Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Black Plastic Protectant + Wax Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
IllumEstVeritas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Plastic Protectant + Wax Questions

I have a couple questions:

1. The black plastic bits on the exterior of cars. I know there are plenty of products to restore them to black, but what's a good product to treat them with now that will keep them clean and looking black? I have some Mother's Back to Black but is that worth using now?

2. I have a silver car and am wondering what a good finishing product would be. I'm going to use a two-step Klasse product(red and silver bottles) as a base/sealant. Am I better off sticking with Meguiar's #26 as my finisher, or is there a better wax/sealer that will make it shine and maybe add some depth?

Oh... last question - Meguiar's Gold Carnuba Plus - does it contain abrasives that will remove my base?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??You've been a member since 04 and you have not figured out the "best" stuff for your car?
WOW!
At any rate,when it comes to waxes/polish,everyone has a favorite that they swear by.
IMO,just because its a boutique type product with a heavy price tag,does not make it
good.Some of it depends if you garage your car or,its out in the elements.I've used
ColorMagic on my 03 Touring since I bought it going on 10 years ago.My car looks new.
But,I garage it.Concerning a BLACK stuff protectorant,I have the winner!
I've used just about every product over the years.The best hands down is AUTO GLYM
VINYL&RUBBER CARE.Use it on all things plastic,rubber..inside/outside...on the engine etc.What sets this product apart are two things:
Lasts forever
NO oily residue like Armour All etc.
This stuff is fantastic!I also use AUTO GLYM CAR wash.I imagine their waxes are
the same high quality.
Cannot go wrong with AUTO GLYM(made in the UK).

Last edited by JCITY; 05-20-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM
dkmesa350z

I think Aerospace Protectant 303 will add some protection and keep the color in the trim.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure over the past 8 years you have experimented with various products. I know of no miracle product for plastic.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
IllumEstVeritas

Yes... I've tried plenty of items between then and now, but that doesn't mean that I cannot find good advice from the cleaning & detailing section of this forum. If you're not willing to ask.....

Anyways, I've tried plenty of products and since this is a new car I figured I'd look into some different ways. I still prefer the Klasse underneath, but as a finishing product I'm not sure where to look next.

They have a great deal on SurfCity stuff right now that might happen. I could go back to Blackfire products, or maybe even pick up some Pinnacle Souveran. I'll stay away from Zaino though - I've used enough of that to know that I wasn't happy with the way it worked.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv

I am sure over the past 8 years you have experimented with various products. I know of no miracle product for plastic.
try (per my post)Auto Glym.
don't know whats in it...it sure works.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
IllumEstVeritas

Originally Posted by JCITY
try (per my post)Auto Glym.
don't know whats in it...it sure works.
I was looking at their HD Wax since it's on clearance over at the local Pepboys. I'll have to see about their other products. Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experiences, the Mother's Back to Black works if you put "a few coats" on. Basically walk around the car and apply, then go over it again, possibly a third time. It looks good for a little while, but after a couple rain storms/ washes it will need to be reapplied...pain in the butt sometimes but what can you do, like Davidv said I too don't know of a miracle plastic product.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

areospace 303 is amazing stuff if you can find it.. its a very fine covering.. very smooth... truly a fantastic product for the interior.

As for the exterior black parts, i believe thier natural finish looks best, and that can be had with rubber CLEANER versus a coating.. and thats going to be your Meguairs Vinyl and Rubber cleaner 40 in the tan bottle. Good for tires as well.. looks like armorall as its applied, but leaves nothing much behind.. light shine, but only from being clean versus being covered in a silicone oil slick.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
I think Aerospace Protectant 303 will add some protection and keep the color in the trim.
Originally Posted by bmccann101
areospace 303 is amazing stuff if you can find it.. its a very fine covering.. very smooth... truly a fantastic product for the interior.
+1 to areospace 303... bought a gallon of that $hit for $70+ bux cause I'z love it so much. 5 yrs later, my interior is still showroom flawless
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

