Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

What are the first things I should get to turn my 350z into a drift car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Driftwannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the first things I should get to turn my 350z into a drift car

I recently purchased an 03 touring 350z with 60k miles. I bought the car with the sole purpose of making it a drift car. I want some feed back from people that have already done this so I can try to avoid some mistakes. I'm curious whether coil overs, camber arms, and away bars are something I should look into right away or not. If so what brands to y'all recommend? I plan on getting a nismo 1.5 way diff right away because I've heard there good enough for drifting but a little better for street driving. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Seat time
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

^This
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 AM
laurentj23

Hydraulic ebrake?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kei Office green racing gloves.

Seriously, adjust alignment settings, get a stiffer rear suspension and extra tires.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

drifting skills.

They drift just fine in stock form at stock height. Until you learn your car, don't go throwing parts at it. ONce you learn your car, you'll have a better idea of what needs to be upgraded FIRST. you may only want to start grabbing tires or possibly just tighten up your suspension with some coilovers and sways. Or, maybe you nEED a new diff. It's really going to depend on you and how deep you get into it. But, if your wheel turns and your gas pedal works, your Z will drift as is. Honestly one of the best STOCK drift cars I've driven.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock car is easy to drift so I don't really see any point in modifying anything. I would suggest getting a lot of practice and a lot of tires. If you can get real skinny tires that don't have a lot of grip that can help make sliding more easier. And remember to turn the VDC and TCS off =P
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Z-Crazy

U can drift on a stock Z easily, practice hard and then start with suspension and alignment
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Driftwannabe

Lmao jah70, no lie I spent the first 15 minutes of practice with traction control on trying to figure out why the tires wouldn't keep spinning, needless to say I felt like a jackass when I realized. No upgrades will be purchased right away accept the LSD because I can tell the stock LSD has worn out( constantly fights the drift, always trying to straighten out), but I'm curious as to what I need to be saving for and what brand coil overs/ cambers. And with extra tires/rims I figured those were both assumed necessities. But can someone enlighten me on the stock rims? I want to get 4 extra rims to mount rear tires on. I've been told I could buy a used set of factory rims and take some "spacer" out of the front rims to make them fit on the rear. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftwannabe
Lmao jah70, no lie I spent the first 15 minutes of practice with traction control on trying to figure out why the tires wouldn't keep spinning, needless to say I felt like a jackass when I realized. No upgrades will be purchased right away accept the LSD because I can tell the stock LSD has worn out( constantly fights the drift, always trying to straighten out), but I'm curious as to what I need to be saving for and what brand coil overs/ cambers. And with extra tires/rims I figured those were both assumed necessities. But can someone enlighten me on the stock rims? I want to get 4 extra rims to mount rear tires on. I've been told I could buy a used set of factory rims and take some "spacer" out of the front rims to make them fit on the rear. Does anyone know if this is true?
It's not the car, it's your driving skill.

Where are you practicing right now?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Driftwannabe

I had 2 people that drift regularly tell me that the LSD feels like its bad after they drove it. Not saying my skill doesn't play into it but they pointed it out without me asking about it so I would think there would be some truth to it. Right now I practice at an old abandoned 6 lane street that cul de sacs at the end. I've learned donuts(controlled drift donuts, not just flooring it and spinning out over and over) figure 8s, and clutch popping to start the drift. And there's a big wide turn I practice on every once in awhile. But I should be going to a practice event in June because there's not enough space to learn too much more in the cul de sac and I can't spend more than 20 minutes there before I get paranoid.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wasn't there some issue with the Z not spinning tires because of a fuse or something??
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftwannabe
There's a member on this website I met (I'm not going to say his name) that spent a whole day trying to show me how to drift with his traction control and vdc still on and he thought his z was broken lmfao.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
AndyBGAWTSuhZ

KingBaby nailed it.. you don't need anything to drift but you and your Z!

If you'd like to look further into your options I recommend you search for "Suspension 101" and "Drifting 101" here on my350z. Amazing write ups with all the info you'll need!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Z-Crazy

Originally Posted by Jah70
There's a member on this website I met (I'm not going to say his name) that spent a whole day trying to show me how to drift with his traction control and vdc still on and he thought his z was broken lmfao.
Bahaha
Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Tein extended outer tie rods with spacers is a cheap mod to give you a bit more steering angle. No reason not to get those to start off....
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
AndyBGAWTSuhZ

Originally Posted by Junkster
Tein extended outer tie rods with spacers is a cheap mod to give you a bit more steering angle. No reason not to get those to start off....
Inner*
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^haha good correction! Lol, sorry about that.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If you grow out of drifting in your six cul-de-sacs and decide to go for a bit of track time i'd consider getting a roll cage as you never know what you're going to smack into and its always better to be safe than sorry. Practice, practice , tires and practice, more tires and practice, crash, repairs.

Last edited by samsniss350z; 05-28-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

The first thing you need to get is a permit from your town to have all the utility poles in your area temporarily removed.

Quick Reply: What are the first things I should get to turn my 350z into a drift car