Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Mobil-1 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:10 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil-1 Performance

An extra $1 a quart. Is it worth it? Says you can go 15K mileage wise.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...rformance.aspx

"You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed"

So how much better is it than Mobil-1 Syntetic? Or is it another Marketing gimmick? Thoughts?

Last edited by zand02max; 02-14-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOOO

yeah its almost as funny as the mobil clean 5000

Its total marketing BS. They did good with the extra additives but they're crazy in extending to 15,000 miles.

Its really about how you drive your car. If your a warmer upper, highway man, speed limit driver. There couldn't be a better oil.

If your like the rest of us. drive when you turn the key. Race the stop lights or friends, drive in town at 25-45, or get near a dirt road. This will not be a could choice.

the 3000 mile oil change i agree was a marketing hype for oil companies. But still they took the high and low and averaged together to get a number everyone can use.

I wouldn't waste my money.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
JonsilvZ

I don't think its worth it. Better to change it sooner than 15k miles. Even if they add "special additives"it still breaks down. But I wouldnt wait that long for an oil change!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Kray Z

no doubt. I wouldn't either. I drove my last vehicle so little time ran out far before mileage. But when i did drive i was every like 2000-3000. The extended service is more for DRIVERs like truckers haulers etc. For a sports car it gets way more attention.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Kray Z

anaylsis is the only way to prove or disprove the theroy
Old 02-14-2005, 06:29 PM
uplz4588

i use reg m1 and swtich it every 3k miles... so even if i used this i would still swtich at 3k
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Torkaholic

Originally posted by uplz4588
i use reg m1 and swtich it every 3k miles... so even if i used this i would still swtich at 3k
Obviously, it's your car and you should do whatever keeps you comfortable. I'd just recommend trying at least one used oil analysis on your 3k M1. I think you'll be pleassantly surprised. I've seen a lot of M1 UOA, and I've never seen it look even close to used up at 3k. I'm not saying you should jump cold turkey to 15k, but I think you'd see that unless you're living on a bad dirt road, 5k miles would still leave you with at least 50% of the oil's life remaining, and thus plenty of safety buffer space. It took me a long time, but the objective evidence finally overcame my brainwashed in dedication to the old 3/3. The VQ is a very clean runner, even with the puny filter (I do cheat, and use the tall filter...). See the UOA results I posted in this forum. Click Here. The tested oil had been in my VQ for about 5k miles, it's clean even by tougher hydraulic system standards (see the particle counts), and its TBN (acid neutralization ability) still has plenty to go (TBN usually starts at anywhere from 8-12, but declines rapidly at first, slowly in the "second half," my 3.8 probably indicates 50-60% life remaining). Really, you don't need to do it that often.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

yeah it's more marketing bs than anything. I like mobil one, but it's still a petrolium based oil, and no matter what i would never consider running that type of oil for more than 5000 miles in AN"Y CAR or condition.
even if the oil lasts, the protective coatings that are added to it do not.

no oil should go unchanged for that long. Even my dad's 745bmw says it can go long periods of time, but he doesn't trust that (even though that's a completely different oil altogether)

try motul it's really nice stuff, and performs well, and is true synthetic 100% not like mobil one....
Old 02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Torkaholic

Originally posted by Tony@Performance
yeah it's more marketing bs than anything. I like mobil one, but it's still a petrolium based oil, and no matter what i would never consider running that type of oil for more than 5000 miles in AN"Y CAR or condition.
even if the oil lasts, the protective coatings that are added to it do not.

no oil should go unchanged for that long. Even my dad's 745bmw says it can go long periods of time, but he doesn't trust that (even though that's a completely different oil altogether)

try motul it's really nice stuff, and performs well, and is true synthetic 100% not like mobil one....
We may be having a "definition of terms" problem here. M1 is not a petroleum-based oil, unless you stretch the term "petroleum" to include the ethylene gas from which the polyalphaolephin (PAO) molecules are built. On the other hand, PAO molecules are, essentially, "synthetic hydrocarbons" in that the PAO molecules are precisely "designed" to have the size, shape, and characteristics of the chosen natural hydrocarbon. Of course, PAO contains none of the contaminating junk present even in well cleaned mineral based oil. There is some misinformation going around (the internet especially) that M1 is a Group-III hydrocracked oil, like US-made Syntec. It's not. Both M1EP and M1 are primarily PAO formulations. Earlier versions even used to contain some esters in the blend, but in the most recent formulations, the ester has been replaced by alkylated napthalenes (ANs).

The real measure of an oil's quality, of course, is in the performance. Regardless of what it's made of, M1 products have consistently turned in outstanding, if not perfect, results in lab testing of used oil. Ironically, given the preferences of the parties to this thread, M1 and Motul both seem to generate high iron levels in some applications.

Back to the terminology thing for a moment. A lot of folks are surprised when they learn about the origins of esters. These are often derived from their more natural forms -- animal and plant fats! None of these products, esters, PAO, natural, etc., come from a magical fountain of automotive youth -- they're all just a bunch of plain old molecules, people do things to them, and then put them into an oil bottle. Then you dump them into your car and hope for the best.

Finally, the "protective coatings" you refer to also show up in lab testing, and in healthy engines are all still there through the duration of use. Again, look at the UOA I posted here. Calcium, zinc, phosphorous, etc each of those falls into the protective additive category. I'll be testing again with my current fill when it hits 7.5k, and I'll post the results. Stay tuned.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Kray Z

amen brother lol