Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Taking car out from winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
FaIRLaDiiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0605
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
theprezzz77

Originally Posted by Reality350
You guys need some serious rain.. hopefully this weekend cleans up the roads
The street sweepers have usually always been my indication as to when my summer car(s) come out to play....the weather may be nice, but a lot of the roads are still riddled with crap
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Kiriller

Streets where i drive are pretty great, only thing i dont like is the snow melting and creating moisture on the road, other than that, im happy. Been diving since saturday.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
gyotar

I'm debating putting on the summer wheels this weekend...think I'm being a bit premature?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Bloodtype:Z

I have a feeling we'll get another snowfall, we always seem to get one right around April just before the nice weather comes to stay for good. I'm preparing myself to wait til May just to make sure all the salt/pebbles/sand and washed/swept away
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
mistanismo

Yesterday major radio stations / weather networks announced winter, as per the projected month long forcast is officially over early. Lowest we're looking at is 5ish until the end of March, i'd say it's probably alright.

Regardless, i'd like some rain and some friggin street sweepers in mississauga would be nice... I've actually never seen one lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Bloodtype:Z

Seen you rolling around dundas last few days Lucas, the Nismo is lookin FRESH!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Kiriller

Originally Posted by gyotar
...think I'm being a bit premature?
i dont know, perhaps ask your wife/gf?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
lovemyVQ

I did an oil change before putting the Z away for the winter, is it necessary to get another one before driving it again? I was just going to wait till it was due what do you guys think?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
stanleylee

i dont think u need another oil change
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
BluRed

Thought you were supposed to change every 5000km/3months. Whichever one comes first... I changed it before I stored it and Im gonna change it again before I start driving it again.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BluRed
Thought you were supposed to change every 5000km/3months. Whichever one comes first... I changed it before I stored it and Im gonna change it again before I start driving it again.
I dunno...the engines not moving and the oil isn't collecting carbon to dirty it, so it should be fine I would've thought
Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
lovemyVQ

Maybe I'll do it a bit ahead of schedule just to be safe. The car hasn't moved or been started since the oil change before it went into storage. The oil can't be that worn out and should still be fairly good. Maybe change it at 1500 kms instead of 3000. Just worried about it sitting for 3 months.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
xenonZ

I've taken out the Z today, called insurance and done. My pos civic is gone! and back into the Z. Feels so good. After all the rain for the past 3 days... the streets look nice.. no whiteness and very little rocks and garbage. Atleast here in Mississauga.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 AM
mistanismo

If you buy high quality oil I see no point in an oil change post-winter storage, assuming you've only been in there 4-5 months... and you didn't turn the car on, there's been no circulation and as maroli mentioned, contamination. I had literally 6kms on the car from oil change to winter storage, no noticeable differences in anything, including fuel consumption. the 5000km/3 month rule is applicable to what is considered 'standard' daily driving. Obviously, if you don't DD your car, who'se going to go 5000km in 3 months? Would you change your oil every 3 months if you only drove your Z 100km a weeK? I don't think so lol.

Save your $ for stuff that matters guys

EDIT: Thanks Victor, the roads arn't THAT bad, you should get yours out before may at least I think? My street is the worst lol, I don't go over 10km/h on it.. but I stick to main roads regardless usually!

did you get those intakes fab'd up?

Last edited by mistanismo; 03-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
lovemyVQ

Originally Posted by mistanismo
If you buy high quality oil I see no point in an oil change post-winter storage, assuming you've only been in there 4-5 months... and you didn't turn the car on, there's been no circulation and as maroli mentioned, contamination. I had literally 6kms on the car from oil change to winter storage, no noticeable differences in anything, including fuel consumption. the 5000km/3 month rule is applicable to what is considered 'standard' daily driving. Obviously, if you don't DD your car, who'se going to go 5000km in 3 months? Would you change your oil every 3 months if you only drove your Z 100km a weeK? I don't think so lol.

You make a good point. I drove it around today and it felt great so I'll wait till it's due. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

my car is now officially out... insurance has been added... lets hope the weather stays in the double digits.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Wu-Watt

Apparently when oil sits in the crank case for extended periods of time some type of reaction happens and causes the oil to be harmful to your engine. That is why it is suggested to change before and after.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Kiriller

^ Nah, just relax and drive it. cars sit on used car dealer lots for ages with out before and after change, and still drive fine
Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by mistanismo

Sorry, you are incorrect.. and nothing is important then your engine....

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
Apparently when oil sits in the crank case for extended periods of time some type of reaction happens and causes the oil to be harmful to your engine. That is why it is suggested to change before and after.
^He is correct..
-The oils additives break down (Oil is not working as designed if this happens)
-The oil absorbs moisture from sitting to long.. (this is normally prevented while driving because of the heating cycles)
The above are problems associated with letting your car sit for extended periods of time.
This is also the reason why many of us "older" members/owners have always stored using Dino oil... I would put in a fresh batch of Castrol GTX. ($25) then switch that out with a high quality Synthetic once out of storage.
Really.. whats $25 before you store?

Originally Posted by Kiriller
^ Nah, just relax and drive it. cars sit on used car dealer lots for ages with out before and after change, and still drive fine
^You kidding! Do you think dealership give a shiet? LoL!

Last edited by Reality350; 03-17-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking car out from winter storage