Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Boost-worthy motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004 | 07:42 PM
pj5.0GT

Default Boost-worthy motors?

Hey guys, just wondering if the vq30dett motor would be an okay swap, since the rb's are hard to come by? It just seems that the vq35 is almost maxed out as is, and of course isn't boost friendly. Thanks
Old 11-29-2004 | 07:47 PM
JeffesonM

what production cars featured a VQ30DETT?
Old 11-29-2004 | 07:48 PM
pj5.0GT

the z32
Old 11-29-2004 | 08:02 PM
JeffesonM

pretty sure that was the VG
Old 11-29-2004 | 09:27 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Z32 was a VG30DETT. And I don't think you're going to get any more out of a VG as you would a VQ35. The VG isn't getting much more hp while stock with a TT, that's pretty impressive for a 3.5 N/A to do close to the amount a TT engine is producing. I think people are just taking a while to get to Supra DD numbers and people are starting to get anxious. We'll get there eventually, just takes time.
Old 11-29-2004 | 10:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by JeffesonM
what production cars featured a VQ30DETT?
there were a few nissan sedans in japan that had the VQ30DET in them...can't remember their names though...
Old 11-29-2004 | 10:19 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Default Re: Boost-worthy motors?

Originally posted by pj5.0GT
Hey guys, just wondering if the vq30dett motor would be an okay swap, since the rb's are hard to come by? It just seems that the vq35 is almost maxed out as is, and of course isn't boost friendly. Thanks
the VQ isn't boost friendly??? There are guys near 500whp on boost on completely stock motors.

and if you want to talk block strength...take a look at the vids from this thread...that's a Z with a VQ35 that still has it's stock crank and stock intake manifold.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=98178
Old 11-29-2004 | 11:01 PM
Methane

Default Re: Boost-worthy motors?

Originally posted by pj5.0GT
the VQ35 isnt boost friendly???? have you even been looking through these forums??? There are quite a few FI Z's here and there will be plenty more in the future.
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:36 PM
JeffesonM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
there were a few nissan sedans in japan that had the VQ30DET in them...can't remember their names though...
yeah the Cedric/Gloria came with the VQ30DET, but I don't think there was ever a twin-turbo version produced for the mass market
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:43 PM
002-M-P

I'm sure he was probably refering to the VG30DETT. While the VG30DETT can produce some big numbers, the VQ35 with the same amount of money put into it should yield as much or more eventually. Remember how old the 350Z is and how much is already been done to it. Now imagine what will have been made on these motors after 15 years of people working with them like they have had on the 300ZX with the VG30DETT.

Also to get those big numbers out of the VG30 it will need to be built with forged internals. You can do this with the VG35 as well, just build it with lower compression pistons and it will open up the ability for much more boost. So far I have seen posted about 620 rwhp at 17 psi on 93 octane pump gas.

Yea this got longer than i meant for it to be and I don't really know where I am going with it, so take it as you will.
Old 11-30-2004 | 04:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by JeffesonM
yeah the Cedric/Gloria came with the VQ30DET, but I don't think there was ever a twin-turbo version produced for the mass market
yea..I don't think there ever was a production model VQ30DETT...
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:41 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

The VQ motor is designed to be an NA motor. It holds up to the abuse of FI, but just like any NA car out there. Some will blow, wome wont, and it will all create undue stress on the motor, period. There are some guys running high HP figures on stock internals, but I highly doubt they will last (not to start flaming). Only reason being is that the VQ shows it's weaknesses under FI conditions. A bottom end buildup will be needed for anything other than basic FI kits. If you up the boost, etc... a bottem end buildup would be more promising. And when I mean a bottem end buildup is Needed, I mean that fo reliablity sake, it's needed. Many people have had issues with standard FI kits on their cars throughout these boards. ALOT depends on the install, and driver (and the driver's techniques etc...).
THis is where most of the problems are.....
Old 12-24-2004 | 12:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by Tony@Performance
The VQ motor is designed to be an NA motor.
Actually that's not true. The VQ BLOCK was originally designed for a German Racing series (that nissan was going to compete in) back in the early 90s. The series never took off..and instead of throwing away a great block design, Nissan put it in passenger cars and slowly started using it in some of their race cars. The VQ is now THE nissan racing motor.

Over in Japan VQs have come with turbos from the factory for over 10 years. The first was the VQ30DE-T and they now make a VQ35DE-TT that puts out over 500hp.

The only thing that makes the N/A varient VQ motors over here not extremly boost friendly is their high compression and what some think are weak rods but I don't necessarily agree. The STOCK crankshaft in the VQ35 is good for WELL OVER 1000whp, there have been NO documented sleeve failures in VQs under boost..and the STOCK headgasket is a 3 layer metal gasket that is more stout than what a lot of factory boosted motors come with.
Old 12-24-2004 | 02:45 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

That's what I was referring to; the US VQ motors, since that's what we're running...
The internals of the motor due to the compression of the engine do not handle boost at high levels, this is proven time and time again even with members on here. The engine can handle for a decent period of time boost at lower, more moderate levels, but under higher stress, the motor can't really take it. A lot of it here in the US more so than the internals, which granted are pretty strong for what they are, is the ECU. The ecu, especially here in CA where we have to run 91 **** gas, is constantly at odds with detonation, and adjusting timing. I have a Blitz RVIT meter in my car, and when the Timing is on the screen, you can see just how much the ecu adjusts under all conditions. I'm sure if you were to run FI at a higher level, and were rich enough to fill up with 100 octane or 98 octane all the time, the motor would handle it alot better.....
Old 12-24-2004 | 02:55 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally posted by Tony@Performance
That's what I was referring to; the US VQ motors, since that's what we're running...
The internals of the motor due to the compression of the engine do not handle boost at high levels, this is proven time and time again even with members on here. The engine can handle for a decent period of time boost at lower, more moderate levels, but under higher stress, the motor can't really take it. A lot of it here in the US more so than the internals, which granted are pretty strong for what they are, is the ECU. The ecu, especially here in CA where we have to run 91 **** gas, is constantly at odds with detonation, and adjusting timing. I have a Blitz RVIT meter in my car, and when the Timing is on the screen, you can see just how much the ecu adjusts under all conditions. I'm sure if you were to run FI at a higher level, and were rich enough to fill up with 100 octane or 98 octane all the time, the motor would handle it alot better.....
I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-24-2004 | 06:02 PM
laswyguy

All the JGTC 500 Zs are running VQ30DETT while the JCTC 300 on running VQ35DE. I think this should tell you soemthing. Im sure these Jap tuners know what they are doing and have the money to mod the VQ35 is necessary, but they dont.
Old 12-24-2004 | 06:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Default Re: Re: Boost-worthy motors?

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
the VQ isn't boost friendly??? There are guys near 500whp on boost on completely stock motors.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=98178
Well, not exactly stock. My buddy has every bolt on mod and upgraded larger GT series turbos and just about everything you can think of, and he pulls 500whp. YEs, the block is stock, but it still takes considerable money and effort to acheive 500whp on the VG30 motor.

As is the case with the VQ, but you have to change internals to acheive similar power levels.

That said, I think a swap to a VG30 would be a monumental waste of money. Just build up the VQ motor. A built VQ motor is superior in almost every way...at least for street usage it is. Take a look at the VG trq curve....very Supra'esq....nothing down low, and then tons of power up top. I prefer the torqiness of the VQ motor..much more streetable.
Old 12-25-2004 | 01:17 AM
dansouliere

If your going to spend money on a new engine that is "boost worthy" then buy a VQ35 SGP Racing Ultimate shortblock.

I think that engine would be boost worthy enough for you