Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Ontario kicking it's speeding laws up a bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ontario kicking it's speeding laws up a bit

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...c5d4a9b&k=8397

Ontario to impose $10,000 fines for speeding
50 km/h over the limit results in immediate suspension
CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2007
In its battle against extreme speeders, the Ontario government said Wednesday drivers caught going 50 kilometres or more over the speed limit will be treated the same as street racers.

That means issuing an immediate seven-day driver's licence suspension at roadside.

As well, in June, the province strengthened penalties for street racers and drunk drivers with its Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act. The legislation increased fines for convicted street racers up to $10,000 - the highest street-racing fine in Canada.

"That means they'll face the extreme stiff penalty we apply to street racers," said Premier Dalton McGuinty, who unveiled the new initiative at the Buttonville Airport in Markham, Ont. "In short, you're looking at major cost and major inconvenience."

The province will also designate 55 more Ontario Provincial Police officers to fight extreme speeding and fund a new OPP plane with high-tech surveillance equipment.

"Excessive speeding on our roads will not be tolerated," said Ontario's Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield in a prepared statement. "With these tougher measures, our government continues to protect those who obey the law from those who choose to break it," said Cansfield.

Ontario police, like officials across Canada, have been engaged in an ongoing battle against street racing for years. The federal government also introduced tougher Criminal Code penalties for street racing just before Christmas.

Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino praised the new provincial resources to fight street racing.

"The addition of these new officers will help us make Ontario's highways safer by enabling us to clear crash scenes more quickly while safeguarding both officers and the public," said OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino. "By adding aerial traffic support we will be able to target aggressive drivers and street racers."

In April, CanWest News Service reported the deadly pursuit has killed 38 people in the Greater Toronto Area since 1999.

In June, the National Post also reported York Region police officers have charged 550 drivers with street racing in the past six weeks.

In July, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champ, Paul Tracy, spoke out against street racing.

"It's not the place to do it," Tracy said. "There's no prize in winning a drag race from stoplight to stoplight. It might not happen the first time, but somewhere down the line there's going to be a lot of heartache."

The impact of street racing reaches across the country:

. A report of five luxury cars tearing up a strip of Alberta highway is now being investigated by police. RCMP are looking into a report four Ferraris and a Lamborghini were doing more than 200 kilometres an hour on highways in southern Alberta last week. Five drivers are being investigated for speeding and dangerous driving.

. Police on Vancouver Island earlier this month stopped two street races in which drivers hurtled down the Trans-Canada and other highways at speeds of more than 150 kilometres per hour. Four drivers had their vehicles seized and licences suspended for 15 days. They were fined $483 for excessive speeding.

. Two fatal crashes earlier this month in Nova Scotia and Quebec are both being linked to street racing. A head-on collision in Dartmouth, N.S., left two drivers dead and another man was killed in a drag-racing accident in Laval, Que.

Last month in Ottawa, police laid 76 charges during an enforcement campaign aimed at street racing. They laid charges related to speeding, driving under suspension, equipment, documents and insurance.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Z Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, the way i see it is, you shouldn't be doing 50 over the limit anyways, so this shouldn't affect anybody driving responsibly.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 PM
StraySheep

I think the best way to reduce speeders on the streets is to build more race tracks. Especially right in the Richmond Hill / Markham area.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
ZlleH

I'm sure you've been on the 401, I see cars doing 150+ all the time. It's so common that I'm only shocked when a car goes by doing 170-190.

Originally Posted by Z Tuned
hmm, the way i see it is, you shouldn't be doing 50 over the limit anyways, so this shouldn't affect anybody driving responsibly.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Doba

The helicopter thing has been used in the past and then suspended cause of high budget, what makes them think it will be any cheaper these days? I guess gas went down... helicopters got cheaper? We should be putting money towards getting guns off the street, not having helicopters hovering over our heads.

