Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:39 AM
nearly zer0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had wheel hop with the factory 17s. but i don't get it with my aftermarket ASA 17s w/toyo snow tires.

Only difference is that the snows obviously have less grip..

I'm going to be furious if when i pick up some summer rims/tires i get wheel hop..
Old 03-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Road Warrior

well i prefer to drift so i don't get any wheel hop when i am bringing that azz end around. however, it is annoying when you want to burn a little rubber off the line and find yourself hopping before you know it...what a drag

350g....you must go through tires like crazy....roasting in third has got to be a kick

in reality, you don't really want to get the car hopping in a drag race....sure your going to get a little spin but on a good launch your barely spinning the tires and maybe a chirpy going into second

the wheel hop really only occurs when your just "roasting" some rubber....which is fun to do on special occasions
Old 03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
sfarrah

I don't understand how an engine dampner or even solid tranny mounts will help in reducing wheel hop. Wheel hop as i understand it is caused by the compression/loading and subsequent unloading of the rear suspension and bushings. Solid subframe and diff bushings or subframe spacers are the only effective mods to eliminate wheel hop besides stiffer shocks and springs. At the drag strip however, a set of Mickey Thompson ET streets eliminates it totally for both my 300 and 350.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM
350G

I'm actually on my second set of 19s, but that's because the insurance company paid for 'em (DUI chick hit my parked car). If that didn't happen, I'm sure I would have received decent mileage out of them. I try not to wear them out too quick . . . .

G
Old 03-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Mantis3024

best way to eliminate wheelhop is to swap in a live axle, but then the handling won't be as good
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sfarrah
I don't understand how an engine dampner or even solid tranny mounts will help in reducing wheel hop. Wheel hop as i understand it is caused by the compression/loading and subsequent unloading of the rear suspension and bushings. Solid subframe and diff bushings or subframe spacers are the only effective mods to eliminate wheel hop besides stiffer shocks and springs. At the drag strip however, a set of Mickey Thompson ET streets eliminates it totally for both my 300 and 350.
you even see this in professional drag racing....and they have solid mounts to everything and direct drive from motor to the axels. some of this i believe is related to the tire (pressure, compound, etc) , and how much power your putting to the ground. too much at one time and you are going to spin the tires....however i don't know or understand what causes the wheels to "hop"
Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by sfarrah
wheel hop is not directly related to soft bushings(atleast not primarily).

It's mainly about a disordinate oscillating weight transfer on the suspension components. The soft bushings and IRS do not help.

Drivetrain movemennt greately contributes to the disorder in weight transfer.
Damper will reduced engine/drivetrain, it will make for a smoother weight transfer, reducing wheelhop. MT are good only at dragstrip, otherwise they are useless.

Last edited by Nano; 03-19-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 AM
orhanz33

as far as stock Z's on stock wheels/rubber, how come some have wheel hop and some don't? something must be different...

i've read every thread i can find on this forum about wheel hop and no one has found a solution yet! are those of us w/ wheel hop doomed forever?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
350G

Anyone have any experience with the rear JIC "traction" rods . . . ?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Dre Dizzle

Wheel hop disappeared when I put on the B&G springs
Old 03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
seanrulz

I have 19' Volks with 10.5 rears and 275/35 Toyo's, and I recently experienced pretty bad wheel hop when I launched hard on 1st. I also got Kinetix Camber/Traction rod but it doesn't seem help much. Weird thing is, it only happens occasionally.
So is this some machnical issue or driver's control issue? Hmm..
(I don't launch hard usually because I don't want any cop's attention. I already have ton's of them. )
Old 03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
jreiter

If no one knows for sure, then we might want to make a list of folks who have wheel hop and folks who don't... and what mods they have. This would be especially helpful from people who've gotten rid of it, or who've gotten it after having not had it.

I'm sure it has to do with a number of factors all working together. However, in the case of the Z I'm *guessing* it has to do with the tires. For example, I currently have Toyo T1-S tires (275/40/18) and they hop. I've read of many, many others around here with T1-Ses who also have hop. Does anyone with T1-S tires not have hop? Basically, I'm interested to see if we can find people who get hop with a certain tire and others who don't get hop with that same tire. That would be intriguing.

I was suppose to get new tires this weekend (S-03s), but it didn't work out. Too busy. I hope to get them installe asap (since they are at the shop waiting for me), so it'll be interesting to see what they do about the hop... if anything.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 PM
SupraTTurbo

I wonder how much tire pressure has to do with it. Im running stock pilot sports on my G-coupe, and also get wheel hop, it almost feels like somehitng is about to break which almost makes it afraid of launching the car. It's also hops in the rain too, when gunning it from a roll in either 1st or 2nd gear.
i'm currently tried form 35psi cold to 39psi cold. I think i migth have made like hops seem small, in a more forgiving way. Maybe someone else could try and let me know.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:28 AM
Nano

weather has LOTS to do with wheelhop

I didn't have any wheelhop until temperature got bellow 10C (50F).

damp roads on cold days are the worse.

