Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Service Engine Soon light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Asad_A203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon light?

Quick question for you guys that hopefully you can answer (Damn GDriver being down!!).

My G died yesterday when I parked it outside for about 50 minutes at university. The fan turned on, CD player started; but vehicle made no attempt to turn over. It didn't give a rough idle; it made no attempt. I had really no idea wtf happened since the battery was obviously working fine; and it must be with the starter/sensor something got messed up. I tried about 5-6 times and it still refused to turn over; all the lights were on my dash as well. I opened my hood to see if anything might have been in there (didn't seem like it and I closed my hood); and I went back to start the car and it finally turned over on the 2nd attempt but now I have this Service Engine Soon light on my dash. The car runs fine after that little issue yesterday; drove fine and started fine today. I also had to leave it outside again for 9 hours tonight; and it started with no problem. I think something might have froze as it was -46C yesterday and it was windy too; but the light still hasn't gone off yet.

I am going to go get the car scanned at a local shop and from there find out what I am going to end up repairing and take it to Infiniti to get repaired. Any suggestions on what probably went? I will let you guys know tommorow what ended up going but won't mind suggestions since you guys do know a whole lot more about this car then I do.

My car has OW30 oil and no block heater as well (never a concern as my car is parked inside everyday and never outside usually more than 3 hours; but this problem doesn't seem like it was because of a lack of a block heater).
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 AM
gsedanman

Hi Asad.....Msedanman here from 'Driver......
Yes get the scan and see what's causing the 'light'...At least with that you'll know where to look for a fix.--

If there's no current problem in the 'puter, a simple reset (erasure) of the light can eliminate that, but you need to see if there's an issue to deal with.

BTW, batteries (even almost dead ones) can easily power dash lights and radios, so don't assume that your battery is good.
It is strange that now it's not showing any signs of weakness...I doubt that a MIL (check engine light) would be prompted by an electrical issue........That (light) is most likely part of the pollution control system, but you'll see when it's scanned....

G/L with that issue, and 'Driver will be back up soon as Kyle (GodZilla) is busy changing servers.......

Cheers
Colin. (Msedanman)
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
XuperXero

Sounds like starter or starter solenoid. Probably got frozen?
Old 02-02-2008, 03:10 PM
toples z

I would say check the current on your battery and alternator. + you can always disconnect your battery for 5 min and see if the light goes away if not or if there is a problem then the light will come back on and then you can go to a mechanic. My parents have a FX45 and i also experience a problem starting it in the morning on cold days (all the time) sometimes it won’t even turn over and when it does it shuts off right away. I would thing that its the Starter or the coil.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by gsedanman
Hi Asad.....Msedanman here from 'Driver......
Yes get the scan and see what's causing the 'light'...At least with that you'll know where to look for a fix.--

If there's no current problem in the 'puter, a simple reset (erasure) of the light can eliminate that, but you need to see if there's an issue to deal with.

BTW, batteries (even almost dead ones) can easily power dash lights and radios, so don't assume that your battery is good.
It is strange that now it's not showing any signs of weakness...I doubt that a MIL (check engine light) would be prompted by an electrical issue........That (light) is most likely part of the pollution control system, but you'll see when it's scanned....

G/L with that issue, and 'Driver will be back up soon as Kyle (GodZilla) is busy changing servers.......

Cheers
Colin. (Msedanman)
Thanks for the advice Colin. I went to one of the shops around the city and got the codes that caused the error code:

U1000 Controller Area Network
Communication Circuit

U1001 Controller Area Network
Communication Circuit

P1212 TCS Circuit

He is not quite sure what exactly they are. Anyone on here have any idea what codes might be? He thinks the TCS might be the electronic throttle control but is not 100%; I thought it was the traction control. He cleared the light and it hasn't returned so far; will see for how long.

Edit**

P1212 ABS/TCS Communication Line (Nissan)

The other U's are unidentifiable and is probably caused by the scanner itself.

Any idea how that would be affected by the temperature and would not let me to turn the car on?

Thanks for all your responses so far.

Last edited by Asad_A203; 02-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by toples z
I would say check the current on your battery and alternator. + you can always disconnect your battery for 5 min and see if the light goes away if not or if there is a problem then the light will come back on and then you can go to a mechanic. My parents have a FX45 and i also experience a problem starting it in the morning on cold days (all the time) sometimes it won’t even turn over and when it does it shuts off right away. I would thing that its the Starter or the coil.
Hmm; I checked out the battery last night. I pulled up in front my garage; turned the Xenons on; and cranked up the stereo. In my Accord; I could tell when the battery/alternator was going becuase the light output would diminish. Didn't happen in the G; but the power seats are painfully slow (has been all winter though).

So the problem is with the TCS; wierd. How would -40C weather cause the TCS to eff up; I was really thinking it was going to be a sensor.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
XuperXero

ABS/TCS sensor should have nothing to do with starting... I disabled mine completely and never had a starting problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by XuperXero
ABS/TCS sensor should have nothing to do with starting... I disabled mine completely and never had a starting problem.

Yeah thats what I thought as well (alot of people have TCS/ABS disabled); and if there would be a problem; wouldn't the TCS/ABS light lit up? Car should still be able to start.

So do you guys think there is still an issue with the ignition? There doesn't seem to be a problem now; but I wonder why that light came up... It usually takes 100 Miles for the light to return if it is serious right?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 AM
gsedanman

Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Thanks for the advice Colin. I went to one of the shops around the city and got the codes that caused the error code:

U1000 Controller Area Network
Communication Circuit

U1001 Controller Area Network
Communication Circuit

P1212 TCS Circuit

He is not quite sure what exactly they are. Anyone on here have any idea what codes might be? He thinks the TCS might be the electronic throttle control but is not 100%; I thought it was the traction control. He cleared the light and it hasn't returned so far; will see for how long.

Edit**

P1212 ABS/TCS Communication Line (Nissan)

The other U's are unidentifiable and is probably caused by the scanner itself.

Any idea how that would be affected by the temperature and would not let me to turn the car on?

Thanks for all your responses so far.
Asad,
ABS/TCS code is Anti-lock and Traction Control system..If the Malfunction light hasn't come back then the issue has corrected itself....Might be due to water/ice in the TCS/ABS wiring (at each wheel) which now has been corrected.

The other codes (U1000/U1001) are communication errors btw the car's computer and the reader. (I would ignore them.)

You'll have to wait and see if the MIL comes back and go from there.
G/L
Colin
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by gsedanman
Asad,
ABS/TCS code is Anti-lock and Traction Control system..If the Malfunction light hasn't come back then the issue has corrected itself....Might be due to water/ice in the TCS/ABS wiring (at each wheel) which now has been corrected.

The other codes (U1000/U1001) are communication errors btw the car's computer and the reader. (I would ignore them.)

You'll have to wait and see if the MIL comes back and go from there.
G/L
Colin
Thanks again for the advice. Nothing has popped up again; and car has probably been driven about 30km since I got it reset; started about 12 times. Will let you know when I reach the 100 Mile mark; and see if it will come back. I rarely drive my car though; so it might take a while; haha.