Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Suspension set up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
JungleJunkee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension set up?

okay so I want to set up my suspension and wheels this summer and was looking for a little help. I drive an 03 Touring Z. I want to do the whole springs/shocks/camber deal and then I want to choose the right rims. I am looking for a 1.5 drop even all around with 19's if they won't rub and if they would with that drop then 18's or maybe 19's on a 1" drop?? I have no clue what to get or where to start. My price range is pretty flexible, I'm not looking to race so I don't want the absolute most expensive but nothing too cheap neither. I'd really appreciate the help. Also I have VDC on my car but I've been told that it reacts to different sized tires on aftermarket wheels but I'm not sure how to choose the right rims and tires, some help with that would also be wicked....

thanks in advance...

by the way, have you guys ever found that people in the Canadian forums are a lot more helpful and less mean than other forums?? anyways thanks again
Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
noodleman

haha, we just have more patience...there are alot of questions that new comers ask all the time, and a little searching (or reading the stickies) would easily find the answers they're looking for. When you've been here long enough...you'll see this happening, so members just rag on them for posting repeated questions.

it does add alot of clutter on the main forums..that's why it's frowned upon.

As to your questions, if you're going for looks, you should definitely go for 19s. 18/19s won't determine whether or not you rub, it's the offset + width that determines if you rub or not.

I suggest you do some reading around the main forums first, as they do have alot of info to digest. Once you have a better idea of what you're looking for and we can help narrow down the choices.

When it comes to the Z, there really is just too many options for any mod.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
JungleJunkee

thanks for the help bro, i'll do some more research and come back with some suspension wheel combos...
Old 02-02-2008, 05:16 AM
moxy350z

I have the Hotchkit TVS stage 1 kit - springs and sway bars. It dropped the car evenly. I think you can get it for around $700.CAD, that's including shipping, duty fees etc... from a few dealers. I know Intensepower.com (http://www.intensepower.com/suspension.html)and Summit Racing (http://store.summitracing.com) carry it. I like the ride, althought you feel every bump in the road. I also have a set of 20's and they don't rub.

Hope you find what your looking for.........

Last edited by moxy350z; 02-02-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
rzua5

When it comes to suspension setup, you really need to understand what Kind of ride/performance you are looking for. For example, before I purchase my suspension I know that I want a setup that can give me handling when I need and I can feel the road. And voila, I got the JIC FLT-A2 which handles really good and give me rough ride which I like. So if you want something that is good for everyday use you can just get a sport springs like Nismo..but if you wants something that you can tweek and tune, get a coilovers like the Teins,cusco just to name a few. When you are looking for rims, there are just many setup...It will be long to explain so I wont elaborate here..
There is a online rims offset and rims size calculator. As long as your F and R tires are under a certain ratio in size you will fine with VDC.
Tire size calculatorhttp://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
Offset calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Hope this helps...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 AM
toples z

Like (noodleman) said you suldnt rub with 19" (all depends on your wheel offset, and tire size you use). i have 20" with 285/30/20 after droping the back around 2 inch. (i did have to roll the fenders) (BY the way if anyone needs there fenders rolled i know a really good guy,. Clean job + pair price(PM me)
For the coilovers i have the tein flex and im very happy with that setup
Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
noodleman

toples Z, you got pm
Old 02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
XuperXero

Or buy my Nismo Spring and TC Klines shocks , and call it a day. Comfortable dampening on street and holds up amazingly on track. Better some coilovers out there. Shocks are double adjustable too!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:30 AM
noodleman

lol comfort :P
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
JungleJunkee

how low can I go before having to adjust the camber?? 1.0" or 1.5"?? and if I lower it with coilovers and i do have to get a camber kit, is it an adjustable camber kits I am looking for?? how does camber work?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 PM
XuperXero

If you go lower than 1", then camber will be out of adjustment. As for our cars, our is a different design from other cars which rules out camber plates. The only way to adjust camber is to get camber kit for rear and A-arms.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM
JungleJunkee

sweet, thanks for the info bro...