I think the people that experience wheelhop the least are the ones who are in warm southern states.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Road Warrior

it ultimatley comes down to driver at some point...cuz if your hoppin your foot is in the gas and you have to let up to stop it. i get wheel hop slamming second sometimes...that sucks...but i have not heard of a consistant solution to this problem

our goal here is to eliminate the wheel hop without driver intervention, another words mechanically.

of course if the roads are wet your gonna spin the tires more easily...thus leading to wheel hop so the only pertinant info about weather would be how it effects tire pressure.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 AM
xephiron

SO3's will hop in cold, humid weather. I personally think an engine damper (on my list, Stillen) and a good set of coil-overs will solve the problem. Too many soft mounts and squishy springs on this car stock allowing too much instability. I am thinking the Tein BASIC damper coil-overs will work great, and they are only about $800. Both of these mods are great for the track too, from what people are posting. Great bang for the buck (total less than 1 grand).

(I have used 255/40r18 SO3's on the rear)
Old 03-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Road Warrior

well i have the hks ls+ coilovers and they didn't do anything for the wheel hop. i have my coilovers dialed in now for the way i like to drive....so changing my settings to reduce wheel hop is out of the question.

i would like to know more about these engine dampners....i know they work pretty well on fwd cars from experience. i have heard both bad and good reviews on these so its still up in the air. as far a stillen goes, well if you have to grind holes to make it fit that throws up a red flag for quality and i wouldn't buy it just for that reason. the 5-zigen looks good but is a bit pricey....would like to hear some feedback on this particular dampner.

so far from my research some have wheel hop and some don't (with the same setups)...which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. yes, i understand, sometimes it really doesn't matter as long as it works...but so far i haven't come accross a solution that is consistant with everybody.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-21-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
orhanz33

Originally Posted by Nano
weather has LOTS to do with wheelhop

I didn't have any wheelhop until temperature got bellow 10C (50F).

damp roads on cold days are the worse.

I think the people that experience wheelhop the least are the ones who are in warm southern states.
i presonally want to get rid of the wheel hop so i can launch the car easier.. i'd rather the car get a nice clean spin instead of the insane hopping! I think your referring to losing traction in general

+1 for the wheel hop with 275/40 Toyo T1-s.. when I first got them I tried a little launch and though it seemed like the wheel hop was reduced, it was only on that one launch

**also, the auto's that i've seen at the dragstrip don't seem to have wheel hop.. maybe it's mostly 6 speed Z's?

Last edited by orhanz33; 03-21-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Nano

Originally Posted by orhanz33
i presonally want to get rid of the wheel hop so i can launch the car easier.. i'd rather the car get a nice clean spin instead of the insane hopping! I think your referring to losing traction in general

+1 for the wheel hop with 275/40 Toyo T1-s.. when I first got them I tried a little launch and though it seemed like the wheel hop was reduced, it was only on that one launch

**also, the auto's that i've seen at the dragstrip don't seem to have wheel hop.. maybe it's mostly 6 speed Z's?
I was refering to wheelhop.

Wheelhop can be caused by hundreds of different factors. But it is almost always related back to weight transfer and suspensions. Cars with independent rear suspensions have a natural tendency to wheelhop. I'm at the dragstrip couple of times a month and have had my share of horrible 60' and wheelhop nightmares. I have been able to avoid wheelhop by feathering(I hate feathering) the clutch. On cold days and wet, wheelhop is ALWAYS worse(nothing to do with pressure).

It's a known fact cold increases wheelhop. Cold will have tires spinning easier and make weight transfer slower and more disordinate. Wheelhop and wheelspin are two sides of the same coin. The oscillation is generated in the first instants of acceleration.

Automatic 350z do not wheelhop at dragstrip. My guess is that it's due to the fact the rear suspension always has some load on it from start. On wet cold days, I'm confident auto Zs will wheelhop the same.

honestly, I don't think there is a cheap way to eliminate wheelhop.
I also believe that in same conditions, every Z will wheelhop.

Last edited by Nano; 03-21-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i have heard both bad and good reviews on these so its still up in the air. as far a stillen goes, well if you have to grind holes to make it fit that throws up a red flag for quality and i wouldn't buy it just for that reason.
To be honest the quality of the Stillen piece appears to be quite good. I mean, this is a *very* simple little contraption. Don't let the slight hole misalignment on that one plate deter you. It's pretty easy to correct, and it's only a very small offset. If you have extra money and are willing to spend it on the 5Zigen piece, though, that'd be fun since virtually no one has it. It also appears to be an easier install from just looking at the pics. But I can say from first hand experience the Stillen piece works great, and it's a much better deal than the 5Zigen which I feel is grossly overpriced.

Quick Reply: wheel hop