Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:57 PM
KickMeInTheJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Now that things are starting to frost over at night, it's only a matter of time before they start putting that salt **** on the roads. For those of you that store your cars in the winter what do you normally do?

So far I've got planned:
- Fuel Stabilizer
- Fresh coat of wax
- Car cover

Anything else worthwhile? Putting the car on blocks it out of the question as I'm sure the building management will complain.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-03-2007, 04:05 PM
XuperXero

Not sure about having car cover for winter. People said something about condensation building up underneath the cover and causing some crap in there.

If it's in a sheltered place (underground parking/garage), then avoid car cover.

Inflate tires to max psi is another thing.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
bwk

when u guys planning to park the car for the season?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

Originally Posted by bwk
January 2008
Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 AM
noodleman

as mentioned, having a fresh oil change before storage is pretty important. You don't want all that dirty oil to sit.

Fuel stabilizers is a matter of preference imo...since I'm fine without it, and my friend uses it and has no problems either....I tend to be scared about adding stuff to the fuel system that they might not have expected to be in the system though.

People find carpets or small blocks of wood to park on top off the tires to further help preventing flat spots on the tires.

You should either disconnect the battery, or get a battery tender for it. Seeing as how you mentioned that it's condo parking...battery tender is probably not an option. You will need to follow the steps in the owner's manual for disconnecting the battery to make sure your windows will be ok.

I like to keep a box of baking soda in the cabin over the winter to soak up any odors that might brew up from being sealed up for a few months.

Car cover is a preference as well. I don't see a point in using one when it's parked in doors...it'll just get dusty that's all...nothing a cali duster or a quick wash won't handle.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
NH01

Originally Posted by noodleman
People find carpets or small blocks of wood to park on top off the tires to further help preventing flat spots on the tires.
does that mean its a good idea to put the car up on 4 jack stands?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Z_35TH_Z
Rainman

Originally Posted by bwk

2 weeks ago...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
noodleman

Originally Posted by NH01
does that mean its a good idea to put the car up on 4 jack stands?
if you put your car on jack stands, you gotta make sure you take the wheels off. The suspension doesn't like it when the weight of the wheels are resting on it.

for me personally, i kept my oem rims after getting my volks, so i just park my car on my oems with bald tires and not even bother with all this stuff.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
NH01

Originally Posted by noodleman
if you put your car on jack stands, you gotta make sure you take the wheels off. The suspension doesn't like it when the weight of the wheels are resting on it.

for me personally, i kept my oem rims after getting my volks, so i just park my car on my oems with bald tires and not even bother with all this stuff.
dam..i cant use my oem rims.. i have track tires on them.. and they cant stay out in the cold X_X

I guess i'll just over inflate the tire, dont want to risk damaging the suspension
Old 11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
noodleman

well, you could just take the rims off and leave the car on jack stands. just kinda make it look like someone stole your rims haha.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to what everyone is saying, I would recommend driving every couple weeks as the weather and road permits. When you do take it out, make sure to run your A/C, so that it can lubricate all the seals and prevent any future leakage.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
6ix

if your going to put up on jack stands you do not have to remove the tires all your trying to do is take some of the weight off the springs...dont try to suspend the whole car its not needed.....start the car once every 2 weeks to circulate oil and fuel thru the car and turn on a/c to make sure its getting circulated as well.....when starting the car every couple weeks make sure to let fuel prime first and then crank and let car run till it gets to proper running temp and then let run for 5 min.....that way your oil will not turn into the mayonase looking yellow from quick runs. car cover whys not really needed if it is sheltered, sounds like you are in a underground parking give the car a nice clay bar and wax, and dust it off if the dirt bothers you. on nice days take the car out for a nice blast to clear out the exhaust,....oh and good tip for those with rat problems cover the exhaust and intake to keep the punks out of there.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
baka778

when you mean battery tender, its those battery charger that they sell @ canadian tire right?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Smasher

Default Shhhhhh!

Quiet She's sleeping!