Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

It doesn't pay to be nice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM
layzee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It doesn't pay to be nice

Hi,

I am a fellow GTA Z owner who has trolled these forums for quite some time but never posted. I have met a few of you at a meet last year, as well as at Z fest this year. I own a 2003 Z 6spd performance package with my fiancée. Only mods presently installed are a set JIC flt-a2s I bought off a member here before the summer. The car is driving properly and has low miles as well as great paint and a near perfect interior(driver seat bolster has just gotten it's first hairline cracks). Basically this car is mint for a 2003.

To the point, it doesn’t pay to be nice.

Today my fiancée took the car and was heading over to work. She decided to stop at an Esso Station near work to buy some coffees for her fellow co-workers. She park at a pump properly, she was not sticking out or anything like that. She went in to get the coffees only to return a few minutes later to see a giant front loader garbage truck backing up in the direction of where she parked. After a few seconds to process what was going on, she began to yell out loud for the driver to stop the garbage truck. Not sure what was going on with the driver of the truck, but it took him a little while to realize that my fiancée was yelling at him specifically. At this point he had managed to back up over half of the hood, bending the hell out of it and pushing the oil pan against the ground till the car had nothing left to give.

So here we are 5hrs later with a preliminary estimate of the cosmetic damage sitting around $7000. That includes new headlights, hood, bumper repair, new strut brace, engine cover and various plastic covers under the hood and of course a lot of paint. The car is going to a Nissan dealership next week to get the mechanical inspection done. Just from staring at the car you can tell the front camber is way way off.(I had new arms put in last month and a proper alignment done to correct the issues with lowering).

So I’m looking for some advice. I’m at the point where with $7000 cosmetic and who knows who much mechanical damage. If the car is repaired will I still want it? We spent over a year looking for this car specifically. It was by far the nicest condition sheer silver/black leather z with low miles we could find in mint condition. If the car is in fact written off, what should we get?

Sorry for the long post and introduction but the morale of this story is , sometimes it doesn’t pay to be nice.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
StraySheep

Sorry to hear about your Z.

Based on your description, the damage sounds very severe. Even if you get it all fixed, it will probably not run/feel the same as before. I suggest you write off the car with your car insurance. Also, it may take months to fix it.

If you can write it off, I suggest you get the G37.

The lesson learned here is to use the drive through when buying coffee.

Last edited by StraySheep; 09-28-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Zilvia

write off get a new one......
Old 09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
noodleman

can't think like that bro. it sucks that some stupid garbage truck ruined your car, but **** happens. it probably wouldn't have hurt as much have a lesser car crushed like that, but that's just the name of the game when you have a nice car.

hope everything works out for you, maybe if you dont' feel quite comfortable with this Z, you could trade her in for a new one. For now i'd wait for the estimate and see what kind of damage there is.

don't get me wrong, i'd be FUMING if this happened to me. But I hope you can take a step back and know that at the end of the day, it's just a car. At least no one was physically injured. Though i'd feel alot better if the idiot truck driver gets what's coming to him....How the hell do you miss a car?!

I'm sorry you couldn't have introduced yourself under better circumstances, but i assure you that you'll get nothing but warm welcomes around this board!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for your loss......
Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

So if you aren't nice you don't get in accidents?

Sorry about the car but it could have been your fiancée run over ... and that doesn't buff out.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
layzee

Thank you for the kind words. But i share the feeling with most of you that if it is repaired it won't be the same. It won't ever be the same. I just felt it was kinda ironic that in doing something nice, something bad happened. I'm was just trying to use comedy to brighten the situation. I do fell lucky that nobody got hurt and it's only a fine piece of metal. But I'm sad at the same time as i truely loved this car and took better care of it then a normal person would have. Ohh well, that's life.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:51 PM
jasonintoronto

what's your insurance company say about all this?

an accident is an accident - even if it happens while buying coffee for friends, you can't prevent them by not being nice
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 PM
rzua5

Well at least i am glad yr fiancee is alright... but for the car I would say write it off and get a new one if you can. Not worth it to fix all those damages, it might be more severe than it seems..
Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 AM
noodleman

don't worry, you're the "norm" around here. Everyone here loves their car too
Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 AM
layzee

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
what's your insurance company say about all this?

an accident is an accident - even if it happens while buying coffee for friends, you can't prevent them by not being nice
insurance is really cool about it, it's not our fault and we don't have to pay the deductable etc.. . They are cool and have issued the body shop all the forms in a matter of hours after the incident. They also got us a rental, volvo s40 ugh, but what can you do. Once the car is checked out for mechanical damage we'll have a better idea on what they will do. luckily i bought a winter beater last month and had just plated it last week, so i get to drive my lifted jeep for now and let the wife drive the volvo.

If i get a choice and the numbers work i'd opt for a write off. I've never been in this situation before so i don't know how much say i get.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
XuperXero

I say write it off and buy a G37, that thing is sexy...

Sorry about the loss though. Honestly, don't bother fixing it... I got into accident as well a few month ago damaging headlight, fender, hood, bumper, and various suspension components. After fixing them all (just under half was paid out of my own pockets), the car never drove the same... and to this day, I'm still trying to find out why...
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
layzee

update....

The waste managment company that hit it us called today. The owner said in a message that if we don't settle this privately he will get his driver to sign an affidavid(not sure on the spelling) stating that we drove into him. my better half has already spoken to the gas station and is now in possesion of the secuirty video showing exactlly what happend. She also called the police to report the threats.
Do you believe the nerve of some people. Anyways the company claims if we go through insurance this will bumped their premium up another 50k a year. If they want to hand over a certified cheque for the value of the vehicle and expenses such as rental car, towing and emotional trauma I'm willing to talk. Otherwise say hello to higher insurance evil waste managment company.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by layzee
update....

The waste managment company that hit it us called today. The owner said in a message that if we don't settle this privately he will get his driver to sign an affidavid(not sure on the spelling) stating that we drove into him. my better half has already spoken to the gas station and is now in possesion of the secuirty video showing exactlly what happend. She also called the police to report the threats.
holy ****!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
StraySheep

update....

Do you believe the nerve of some people. Anyways the company claims if we go through insurance this will bumped their premium up another 50k a year. If they want to hand over a certified cheque for the value of the vehicle and expenses such as rental car, towing and emotional trauma I'm willing to talk. Otherwise say hello to higher insurance evil waste managment company.
If that's the case, make sure you get your hands on the security video and witness at the gas station. Also, I would definately record all your phone conversations with that owner.

If he says that their premium will go up 50K a year if you go through insurance, tell him to write you a 49K cheque to deal privately. 49K should be more than enough to buy you another used Z and you can keep the old one for spare parts.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update....

^unfuknbelieveable!
I think a law suit is in order. ....
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM
XuperXero

^ +1111111111

Honestly, that's complete ********.

Get that security tape and witness and get that company screwed over. Why would that guy even care? He's not paying for the insurance, the company is.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 PM
noodleman

David, you should learn to read...the waste company's OWNER called. That's utter and complete ******** anyways. Just for a stunt like that, I'd **** that company over for sure. Next time they try to call you, tell'em to say hello to their extra 50k premium.

unbelievable what companies try to get away with...does no one have any morals left?!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Smasher

Waste Management, isn't that another word for Mofia?

Maybe I watch to much TV
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

^^ maybe that's why their premium goes up 50k after 1 claim ... insurance companies are cracking down on the mafia, they make too many suspicious claims per year