I agree you shouldnt be doing 50 over the limit anyhow.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I'm sure you've been on the 401, I see cars doing 150+ all the time. It's so common that I'm only shocked when a car goes by doing 170-190.
^+1
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Z Tuned

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Ya, I've seen it. It's even worse on the 407 during off-peak hours.

Those people are considered hazards and should be ticketed. There are a lot of idiots who don't know how to drive properly and if they were to cut in front of one of those people who are driving that fast, then we have another death or two on our hands.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:08 AM
noodleman

i know "a friend" who goes 150+ on the regular in his z....

I thought if you go over 50 you already get your licence suspended with the current laws. I guess they're just jacking up the fines.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by Doba
The helicopter thing has been used in the past and then suspended cause of high budget, what makes them think it will be any cheaper these days? I guess gas went down... helicopters got cheaper? We should be putting money towards getting guns off the street, not having helicopters hovering over our heads.

I agree you shouldnt be doing 50 over the limit anyhow.

The OPP ran several trial runs using one of the department's Pilatus PC-12 last summer. Unfortunatly, the PC-12 worked well, but they did not need a 13 seat, turbine powered AC with an op cost of over 2000$ an hour to do traffic patrols!
Word in the OPP's flight op's department is that they just purchaced a 2005 Cessna 182 which will do the job with gusto.....
Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 AM
t350z

And now the OPP has a plane that they will be launching in the fall to track and catch speeders. See the story on CP24.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Well I mean, that's all well and good. People certainly shouldn't be driving 50 over.
I usually go 10 to 20 over depending on whether it's a 50 or a 100 zone. Any less and you are tailgated by morons in vans that couldn't stop if their lives depended on it. Unfortunately, it's not their lives that depend on it, it's yours. I'm the slowest driver of anyone I know with the exception of my step dad. The hilarious thing is that I've been pulled over 3 times for "speeding" in the past 2 years.
Cops up in Renfrew county pull you over for 110 in a 90, they ask you your job, and fine you to the upmost if they think you can pay, since it's Ontario's poorest county. People are actually starting to lie and say they are poor. But I'm just going off on a tangeant since I'm so bitter about it.
My real point is that where are the fines for the activities that are really dangerous? Tailgating, rolling through stops, blind lane changes, talking and eating and doing your hair while driving, not wearing seat belts?
You don't hear about huge fines and and increases in punishments for these activities.
I think part of it is that speeding is so easy to spot and enforce. You can fine some rich guy $5000 for going 150 km/h in his Porsche 911 for a brief stretch on an empty 400 series road at 5 am, and basically the police officer is judge, jury, and executioner. It's easy money for the county.
Now compare that with some dude driving 20 over through the city in a rusted out pick up with crappy brakes, tailgating at every oportunity because he likes to feel like he can bully his way through traffic, on a 70 km/h road, drinking coffee, and talking on his cell, and rolling through every stop sign.
Who is driving more dangerously? Who will get the bigger fine?
Bottom line is that open highway speeding is easy to enforce due to sight lines and easy to present court evidence. It may not be the absolutely most dangerous activity occuring on the roads, but it gets the most attention because it's easy money, and an easy way to show off police presence.
I didn't explain my point of view very well there.... crap I'm tired.

Last edited by 2TH PWR; 08-22-2007 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:13 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

^ I'd like to add that I respect the police very much, my dad's a police officer, and my brother is thinking about joining the OPP as well.
My point is I wish they would find a way to focus enforcement on the most dangerous people on the road.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Doba