IllumEstVertas, all products for treating the black vinyl and rubber parts on a car are a blend of glycerin, silicone, mineral oils, plus maybe some eye-of-newt, toe-of-frog etc. The main difference is in the liquid carrier, which will be either water based or solvent based. The water based carrier helps spread out the product and clean the rubber, leaving the glycerin etc on the surface of the rubber looking nice and glossy. As it is not actually bonded to the rubber it will dissipate after a short while, leaving the rubber cleaner, but back to its natural state. The solvents in the solvent based carrier products penetrate into the rubber opening up pores that allow the glycerin etc to sink in and stay in place longer. BUT, this is like crack-cocaine because these solvents break down and dry out the vinyl and rubber leaving them shabby looking when the glycerin etc evaporate. You reapply more product to regain the black luster, but the solvents open up and crack the rubber more. This becomes your life on drugs! Read the label or look up the product fact sheet and stick with the water-based products.

As to your wax question, multiple coats of wax quickly run up against the law-of-diminishing returns. Car wax, whether natural carnauba based, or synthetic polymer based, stick to the paint with an ionic and physical bond. Holding tight to the paint they present a slick, slippery surface to the world. The second coat can’t actually stick to the slippery surface of the first coat.

My Z is my DD and during the winter I’m mostly unable to wash or clean the paint. So in November I try to get as much wax on as I can. A technique my dad taught me was to first apply a polymer based paint sealant (like the Klasse you are using) followed up with a pure carnauba paste wax. A natural wax will bond to a synthetic better than second synthetic product.

After applying the paint sealant, I drive around for a few days to let the sealant weather a bit, If it gets dirty and I have to wash it even better. The natural carnauba wax will now get a bit of a bite on the slightly weathered synthetic. In theory this will give you the elusive deeper warmer shine of the carnauba plus the superior protection of the polymer sealant. I’m just hopping to have enough wax protection to get through the winter. Although I’m interested in the science of this stuff, my eye can’t tell the difference in shine between the various waxes.

The Meguiar’s #26 and the Meguiar’s Gold Carnauba Plus are both basically the same thing. One is in the professional product line and the other is packaged as a consumer product. Although excellent waxes, they are not what you want for this purpose. They are the kitchen sink of waxes containing a witches brew of some carnauba, some silicones, some polymers etc. Use a pure Carnauba. If you can afford the Pinnacle Sovereign you mentioned, you are one Baller gentleman. My dad treasured that stuff. Most of his business was making parts for antique car restorers, but when he wanted to be, he was an excellent painter. Especially with the lacquer paints used on these old treasures, and he always finished them off with Pinnacle.

In my opinion you are already maxing out the shine potential by using a polish before waxing. If you are determined to turn it up a notch, try adding a pure glaze product after polishing but before waxing. My dad had a huge collection of Meguiar’s professional polishes and I saved some #9 polish and some #7 Show Car glaze. I hand polish out the odd swirl or rough spot and when I finish up the polish job with some glaze, it improves the shine noticeably.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM
IllumEstVeritas

Thanks - I'll try to keep up the cleaning on the plastic bits. I never did pay attention much with my other work vehicle, but when you start enjoying the car you drive it definitely makes a difference. I've been looking at Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, but it doesn't have a list of the materials. Perhaps I'll call up the manufacturer and find out about it's base.

I'm with you on Meguiar's - I've never been a fan, but I've also shied away from actual waxes for the last few years. I've been mainly on sealants. That begs the question about going back to wax and enjoying it. Now it's a matter of being tempted by Pinnacle, or going back to Blackfire....

Blackfire Polish, Blackfire All-Finish, then their carnuba product
OR
Klasse AIO, Klasse Glaze(I don't like it's drying qualities - it's a bear to remove), then Pinnacle.

Perhaps Pinnacle since it'll save me some money. (already own Klasse)