Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Clicking sound when applying brake & turning steering wheel at the same time...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
smartidiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound when applying brake & turning steering wheel at the same time...HELP

So I have been quite annoyed by this clicking sound ever since I bought my second hand 2004 G35 Couple 5AT a year ago.. after doing some online research and had two inspections done by two mechanics.. I am 99%sure that the sound is coming from my front brake components as it only happens when i brake & turning my steering wheel..

However, I am unable to pinpoint which part of the brake is causing this irritating sound ..so after some further research.. here are the possiblities

1) When the previous owner replaced the OEM brake pads with the aftermarket ones.. he didn't do a good a job that the bedding procedure wasn't followed correctly. If this is the case, then the clicking sound can be eliminated simply by replacing the brake pads.. best scenario it is

2) Uneven rotor surface.. this is pretty self-explanary. .. the suraface of my front rotors are uneven so that when the pads are applied, it causes extra friction and thus making the clicking sound..if this is the case.. then the sound can be eliminated by replacing my front rotors.. cost slightly more expensive than 1)

3) The pistons within the rotors are becoming "sticky" after the car has been driven for 60,000 miles. Therefore when I release the brake, the piston is still screeching the pads and thus causing the sound...If this is the case, then my qusetion would be.. does anybody know if i can simply ask a mechanic (or delaership) to replace the existing piston out of the caliper without having to purcahse a new set of calipers (which are extremely expensive in Canada)???

I have contact a local dealership in Toronto today and they do sell pistons separately. but i'd like to know if ithe labor is gonna cost me an arm and a leg (or it may not even be possbile...)

Also, out of 3 scenarios how do i know for certain which one is the true cause ? (or maybe there are more possiblitiesthat i haven't considered here..)

this brake clicking sound is not THTA big of a deal for now..but it does annoy me to a point that I have loved my car a lot less.... DOMO

any opinions are highly appreciated...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 PM
xdragus

I suggest new brakepads and rotors fixed to see if that is the cause before going towards a solutions thats going to cost you a lot of money.

The pistons within the rotors...seems highly unlikely unless some people who track their car very heavy can chime in. Have you tried posting this in the g35 forums?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brakes clicking???

Do you you feel the brake pedal "pulsing"?(for lack of a better word) and you hear an audible clicking at the same time?

... Do you have after market wheels? If so, post up the sizes.. It could be your abs is going nuts...

Last edited by Reality350; 11-12-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
jasonintoronto

if the brake pedal is pulsing, it could just be the abs sensor that needs to be adjusted
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
XuperXero

Sounds like EBD as well, my pads and rotors became unevenly worn out when my EBD screwed up. I just disabled it then replaced pads and rotors.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
smartidiot

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Sounds like EBD as well, my pads and rotors became unevenly worn out when my EBD screwed up. I just disabled it then replaced pads and rotors.
sorry for the silly question.. but what does EBD stand for? Electronic Braking Device?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM
maroli

electronic brake distribution
do zeds even have ebd?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
XuperXero

^Yup
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
smartidiot

Originally Posted by XuperXero
Yeah I did
http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...time-help.html

Actually.. someone else posted a very similar question
http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...xle-click.html

I wonder if we are having the same issue....
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
smartidiot

Thanks everyone.

one more question here.. can anybody explain to me what these components are and whether they could possibly be the origin of the clicking noise?

- Wheel bearing ???
- tie-rod (is this the same as the Compression Rod that has been mentioned many times on this forum)?
- CV Joint (Consant velocity joint) ????
- Rear Axle ??
- Ball joint??

Thanks again Guys!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
edvy

1, wheel bearing is the bridge b/t the wheel n the knuckle, this bearing allows your wheel to spin freely

2, tie-rod is the connection from the knuckle to the rack n pinion. as you turn the steering wheel, the steering axle that connects to the pinion will shift the tie rod steer left/right

3, cv joint is located on the drive shaft that connects b/t the tranny n the wheel hub so that your tranny turns > wheels turn.... (FF car) on your z your cv shafts are located on the rear b/t the differential n wheel

4, ^^

5, ball joint connects the knuckle to the control arms. in your z there will be 3 on each side. which are on the upper A arm, tranverse link and compression rod

n all ^^ components could make clicking noise.... why dont u bring your car to another shop for a second opinion.

Last edited by edvy; 11-19-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
noodleman

Originally Posted by edvy
n all ^^ components could make clicking noise.... why dont u bring your car to another shop for a second opinion.
I hear Advance Powerhouse is a good shop to take it too
Old 11-19-2008, 10:59 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

hey edvy, i have this weird "chuhhhhh" noise that comes out of my car whenever i let off the gas. do you know what that could be?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
edvy

we could take that bov off n seal the intake pipe.... prob fixed
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

Originally Posted by edvy
we could take that bov off n seal the intake pipe.... prob fixed
bov?

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

bank of valletta?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
edvy

Originally Posted by goneinsixtyseconds

lol,, nice joke

BUT BOV > BLOW ON VIRGxxA
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

okay, we're thread crapping ed. i can sense any minute now noodle or reality will jump in and tell us to take it to uect

BACK ON TOPIC:
i would also say that a second opinion is needed. if your z is still under warrenty, bring it back to the dealer to troubleshoot. if not, there are tons of shops to choose from from advance to speedstar. pick your poison
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Reality350

^I gota agree with the others.. Time to let the pro's takeover