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
My point is I wish they would find a way to focus enforcement on the most dangerous people on the road.
like old people, and all the pakis in Brampton
Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Well I mean, that's all well and good. People certainly shouldn't be drving 50 over.
I usually go 10 to 20 over depending on whether it's 50 or 100 zone. Any less and you are tailgated by morons in vans that couldn't stop if their lives depended on it. Unfortunately, it's not their lives that depend on it, it's yours. I'm the slowest driver of anyone I know with the exception of my step dad. The hilarious thing is that I've been pulled over 3 times for "speeding" in the past 2 years.
Cops up in renfrew county pull you over for 110 in a 90, they ask you your job, and fine you to the upmost if they think you can pay, since it's Ontario's poorest county. People are actually starting to lie and say they are poor. But I'm just going off on a tangeant since I'm so bitter about it.
My real point is that where are the fines for the activities that are really dangerous. Tailgating, rolling through stops, blind lane changes, talking and eating and doing your hair while driving, not wearing seat belts?
You don't here about huge fines and and increases in punishments for these activities.
I think part of it is that speeding is so easy to spot and enforce. You can fine some rich guy $5000 for going 150 km/hin his Porsche 911 for a brief stretch on an empty 400 series road at 5 am, and basically the police officer is judge, jury, and executioner. It's easy money for the county.
Now compare that with some dude driving 20 over through the city in a rusted out pick up with crappy brakes, tailgating at every oportunity because he likes to feel like he can bully his way through traffic, on a 70 km/h road, drinking coffee, and talking on his cell, and rolling through every stop sign.
Who is driving more dangerously? Who will get the bigger fine?
Bottom line is that open highway speeding is easy to enforce due to sight lines and easy to present court evidence. It may not be the absolutely most dangerous activity occuring on the roads, but it gets the most attention because it's easy money, and an easy way to show off police presence.
I didn't explain my point of view very well there.... crap I'm tired.
I think you explained yourself VERY well, actually, and I agree with you wholly.

I feel for you guys. Makes me glad I moved out to BC
Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 PM
NismoZ-33

I think the stupid ontario government has it all wrong. Speeding and "street racing" doesn't kill that many people on the roads at all. It's just more glamorous to have a high speed crash on the news instead of all the accidents caused be really bad drivers out there. Speeding is not the problem, it's bad drivers! They should attack the problem at the source and make licensing WAY more difficult. It's too easy here! Look at all the horrible drivers out there cutting people off, driving too slow, doing eratic lane changes etc... I don't even want to drive anymore!

If people knew how to drive 150 km/hr it would be perfectly safe considering the technology on todays cars. Just make sure you leave enough room to brake, check the condition of the road etc... A 100km/hr speed limit is based on 50's car technology. Just a few years ago they were considering raising the speed limit to a more normal 130km/hr or so.

Ugh, this country drives me nutts when it comes to driving laws. I could go on forever
Old 08-21-2007, 07:40 PM
AardyZ

Default My Rant (and solution)

This topic kills me- and 2th, you nailed it. There are equally as dangerous offences being committed daily that get zero attention due to lack of glamour. It's pretty annoying that those things are defined by the media in order to get ratings. Tailgater footage is less exciting than a wrecked Honda "performance vehicle" with an oversize wing on it. Crap cars going fast will always cause wrecks.

Let's be real here. I have a crotch rocket and I hit 180+ regularly on it when the road is empty and there are no opportunities for cars to pull in front of me (and only then)- and I don't see anything wrong with that. My risk, involving no one else, yet an OPP crusier coming the other way can pick me off from a kilometer away and I lose my license. If I stuck to a 100km/h speed limit I would never get out of first gear. Where are people supposed to stretch their legs with their performance machines? Closest real track to me is hours away. They may as well restrict all cars electronically to 105km/h. Heck a Toyota Echo will do 150.

It's almost like we need to establish some "graduated" rules depending on your machines abilities and your level of driver training. The guy with a 911 Turbo should damn well be able to do 140km/h becasue his car could be certified to be equally safe at that speed as a Dodge Caravan is at 90km/h. Couple that with making sure he maintains a "Performance" license and is qualified to drive at higher speeds and the OPP judge accordingly. Unsafe manouvers are still not allowed, but sitting in the fast lane with 14" Brembos doing speed should be.

The Autobahn has proven to be a very safe highway because the people who use it understand the rules and respect them.

This goverment is so good at wasting time and resources. Grrrrrrrr....