Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

greddy tt drift car

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
aaronlosey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy tt drift car

well, i put a turbo kit on my z33 drift car. before i did the tt kit, all the car had was a nismo lsd and tie rods/grinding. car worked well, went through a ton of tires, had tons of fun. i had to get used to drifting in 3rd gear, keeping the revs up or the power would fall off and the car would come out of drift. 3rd gear drifting was very possible, but on prolonged 3rd gear stuff, it just didn't have enough grunt.

well, fast forward to now, where the car manjis like a monster in 4th. 4th gear has more than enough power to keep the rear tires spinning through a really big turn, and i dare say 5th gear would be possible. i'd just have to find a corner big enough, or enough room to try 5th gear manji. we were at a huge parking lot at the mineral wells airport this weekend, and even though its huge, when your traveling 90+ sideways you run out of room fast.

i used an oil cooler for my power steering cooler, so its very large. the radiator is a power enterprises. turbo kit is a gretty tt with a reflash, then emanage tuning at sgp. fuel is a pump/full fuel return kit. boost is set at 8psi, sometimes lower. fuel slosh is a pain right now, and i have to figure out how to stop it.

anyways, the car is very spontaneous and adjustable with so much power. extremely fun. 400whp is a great amount of power for the z when drifting. you can always use more, but if you can't enjoy 400whp, you have issues : )

now i just have to see how long it all holds together. i don't really want to do a built motor, as i don't need any more power at the moment, but i'm prepared to if necessary.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
dank311

Thats nice to hear. Please let me know how you engine holds up with the turbo kit while attending drift events. I was thinking about getting a turbo setup(maybe single), but I wasnt sure how it would hold up under that kind of abuse. Also please keep us posted about any minor problems or precautious mods that need to be made for it to be reliable under drift abuse. Is the power steering cooler a must?
Also, some 4th gear video clips would be nice if you are able to get some!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:58 PM
aaronlosey

the power steering was a must way before the turbo kit. i was over heating it whenever i would do prolonged multilap drifting. the water temps would skyrocket as well if i didn't move fast enough, such as low speed 1st gear demo type drifting at events.

the most important mods for drifting on the z, are

1. diff
2. tie rods
3. power steering cooler
4. radiator

the tie rods almost become a safety issue after awhile, as the car had so little angle stock it was hard to NOT spin it in high speed drifts. the extra angle keeps you from spinning if your ready for it, so when tandeming with 4 people they don't all run into you. : )

i will try to remember to make someone film. we aren't scheduled to go back out until jan 8th, then jan 22.

by the way, how do you like your coilovers? i have been waiting out on those for awhile, as the stock suspension is pretty damn good, and as soon as i put coilovers on it i will slam it like all my other cars. then i can't really street drift how i normally do. i just can't leave coilovers at stock height.

Last edited by aaronlosey; 12-15-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like the LSD??
Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 AM
zfastest

All you need now is a body kit and some coilovers, give me a soon jack ***.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 PM
aaronlosey

give me a soon jack ***.
huh? lol

the nismo lsd is great. a little clunky, but after you do the second fluid change it gets much better. i have about 30k miles on it i would think, and its still going like a champ. 30k aaron miles is alot by the way. thats over a hundred tires worth of love.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
35oZephyR

Thanks for the feedback. I want an LSD really bad....

The open-diff for the base kinda sucks.....wait let me rephrase that. It REALLY sucks.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

yes it does suck very bad
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 PM
aaronlosey

The open-diff for the base kinda sucks.....wait let me rephrase that. It REALLY sucks.
yes, but it allows you to not waste your money on the vlsd and spend it on a better one, like the nismo or kaaz. i purchased the base model specifically because it was the lightest, cheapest, had no traction control, and didn't come with a diff.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by aaronlosey
yes, but it allows you to not waste your money on the vlsd and spend it on a better one, like the nismo or kaaz. i purchased the base model specifically because it was the lightest, cheapest, had no traction control, and didn't come with a diff.

Yes, I totally agree with that. I went with the base for those very reasons too.

However, this transitional period between having an LSD and not having an LSD is Had to put on the suspension, aftermarket wheels and tires first, stock Z 17's couldn't be any uglier.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
aaronlosey

the stock suspension is pretty good. you should have done a diff before the suspension. : )
Old 12-31-2005, 11:00 AM
zfastest

Originally Posted by aaronlosey
the stock suspension is pretty good. you should have done a diff before the suspension. : )
Dude, you are tottally wrong. Judges want to see bling in competitions. He should have gotten 1. Body Kit 2. Strobes 3. Tire Flys and 4. Body kit.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
aaronlosey

just updating with some pics.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
35oZephyR

Nice front kit there.

Are you drifting with 19's???
Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 PM
aaronlosey

18s in front, 17s in back. if it needs to look blingy, i guess i will put the 18s on the back too.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Zilvia

nice pics
Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
35oZephyR

How often do you change the front tires?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 AM
aaronlosey

at high speed events with braking entry, with my abs disabled, they only last one day. at a 3rd gear course which is slower, the front tires would not see as much heavy braking, with hopefully no lockup-dragging. in that case, i can get 2-3 events out of them. for the best possible performance out of a set of fronts though, they should be new for each event.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 AM
LOOKING4AZ

I plan on building a street/drift events drift Z, when i find one...

Can you tell me what mods you have??

I drift an mkiii supra with a 1JZ and its nice, because i put allot into it.. Im in love with the Z and want to go that route....

Thanks
Josh
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 PM
aaronlosey

first of all, buy a base model.

the things you need in order of importance are

1. absolutely a diff
2. almost absolutely tie rods
3. power steering cooler
4. bigger radiator
5. then whatever you want