks. Needless to say, my Z was a little mad when it had to move out of the garage for a domestic.

Originally Posted by BrickyardZ2003
Very nice work! That blue definitely popped afterwards. Having a friend hook me up with a full detail like that at the dealership, and I can't WAIT to see how my Brickyard looks with some more POP!
Thanks for the compliment, and I hope your car yields similar results!
Old 05-30-2011 | 12:48 PM
dkmesa350z

nice work! But gosh does that lifted Mustang need more to look good haha
Old 05-30-2011 | 01:06 PM
BrickyardZ2003

Originally Posted by Threads
Haha, thanks. Needless to say, my Z was a little mad when it had to move out of the garage for a domestic.

Thanks for the compliment, and I hope your car yields similar results!
No problem! Can't wait to see how she turns out. I have some bug-guts that look like they MAY not come out, which makes me nervous. If that's the case, my hood will be getting repainted from Nissan. I had to laugh when you moved the Z for a Mustang. I sold my Stang to pick up my Z!
Old 05-31-2011 | 06:43 AM
NZMOWND

damn is that a special edition lifted stang or what lol if you dont mind me asking how much did u pay for all the supplies to do this job? It looks very clean afterwards!
Old 05-31-2011 | 06:48 AM
AroundMyHorn

Is this the new mustang truck? Holy fking wheelgap batman!

Nice job on the detail man.
Old 05-31-2011 | 07:23 AM
NissanZ03

that came out really well...I have to do this to my car when I come across some free time
Old 05-31-2011 | 07:30 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
nice work! But gosh does that lifted Mustang need more to look good haha
Originally Posted by NZMOWND
damn is that a special edition lifted stang or what lol
Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Is this the new mustang truck? Holy fking wheelgap batman!

Nice job on the detail man.
Haha. Trust me, I give the owner crap about it weekly. I think I am slowly convincing him to get a 1" drop.

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
if you dont mind me asking how much did u pay for all the supplies to do this job? It looks very clean afterwards!
I believe it was $90 for the Meguiar's DA Kit. $130 or so (not sure what they go for now) for the Porter Cable. Then add in the price for the wash, towels, and clay and lube. I used some other misc. materials like Black on Black, tire shine, pad cleaner, etc...
Old 05-31-2011 | 04:35 PM
User 42426

assuming you do the two bucket method to wash your car, and daily driving, how long would this detail last before you see swirls and lack of "pop" again? Ive never detailed my car since I bought it in 2008.
Old 06-02-2011 | 06:06 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by stevehl
assuming you do the two bucket method to wash your car, and daily driving, how long would this detail last before you see swirls and lack of "pop" again? Ive never detailed my car since I bought it in 2008.
This is a general schedule most daily driven cars should follow:

Every 1-2 weeks: Wash
Every 3 months: Wax (optional)
Every 6 months: Sealant and Clay
Every 12 months: Inspect Paint for Correction

Ideally, you shouldn't have to apply compound to the vehicle more than once a year.
Old 06-11-2011 | 04:35 PM
ride5150

heard great things about this kit