Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Taking car out from winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait till mid April after a few good rains.. I took mine out at the end of March last year. It got crazy snowed on, and I ended up driving on dry salty roads like twice. I didnt like the salt on my Volks at all. I'm not taking it out till April after rain this year.
As for the 911's n' ****... Rich people do what they want. I actually saw a bit on Motoring about a winter driving school for Lamborghini owners.. Porsche has one too.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Caledan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Wait till mid April after a few good rains.. I took mine out at the end of March last year. It got crazy snowed on, and I ended up driving on dry salty roads like twice. I didnt like the salt on my Volks at all. I'm not taking it out till April after rain this year.
As for the 911's n' ****... Rich people do what they want. I actually saw a bit on Motoring about a winter driving school for Lamborghini owners.. Porsche has one too.
O damn...sry to hear about that....alright.... I guess mid April it is then~ Mid April seems so far away atm....
Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Reality350

^Mainly because they have $$$.. but also because they lease their vehicles....
-I work DT and have seen Ferrari's out and about...
Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
BluRed

Originally Posted by mistanismo
maroli - yes, that's about all I would reccomend, I did the same on my car before putting it into storage.

BluRed... First off, the attitude is not necessary. I was paying 135$ a month for a private storage locker that seemed essentially wasted as I now have 2 parking spots available in my driveway... so I took the Z out, drove it a few times... when it's parked it's covered (I actually have a new cover on the way from the states made out of NOAH custom cut for the nismo). It seems just as logical to have it sit in my driveway covered and if the weather permits, driven..

That's all I said. It's not my daily driver even in warmer weather anymore... and I can assure you I pride myself in maintaining my car as meticulously as possible, budget permitting haha.

Not that it's any of your business, but unless you're turbocharged my 'winter beater' probably puts more down to the ground than your Z... All the more power to you however if you choose to keep yours in storage longer, I simply expressed my personal opinion and my experiance in regard to corrosion experianced.

I have never found the sand to be an issue *in mississauga*, nor as previously stated have i found large salt peices littered as they are more so in toronto and north along the 404/400... I don't take the car out of mississauga in general, nor would I in the winter / drive on roads I don't know.

I have never found an astronomical difference regardless winter vs summer driving in respect to chipping. Perhaps where you live it's different, again, just expressing my personal opinion.
Whoa, just put the gun down for a moment. I didnt mean to offend anyone here, im just saying that its only been in storage for a few months and you guys are hurting to drive it already? Must be that time of the month, ill mark it on my calendar...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Reality350

^lol!.. I thought you were talking to the, OP...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
maroli

Originally Posted by BluRed
Whoa, just put the gun down for a moment. I didnt mean to offend anyone here, im just saying that its only been in storage for a few months and you guys are hurting to drive it already? Must be that time of the month, ill mark it on my calendar...
Ah, you're referring to a woman's menstrual cycle. Clever. I see what you did there. :P
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
GT-Rob

You guys are all wimps. Its just a car. Take off the $4000 wheels, put on some $200 steelies, and enjoy the car. A guy at work saw me parking today and said "you must hate driving that in the winter eh!" I replied "NOPE!".
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
GT83 HR

Originally Posted by GT-Rob
You guys are all wimps. Its just a car. Take off the $4000 wheels, put on some $200 steelies, and enjoy the car. A guy at work saw me parking today and said "you must hate driving that in the winter eh!" I replied "NOPE!".
I dont think its so much about the $4000 wheels, I have stock wheels on and I still prefer not to drive the car in the winter nor do I use it as a daily for the rest of the year. True, it is a car...however I rather have dents, scratches, chips and swirls on a car I dont care much about rather then the Z. It doesnt mean I dont enjoy the car any less then someone that drives it all year around.

The idea is I keep the car in the best possible condition while owning it. If the time comes that I want to sell the car I'll pull out a little more value due to the low km's and condition of the car.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah I probably do the last week of April.
To pass the time I just start adding 76 coats of wax in the garage so when it comes out it's totally blinding.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
2TH PWR

No it's about me having my car in 2030 and you selling yours next year.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM
4DGS

Both my Z and G come out on the 1st of April.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 AM
GT-Rob

Originally Posted by GT83 HR
I dont think its so much about the $4000 wheels, I have stock wheels on and I still prefer not to drive the car in the winter nor do I use it as a daily for the rest of the year. True, it is a car...however I rather have dents, scratches, chips and swirls on a car I dont care much about rather then the Z. It doesnt mean I dont enjoy the car any less then someone that drives it all year around.

The idea is I keep the car in the best possible condition while owning it. If the time comes that I want to sell the car I'll pull out a little more value due to the low km's and condition of the car.

If the plan is to keep it in the best condition possible to help the resale, you bought the wrong car! 60k retail and 5 years later its worth maybe 20? You may pull an extra 3-5k out of it for being in amazing condition, which works out to be not a lot of money over a long time time of owning it.

I guess I just don't see the car the same as you guys. I plan to put in a lot of laps on the track, which is 10 times worse than a little snow on the way to work. I doubt I will sell it next year, but theres no way I would keep it 20 (life is too short for that kind of logic).

Except for a few exceptions, a car is a depreciating, disposable utility.

Anyway, I seemed to be upsetting people by letting them know they drive a Nissan and not a Ferrari, so I'll leave it at that
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM
maroli

If the plan is to keep it in the best condition possible to help the resale, you bought the wrong car! 60k retail and 5 years later its worth maybe 20? You may pull an extra 3-5k out of it for being in amazing condition, which works out to be not a lot of money over a long time time of owning it.

I guess I just don't see the car the same as you guys. I plan to put in a lot of laps on the track, which is 10 times worse than a little snow on the way to work. I doubt I will sell it next year, but theres no way I would keep it 20 (life is too short for that kind of logic).

Except for a few exceptions, a car is a depreciating, disposable utility.

Anyway, I seemed to be upsetting people by letting them know they drive a Nissan and not a Ferrari, so I'll leave it at that

This is why I wish I had a Pagani. 4 years and 12,000 miles after being bought new, Zonda S' go for 30% more.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
2TH PWR

Keeping every sports car you ever bought is awesome! That way I can walk out to my garage when I'm 50 and be like, haha I drove this when I was 24
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM
FaIRLaDiiZ

i just don't have that extra money for a winter car plus i have to pay for extra insurance and parking and all that fees...

so i drive my Z the whole winter....

.but i take TTC when it snows...lol...

Last edited by FaIRLaDiiZ; 03-04-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Smasher

Calling for +10 this weekend very tempting.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Reality350

^Bring the z out sat! I want a ride
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Smasher

That's what I was thinking. Roads will be dry except for areas the snow is melting and it will ne nice enough I can give her a nice wash when I get home.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
2TH PWR

It will be sandy gravel salt city.
Not worth it.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Smasher

I dont know the roads I generally travel are pretty clear. We havn't had that much snow this year to bring the sanders/salters out nearly as often. My home street however is covered with sand but thats just a tiny stretch and no speed whatsoever...

Insurance is now back of for Sat so I have the option, be a lookout for the ZR crusing accross TO sat

Quick Reply: Taking car out from winter storage