Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

350 flaws

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Zless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 350 flaws

I realize that there are forums available for this topic but I particulary interested in the perspectives of fellow eastern canadians.

I drove two 350's yesterday for the first time, and I have to confess I was a little disappointed. I did like many things about the car, but there were a few items that concerned me. I am wondering if these concerns are of worth or should be dismissed (and I realize I am addressing this to a biased audience). My concerns included

(1) ride: very jittery and busy, almost to the point of irritation. The ride was in stark contrast to that of the Z32 I owned which was endowed with lowering springs, 18 inch rims and 40 series tires. Is this jittery ride something that you get used to to the point where you're not even conscious of it or is it something you simply put up with as a trade off for the admittedly incredible handling characteristics?

(2) blind spot: the classic blind spot over the shoulder check is almost pointless in this car, I was almost never completely confident in making lane changes. Is this something that you adjust to with time?

(3) engine character: I found the vibration and noise of the engine to be less enthralling than the inline six of a BMW, whereas the engine in myZ32 was in my view as silky as any BMW engine. The engines I drove were both green, does this explain my perceptions, will the engines get silkier after break in?

The fact that those are the only things I have to complain about says a lot about the car. I have driven the Audi TT, C5, Bmw 325ci, porsche boxster (not the S) and dismissed them all for some reason. The 350 came close to satisfying me. I loved its handling characterisitcs, transmission dynamics, the torquey response of the engine, the exhuast note, and ergonomics. It simply is a fun car to drive. But I wonder if my concerns above will mean that my love of the car will wane with time as its practical deficiencies irritate me in its use as a daily driver.

Any comments would be appreciated
Old 05-09-2003, 05:34 PM
spacemanspiff

Yup, ride a bit bouncy. They may fix in the 2004 model...so perhaps if you wait a bit this problem may be solved for you.

I'm a 6.2 tall person, haven't had a problem with the blind spots...or more likely I'm just used to them since have been driving small sports cars for quite a while.

Compared to wife's BMW 330i engine, I'd take the Z engine.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Mapleleaf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350 Z

You just have to feel the magic when you get in the car , it doesn't matter how many times it just GREAT!!! no matter which car you pick their is going to be items that don't feel like your last car or the last one you tested , but the Z is a legacy that I have personally felt since out of Highschool - 71 -240Z 75 -260Z , I have a Silverstone -performance that I would not trade for any other car that I saw or looked at --- it's just a thing that you feel and if it feels good --- GO FOR IT.
Attached Thumbnails 350 flaws-mapleleaf.jpg  
Old 05-10-2003, 08:07 PM
dbpoet

I don't find the ride jittery, I find that it rides like a sports car. I blind spot dosen't bother me, you just have to look a little harder.
I don't know about the one you test drove but my engine dosen't vibrate, it growls when I step on it.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:36 PM
s2kdarren

guys I have inside news there is a recall on the tires...
one of the guys from head office...
Old 05-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

HUH?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as bouncy ride, my car settled down a bit after about 3k miles... it's not nearly as bad as it used to be, imho.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Boomer

Default Re: 350 flaws

Originally posted by Zless
I realize that there are forums available for this topic but I particulary interested in the perspectives of fellow eastern canadians.

I drove two 350's yesterday for the first time, and I have to confess I was a little disappointed. I did like many things about the car, but there were a few items that concerned me. I am wondering if these concerns are of worth or should be dismissed (and I realize I am addressing this to a biased audience). My concerns included

(1) ride: very jittery and busy, almost to the point of irritation. The ride was in stark contrast to that of the Z32 I owned which was endowed with lowering springs, 18 inch rims and 40 series tires. Is this jittery ride something that you get used to to the point where you're not even conscious of it or is it something you simply put up with as a trade off for the admittedly incredible handling characteristics?

(2) blind spot: the classic blind spot over the shoulder check is almost pointless in this car, I was almost never completely confident in making lane changes. Is this something that you adjust to with time?

(3) engine character: I found the vibration and noise of the engine to be less enthralling than the inline six of a BMW, whereas the engine in myZ32 was in my view as silky as any BMW engine. The engines I drove were both green, does this explain my perceptions, will the engines get silkier after break in?

The fact that those are the only things I have to complain about says a lot about the car. I have driven the Audi TT, C5, Bmw 325ci, porsche boxster (not the S) and dismissed them all for some reason. The 350 came close to satisfying me. I loved its handling characterisitcs, transmission dynamics, the torquey response of the engine, the exhuast note, and ergonomics. It simply is a fun car to drive. But I wonder if my concerns above will mean that my love of the car will wane with time as its practical deficiencies irritate me in its use as a daily driver.

Any comments would be appreciated
1. My ride was excessively busy and jittery with the OE tires, I hated them and put on Michelins. 2. You will adjust to the blind spot in time, you just have to put your head on a swivel for a while and you will compensate quickly. 3. The engine is a large V6 with balance shafts, it is very elemental, vibrates a bit, but put your foot in it and hang on. Forget the nice, polite inline 6 of the BMW, this is a torque monster with 200ft lbs of torque available at 1200rpm. If you have to have civilized, don't buy the Z. But, you can become addicted very quickly to the power and you won't want to go back to civilized.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:23 PM
happypants

Default Re: 350 flaws

Originally posted by Zless
The ride is because the shocks don't match the spring rate. Those who have replaced the springs, or the whole suspension found the ride improved dramatically.

I'm close to 2000 miles on my Z and I'm sort of used to it. It still annoys me enough I will eventually replace the suspension. The bouncing has not changed at all. This DEFECT in the suspension soured my "new car" experience. Whether Nissan covers the fix is another story.

Yes. I felt the same as you when I first got the car, but once the mirrors were adjusted outwards, and the rear view mirror was lowered, I was able to see enough, and now drive confidently. I still check the blind spots as I do in any car.

Yes. After break in it is a treat to wind out the engine!

If you test drove 6-speed, the shifter vibration doesn't go away, but that is because there isn't any isolation bushings. I like the 6-speed exactly as it is.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Stilyle

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
HUH?
The quote you are responding to is from a Nissan salesman
in Ontario. My brother also works for Nissan and has informed
me about a similar rumor citing the actual bridgestones being
the cause for the whole feathering issue.

Apparently there is a lot of squaking going on behind the scenes,
and being that it is just a rumor, validity at this point cannot be
questioned...
Old 05-18-2003, 05:07 PM
s2kdarren

Originally posted by Stilyle
The quote you are responding to is from a Nissan salesman
in Ontario. My brother also works for Nissan and has informed
me about a similar rumor citing the actual bridgestones being
the cause for the whole feathering issue.

Apparently there is a lot of squaking going on behind the scenes,
and being that it is just a rumor, validity at this point cannot be
questioned...

thats right