Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Best way to go from N/A to F/I

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 06:02 AM
southern_info

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Best way to go from N/A to F/I

What parts would i need to purchase to have the best setup being N/A before going F/I with a bolt on? My car is stock and i've had it a little over 2wks and not sure how to go about things. Thanks for the suggestions....TIA
Old 12-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Gary King

All you need to go F/I is a healthy credit line on your charge card.

Seriously most kits whether turbo or supercharger provide you with everything you need to bolt it on to a stock car. It really depends on how far you want to go with it in terms of hp when looking in to additional mods such as exhaust, engine internals, etc.

Search around this site especially the forced induction section as there is tons of helpful info.

Decide what your goals are performance, drivabilty then go with what best fulfills those goals. But definitly do some research.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:38 AM
002-M-P

Best way I think to decide is 1)Pick if you want supercharger or turbo(s) 2) Out of what you which you want to go with pick what is the best for your price range (most SC kits cost similar, but not true with Turbo kits) 3)Will you be installing it yourself or having someone else install it (each kit installs in different amounts of time making different labor charges) 4) Buy the kit.

Basically the reason I said to choose between turbo and sc from the beginning before looking at price is because you will be much happier getting what you really want after saving for it rather than settling for something that costs less. So don't figure out what you want and go from there.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 AM
TheBigShow

upgraded internals.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TheBigShow
upgraded internals.
Ditto, and proper tuning once you get F/I will help a lot.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:48 AM
axxizzer

Id only suggest the extra thousands of $$ for upgraded internals if you plan on running more than the kit's stock boost.

But if youre hovering around 7psi, then you should be reat without it
Old 12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
adrianko43

I think you should upgrade the internals first even if you are going to run the stock boost. There are a few that have blown their engines running on stock boost. The manufacturers say it's safe running the stock boost on stock internals, but it's just a matter of time before the eninge blows, with all the extra heat, and wear.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
AParshall04

you an always do exhaust and a plenum. Whats more important i think are bigger rims & tires so when you get FI youll be able to transfer the power to the wheels properly
Old 12-13-2004, 02:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm eventually doing FI as well, but I first wanted to cover my NA parts which can pretty much all be used for FI except a select few of them. Also I don't want to 100% kill off my engine warrenty quite yet being all new. I figure in a year or two, there'll be more feedback on how FI configurations hold up as well as even more/better/more reliable parts out on the market.

My take on modding was that I mainly want to get my car to be a nice reliable track car and become a better driver, then when the time is right add more power
Old 12-13-2004, 02:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

if you're going twin turbo, don't get headers

if you're getting supercharger, don't get pulley or possibly plenum depending on kit

for either route, if you get a lightweight clutch/flywheel make sure it can handle the extra power. Or if it's going to be a few years before you go FI, then get whatever clutch/flywheel you want cause by then it'll be time for a new one anyway

Some kits come with different parts. You probably want to get an intercooler if the kit doesn't come with one - or at least an aftermarket radiator or something like a vented hood

you'll want wider tires if you want to maximum fun/control
Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
DLin05

if you're gettin the HKS SC, dont get test pipes or plenum....or anything else at that...
Old 12-13-2004, 02:49 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I was thinking about HKS, but after finding out it's designed to work with a completely stock car, that takes out too much fun out of adding it.