Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch and flywheel at 17.5k QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:02 AM
FRIT-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and flywheel at 17.5k QUESTIONS

My z is in the shop because I can feel my clutch slipping, they test drove it and said it definately needs a clutch and when they tear it down it may also need a flywheel.

Isn't this a little soon for this "maintenace"?
Can they just shave a few thousandths off the flywheel instead of installing a new one (like turning rotors)?
They said 900 for the clutch and 970 more if it needs a flywheel...how are those prices?
And last but not least...should I have them install regular clutch and flywheel or is now the time to install something from Nismo?

Thanks for your replies...I need answers by this afternoon.

Fritz
Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 AM
johnlotusboy

Oem flywheeel can't be surfaced due to 2 piece design and it is about $900. Buy Nismo if you want car to still seem more civilized, and it's half the price of original flywheel.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:49 AM
xephiron

I know that includes installation, but $1800 dollars makes me wanna puke for the stock setup. I would buy the Nismo flywheel/clutch for like $1k I think, and let them put that on there. I know it is a wear item, but I would try really really hard to get the labor kocked off or atleast reduced, not even 20k miles?

I only say Nismo if you wanna keep the "stock feel" and perhaps warranty. Personally, I would rather spend a little less to get the lighter and stronger clamping force of the JWT clutch/flywheel combo. It is supposed to still feel stock'ish and very streetable.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for that price you can get a nice aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
jreiter

I'd agree with the folks above: upgrade it. You'll spend less money and have a better performing setup. I have the JWT flywheel and love it: very light, but not *too* light. If a 14 pound JWT flywheel (vs 28 pound stock flywheel) sounds too light for you, consider the Nismo flywheel at about 21 pounds.

Also. you might consider the Nismo clutch instead of the JWT clutch. The Nismo clutch weighs a couple of pounds less than the JWT. I hear they are both great clutches, though.

Oh, and for what it's worth I have about the same mileage as you and my clutch also appears to be on its way out. The take-up point is completely at the end of the pedal travel, which to my knowledge suggests it's about gone. (Right?)

Last edited by jreiter; 04-08-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
baron

Besides quicker revving, what is the benefit of the JWT flywheel? I heard 0-60 times improves (1st and 2nd gear), but how about from roll on speeds with gears 3 to 6?

How about 1/4mi trap?

Is there much difference in performance using the JWT flywheel and clutch, versus just changing to the JWT flywheet and stock clutch?

Thanks,
Baron
Old 04-10-2005, 12:47 AM
jreiter

I'm using the JWT flywheel and stock clutch. Works great. The only difference is that the JWT (and Nismo) have higher clamping forces and can thus handle more torque. I believe the JWT clutch is about the same weight as stock, while the Nismo is a couple of pounds lighter.

Basically, the effects are:
  1. Quicker revving
    Just makes it so you can rev match and shift faster. This is a pretty big boon in the case of the 350Z, since the stock flywheel is so incredibly heavy and can be a bit of a bear to get matched quickly.
  2. Faster acceleration
    Lessening the rotating mass you'll get faster acceleration. In general, lower gears will show more improvement than higher gears. This is because your rpms climb faster in lower gears than they do in higher gears. That means lower gears are more affected by large rotational inertia than higher gears.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats wierd i have 60k miles and still have the stock clutch and now is when i feel i need to replace, i am also going to get the JWT combo from performance nissan give tony a call there he has good prices