Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

warranty and extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
StEeElNuTz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty and extended warranty?

Hi,
I just bought a 350z yesterday from the USA and it is now waiting for the 72 hours delay at the border.

The thing is the salesman told me that when you buy the 350z in the USA, the base warranty will be void is the car is register in Canada. Than, he told me the extended warranty will be good in Canada, but an user here told me it wasn't and the base was still good!?! I'm kinda shock, frustrated, angry, name it... I tried to call Nissan Canada today and it was closed. Nissan USA told me to speak with my dealer and the base warranty was void if the car wasn't registered in USA prior to Canada.

Can anyone who recently bought a 350z new and not registered in USA first could help me to figure that out? It would be amazing to know the real facts and a lot less stressfull since I still have to pass thru the RIV thing

Thank you x 100000000000000000000!!!!!

Jonathan
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Z_35TH_Z
Rainman

You have no warranty... regular factory and extended will not be honoured in Canada if you got it new in the US

Last edited by Z_35TH_Z; 07-02-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time...

to turbo it up
Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
XuperXero

If you bought it brand new, you have no warranty.
If you bought it used where the car has been in the US soil for longer than 6 months, than you have warranty.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 AM
avandss

im the user he is talking about, i got my car 2 months old with 1700km and i transferred the warranty to canada with no problem!!

the 6 month thing you guys are talking about has nothing to do with voiding the warranty, if you buy a brand new car that has never been registered in the US, you can register it in canada but may not sell it for 6 months or the warranty will be void, in other words nissan does not want to buy new and re-sell in canada!

Unless the rules have changed the base warranty is fully covered in Canada, but never the extended
Old 07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
g35koupe

Originally Posted by avandss
im the user he is talking about, i got my car 2 months old with 1700km and i transferred the warranty to canada with no problem!!

the 6 month thing you guys are talking about has nothing to do with voiding the warranty, if you buy a brand new car that has never been registered in the US, you can register it in canada but may not sell it for 6 months or the warranty will be void, in other words nissan does not want to buy new and re-sell in canada!

Unless the rules have changed the base warranty is fully covered in Canada, but never the extended
Your point is interesting. I don't dispute it considering that your warranty is being honoured, but when I spoke to Nissan Canada, their interpretation of the rules was slightly different. They stated that in order for them to honour the warranty of a US car, the vehicle must have first been purchased and registered in the US, by a US resident, for a minimum of six months. Only after that time period, can the vehicle be imported into Canda and the warranty honoured. Basically, their point is that the car must be owned for a while in the US, before it can be sold in Canada in order to prevent people from simply buying a new US car and bringing it across the border.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
StEeElNuTz

ya avandss I think they are right. I just called today and it needed to be registered in USA first and then, import in Canada.

Basicaly, I got screwed on that part

Let's hope nothing will brake...

thank you guys
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by StEeElNuTz
ya avandss I think they are right. I just called today and it needed to be registered in USA first and then, import in Canada.

Basicaly, I got screwed on that part

Let's hope nothing will brake...

thank you guys
Worst case scenario, you call the road side assistance and have them tow you to the nearest nissan dealer south of the border..
Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by avandss

You should hook up the OP, with your dealership...
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
StEeElNuTz

I just found that you can buy an extended warranty with a company which is not affiliated to the manufacturer. It's about 2300$ for a 5 years 100k km for the 350z. I know the price is higher but it's maybe worth it?

Did any of you bought that kind of warranty?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
avandss

call nissan martini, maybe they can help i mean the law must of changed because my car was only registered for 2 months according to carfax and it registered fine,,,,

dude that sux!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StEeElNuTz
I just found that you can buy an extended warranty with a company which is not affiliated to the manufacturer. It's about 2300$ for a 5 years 100k km for the 350z. I know the price is higher but it's maybe worth it?

Did any of you bought that kind of warranty?

Be very careful buying a warranty from these companies that are not affiliated with Nissan. Read the fine print on the contract before signing and giving these guys any of your hard earned money.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
StEeElNuTz

Originally Posted by Sickboy101
Be very careful buying a warranty from these companies that are not affiliated with Nissan. Read the fine print on the contract before signing and giving these guys any of your hard earned money.
ty ill watch it carefully!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
StEeElNuTz

Anyone heard of ensurall? They now cover with a warranty the US imported cars to Canada. If you got feedbacks from them it would be nice to show them up!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Spec_Tacular

You should have bought a Canadian one. If and when you go to trade in a US vehicle it will have very very low resale value. It's hard to get a number from any wholesaler on a US vehicle and at auction the US vehicle lane has no bidders.

If Nissan USA should be able to answer the question as it is still them covering the warranty. Nissan Canada honours the vehicles they sell and calling Nissan Canada isn't going to help you.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
StEeElNuTz

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
You should have bought a Canadian one. If and when you go to trade in a US vehicle it will have very very low resale value. It's hard to get a number from any wholesaler on a US vehicle and at auction the US vehicle lane has no bidders.

If Nissan USA should be able to answer the question as it is still them covering the warranty. Nissan Canada honours the vehicles they sell and calling Nissan Canada isn't going to help you.
I don't understand your point... I saved about 17k$ on the car... Yeah the warranty is no good but with the amount of money I saved, I'm going to need some big badlucks to get in the red. Plus, if I find a good company that provide warranty for 2k$, I won't need to be afraid for anything.

For the resale value, I'm pretty sure I won't lose a lot of money if I decide te resale it in 1-2 years but, it's not my goal since I just bought it :P