Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Promotion at Meguiar's Online for Porter Cable Polisher Kit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Promotion at Meguiar's Online for Porter Cable Polisher Kit.

Thought I would give you guys a heads up.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2544

Seems to be a great price, plus you get a lifetime warranty. All you have to do is register, its for "members" only.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:23 AM
mrZeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes Its a great deal...lifetime warranty...d@mn I wish I was a bit more patient...anybody wanna a buy a slightly used PC 7242/7336 with two backing plates..
Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Kevin Overall

Its an OK deal, the unit is 109.00 every day at Lowes and you can pick up a velcro backer plate for about 10 bucks and a foam pad to go on it for 7 to 10 bucks....
Old 09-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Gigi

You, could also go to CoastalTool.com and get the " Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher 7424 " w/ Bouns kit" for $119.00. It includes a 6" Contour Backing Pad, a 6" Foam Polishing Pad and a 6" Counterwight needed for the 6" pads. ( Coastal does not sell the pads).

Then go to "Autopia.com" and get the Sonus Dual-Action system foam pads kit for $59.95. It includes numerous pads for different jobs on the finish, all of which can be placed back in the zip-lock bag until you need them again.

I personally use the 6" counterweight with the 6" contour backing pad #54745, provided by "Coastaltool" . It's wider and feels more supportive than the one that comes with the Sonus kit. The Sonus foam pads attach to the Coastal backing pad.

Autopia, also sells the microfiber concourse Finishing Bonnet in a package of two for $7.75., they fit the Coastal foam polishing pad that's provided in the kit perfectly.

I went to Lowes and could not find the 7424. I got it from Coastal in one day. I love it and it works great! IMHO...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:53 PM
mrZeee

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
Its an OK deal, the unit is 109.00 every day at Lowes and you can pick up a velcro backer plate for about 10 bucks and a foam pad to go on it for 7 to 10 bucks....
ok deal?? even tho I know people who have had their PC for many years (hard, daily use- for sanding, not polishing even,)...Lifetime warranty is what makes it a great deal..and I think megiuars is pretty good about hassle free returns..

I too have the kit from coastal...but got an additional backing plate and three pads from megs for $32 and change
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by Gigi
You, could also go to CoastalTool.com and get the " Porter Cable Random Orbit Polisher 7424 " w/ Bouns kit" for $119.00. It includes a 6" Contour Backing Pad, a 6" Foam Polishing Pad and a 6" Counterwight needed for the 6" pads. ( Coastal does not sell the pads).

Then go to "Autopia.com" and get the Sonus Dual-Action system foam pads kit for $59.95. It includes numerous pads for different jobs on the finish, all of which can be placed back in the zip-lock bag until you need them again.

I personally use the 6" counterweight with the 6" contour backing pad #54745, provided by "Coastaltool" . It's wider and feels more supportive than the one that comes with the Sonus kit. The Sonus foam pads attach to the Coastal backing pad.

Autopia, also sells the microfiber concourse Finishing Bonnet in a package of two for $7.75., they fit the Coastal foam polishing pad that's provided in the kit perfectly.

I went to Lowes and could not find the 7424. I got it from Coastal in one day. I love it and it works great! IMHO...
Lowes only sells the 7336 model which is indentical to the 7424 model except the 7336 if factory fitted with the 6 inch counter weight already and the 7424 is fitted with the 5 inch counter weight that is supposed to be changed to run a 6 inch backer plate................
Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
mrZeee

having both counter weights(in the coastal kit) lets you run a greater varity of pads...giving your choice from the multiple pad/backing plate suppliers
Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump.

Just because it's the end of the month. You can get it cheaper, then add the backing plates, etc... But in my mind, the lifetime warranty is the key.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:56 AM
HotRodGuy

wish I had waited, I will say though that i don't care for meguiars backing plate though. I know they will hopefully be comming out w/ a new one soon as even guys over at their headquarters won't use their backing plates.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:30 PM
mrZeee

HRG...I only have the meg backing plate..so I don't know what I'm missing out on?? what are the pro's of the other backing plates??
Old 10-01-2004, 09:00 AM
HotRodGuy

Originally posted by mrZeee
HRG...I only have the meg backing plate..so I don't know what I'm missing out on?? what are the pro's of the other backing plates??

they hold the pad on tighter and have leave less of a chance of it falling off. I have www.properautocares.com 6" backing plate, I love it, I also like that it's rubber and has a little bit of flexability. The hook and loops are also molded into the plate instead of just glued. I use it w/ 6" LC pads, the only thing I wasn't sure of was that the plate goes tot he very edge of the pad so I went and got a megs one, I've used the megs one once and once only. They are currently working on trying to get it redesigned. I wouldn't rush out and buy something else if you are happy w/ what you have, but if it ever comes around to replacing it you should look for something other then the megs one.