Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Taking car out from winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
mistanismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'm always ready to emancipate previous statements if they are indeed incorrect, so for clarification on the issue, what should be considered 'extended' periods of time?

Are we talking 4 weeks? 2 months? 5 etc?

Would you say this is an issue for people who only drive their Z a few times per month at all?

Your logic does make sense, I did change my oil right before storage and was stored from approximately mid november until the beggining of febuary without being turned on at all, That is a period of less than 3 months, would you say that qualifies? I was planning on changing my oil had it been 5-6 months as per last winter, but with the way the weather panned out I figured myself and many members who only had their cars away for a similar duration of time would be 'safe'.

There's so much conflicing information regarding storage advice... hence the confusion, I suppose.

At any rate, I have some GC 0W30 in the engine now and was considering trying amsoil to see if it would net me some better fuel economy (as I have read such), both being true synthetics... pending your response I suppose I may change the oil in my driveway today or tomorrow, so get back on that !.

ps- any experiance / preferred oil personal choice? I know the only true syns left are essentially the GC, amsoil and Motul and motul didn't do too hot in the oil analysis thread, but i'm always open to opinions seeing as I haven't bought the oil for the next change yet.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
t350z

Interesting points on whether to change the oil coming out of storage. My research indicates that a fresh oil change with a high quality synthetic (Royal purple in mine) will not breakdown significantly enough to matter over winter storage if the car has not been run. I personally also prefer to store my car with synthetic because it will leave a lubricating film one the cylinder walls, rings, crank bearings, cams etc unlike conventional oil that will eventually run of everything. That way when you start it for the first time in the spring it will not be "dry". I go as far as plugging in my block heater for a few hours so it doesn't have a total cold start either.

I have never pulled the car out before May 1st due to that last snowfall or the debris, salt and dirt on the road. This year due to the light snowfall I may actually have it out early. Besides I want to do a "before" dyno pull prior to putting my new supercharger on and I'm getting anxious to get that done!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

my preference is to change the oil just before storage, then change it directly once I take it out of storage. I've had my car stored since mid Nov. The cost of an oil change is will worth it for the piece of mind.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mistanismo
Alright, I'm always ready to emancipate previous statements if they are indeed incorrect, so for clarification on the issue, what should be considered 'extended' periods of time?

Are we talking 4 weeks? 2 months? 5 etc?

Would you say this is an issue for people who only drive their Z a few times per month at all?

Your logic does make sense, I did change my oil right before storage and was stored from approximately mid november until the beggining of febuary without being turned on at all, That is a period of less than 3 months, would you say that qualifies? I was planning on changing my oil had it been 5-6 months as per last winter, but with the way the weather panned out I figured myself and many members who only had their cars away for a similar duration of time would be 'safe'.

There's so much conflicing information regarding storage advice... hence the confusion, I suppose.

At any rate, I have some GC 0W30 in the engine now and was considering trying amsoil to see if it would net me some better fuel economy (as I have read such), both being true synthetics... pending your response I suppose I may change the oil in my driveway today or tomorrow, so get back on that !.

ps- any experiance / preferred oil personal choice? I know the only true syns left are essentially the GC, amsoil and Motul and motul didn't do too hot in the oil analysis thread, but i'm always open to opinions seeing as I haven't bought the oil for the next change yet.

Thanks for the reply.
For me, the piece of mind that an oil change provides, is all the reasoning I need. Plus the cost of an oil change (esp if you do it yourself!) is negligible.
-If you drive the z, once a month and store in a temp controlled environment, I think you should stick with your reg maintenance schedule.. If your z sits for more then 2-3 months, either outdoors or in a cold damp garage, I would highly consider getting early oil changes. I would typically change my oil every 4000 km's or every 3 months, which ever came first.
All 3 of the oils you have listed are great in my books.
I absolutely love GC. If I could get Amsoil, I most definitely would. Motul 8100 is good stuff, just not one of my fav's.

Originally Posted by t350z
Interesting points on whether to change the oil coming out of storage. My research indicates that a fresh oil change with a high quality synthetic (Royal purple in mine) will not breakdown significantly enough to matter over winter storage if the car has not been run. I personally also prefer to store my car with synthetic because it will leave a lubricating film one the cylinder walls, rings, crank bearings, cams etc unlike conventional oil that will eventually run of everything. That way when you start it for the first time in the spring it will not be "dry". I go as far as plugging in my block heater for a few hours so it doesn't have a total cold start either.

I have never pulled the car out before May 1st due to that last snowfall or the debris, salt and dirt on the road. This year due to the light snowfall I may actually have it out early. Besides I want to do a "before" dyno pull prior to putting my new supercharger on and I'm getting anxious to get that done!!!
I agree, that high quality synthetic may not breakdown as fast. But I would not want to take any risks, considering the cost of oil.
-Also, considering you are now going FI -please rethink using RP.. It has horrible stats coming from the UAO's submitted by users from this forum. (in NA z's)
Contact XuperXero, for his first hand experience.

Originally Posted by Sickboy101
my preference is to change the oil just before storage, then change it directly once I take it out of storage. I've had my car stored since mid Nov. The cost of an oil change is will worth it for the piece of mind.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM
t350z

I agree, that high quality synthetic may not breakdown as fast. But I would not want to take any risks, considering the cost of oil.
-Also, considering you are now going FI -please rethink using RP.. It has horrible stats coming from the UAO's submitted by users from this forum. (in NA z's)
Contact XuperXero, for his first hand experience.

[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your input. I was considering switching back to Amsoil which I was very impressed with. RP is readily accessible but I think you're right now that I am going FI I will go back to Amsoil.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
mistanismo

I changed my oil the afternoon after reading his rebuttal lol, ate exactly 5 litres w/ filter change.

Unfortunatly, being lazy and wanting to do it sooner vs later, I did not put in Amsoil... guess that'll be next time, went with the GC again... I haven't been disappointed thus far. My initial butt dyno indicated perhaps smoother throttle... but it's very probable it was in my head.

On a positive note, mpg did increase by 1.5mpg.. so maybe it was needed.

Amsoil is available guys, you just gotta order it from a particular dealer (and order in gallon sizes to save $), you can order it online as well. Then either DIY or take to shop to do for you, they will probably be annoyed, but do it anyways.

When I put my car away and was in a rush, i brought 5 litres of GC to nissan and they charged me 29$. OEM filter included. so that's basically 20$ to do it for you.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:14 PM
theprezzz77

So I took the car out yesterday, I just couldnt handle it anymore. Although todays weather is like winter again, we even had some snow here in Mississauga for about an hour. Installed my headlights FINALLY and will say, although they look great, NEVER go see CinCity Designs to get them done, there is a couple small spots missing paint and I had to wire the LEDs up myself, oh and there was a small running light bulb missing.
Anyways I took her out cause I have lots of work to do on it, and a lot of shops to visit the next couple weeks. Took a shot of the front end though, the show and go licence plate holder is there, but the plate is hidden. Think it looks good thusfar!!!

Dino
Attached Thumbnails Taking car out from winter storage-350zdino.jpg   Taking car out from winter storage-350zdino2.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Kiriller

^ Looks good, sad to see another unhappy cincity customer lol, i think you should revive the good ol CC flame thread and put your thoughts into it.

On side note, seeing how shitty weather is going to be tomorrow, got my self alittle project to do over most of the day tomorrow, pics coming soon